Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Wall Art?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Wall Art?
« on: March 02, 2015, 07:13:56 PM »
Further to DD's posting about her bathroom plans and the question I posed 'What is Wall Art?'

Is it only art that will stand scrutiny hung on a wall or in the case of photography pictures that are taken purely for hanging on a wall?

How many people hang their work on their walls at home?

I can imagine the uproar that would ensue in our house if I deigned to hang any of my work anywhere in the house other than in my glory hole which I use as a workplace/office.

There's quite a few images hanging in other people's houses though, but as Mrs A says that's their choice, and they obviously know sweet fanny adams about either art or photography.  :doh:

Offline DigiDiva

Re: Wall Art?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:20:22 PM »
Be interest to hear people views.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:22:26 PM »
I have some of my work hanging on my walls. I don't call it art though.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 07:35:22 PM »
Photography is an art form. You should class your work as art.....look at those blue bottles . that was art. Your Christmas card surely was art?
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline David Blandford

• David Blandford Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:10:04 PM »
I have hung some of my work on the walls at home and even some of my wife's photographs, however I never though of them as art. It is just to bring back happy memories for us.
still trying to paint with light!!

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 09:03:38 PM »
I was brought up in a 'world of the Arts' - Mother taught Ballet and Father taught and worked professionally as an Artist. And with a studio for painting, at various times, Oil paintings plus mounted and framed Water Colours spilled out to fill the walls and or to lean precariously beside the furniture.

While there were a few works of art by others, the majority of pictures in the living room were Dad's, hung for the purpose of stimulating and inspiring new and further works.

So yes, I have a few of my own pieces of art along with works by my father, grandfather and my own children dotted around the house.

In fact, it is probably about time I printed out a few of my personal favorites for proper scrutiny in daily critique! As that may just get me inspired and hungry enough, to get out and shoot some more, for the best is always yet to come.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Sandy

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 09:19:48 AM »
I was thinking of putting some of my work on the walls, but at the moment cannot chose one.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 10:07:56 AM »
I was thinking of putting some of my work on the walls, but at the moment cannot chose one.

Why not have a regularly changing exhibition? You'll soon find out which ones 'work' best, or are easiest to live with.

Offline jinky

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:14:51 AM »
My wall hangings are mainly in my glory hole of an office but I do have some Cuba ands Northern Spain sets up downstairs along with a couple of favourites which often get favourable comments. I`ve promised my wife that they will change now rather than adding anymore! ;)

Offline hssutton

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »
I'm in the same camp as Reinardina " I have some of my work hanging on my walls. I don't call it art though. However most of my 'Art' pics are of aircraft and birds  ;)

Harry

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 02:19:33 PM »
We'll never agree on this. There are two camps in this case (not just on this forum, but worldwide), in opposite corners. But it's nice to agree to differ, and to throw your opinion in front of the forum.

There is an art to photography, and a photographer can have it down to a fine art, but this not automatically means his/her creations are (fine) art. To me, photography is a skill (that I am still trying to master).

You can arrange things artistically, and photograph them. You can create breathtakingly beautiful images, but despite all the creative and imaginative input of the photographer, it is a machine that produces the end result. And it can be reproduced ad infinitum.

To me, art has to be created by the human hand. It is unique. So I could find the imaginative and creative 'set up' by the photographer art, but the depiction of it, just a photograph.

Offline Simple

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 02:57:06 PM »
I have some of my wife's and my own pictures on the wall. We change them occasionally and enjoy the memories. I would never call them art, but they are decorative and I suppose it could be art. If an unmade bedroom can be art, surely a nicely presented photograph can be classed as art? 

Offline Graham

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 03:13:35 PM »
  I have my pictures on various rooms throughout the house (Not so many in the east wing. :) )
  Whether they are "Art" or not is for others to decide. I do have veto as to what gets hung (Hanged?) over my wife who tends to prefer the "Pretty" pictures that bore me to death.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 03:54:45 PM »
  I have my pictures on various rooms throughout the house (Not so many in the east wing. :) )
  Whether they are "Art" or not is for others to decide. I do have veto as to what gets hung (Hanged?) over my wife who tends to prefer the "Pretty" pictures that bore me to death.

Graham you disappoint me! If your wife likes Pretty, surely the east wing is ideal for that?
(And it is 'hung' as far as I'm aware.)

Offline Graham

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 03:58:57 PM »

Graham you disappoint me! If your wife likes Pretty, surely the east wing is ideal for that?
(And it is 'hung' as far as I'm aware.)

The east wing is closed to visitors for re-decoration, I'll consider your suggestion on completion.  :D
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 135/1 Oldboy Last post August 08, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 230/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 249/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636541/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 207/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 242/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM