Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Boring  (Read 1804 times)

Offline 2Beers

• CC Regular visitor
Boring
« on: February 18, 2015, 05:04:15 PM »
I thought I would post this as I find this place boring.

I log in here on a daily basis just to see the same inane subjects posted on a daily basis as well, subjects like what annoyed you today Etc and all these comp threads.

I am not into entering comps so these don interest me but there is absolutely no discussion about anything else  no critique threads or discussions about anything else photography related.

just having a  moan.

let the flames begin

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: Boring
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 05:35:52 PM »
I thought I would post this as I find this place boring.

I log in here on a daily basis just to see the same inane subjects posted on a daily basis as well, subjects like what annoyed you today Etc and all these comp threads.

I am not into entering comps so these don interest me but there is absolutely no discussion about anything else  no critique threads or discussions about anything else photography related.

just having a  moan.

let the flames begin

This is a start, but it's not about photography.

So, over to you to start an interesting discussion, preferably about photography, but anything will do really.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Paul Montgomery

• My photography website
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 07:17:05 PM »
Any forum is only as good as the content its members put in.
Say something interesting...

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 07:37:35 PM »
I actually agree with 2Beers, and with Paul as well. Problem is, only this kind of discussion ever gets any response.

People do not seem to have the time or inclination to actively take part, or set up anything at all.

This is a small site, with relatively few members, and it is the members who have to take care of the content. Time and time again, some have tried to rekindle interest, by reviving old favourites, or trying to get something new going.
But everything has already been done and people do not seem to be interested long term.

So yes, things do get boring.

We need new blood, but how to reach those new to photography?

Who has any ideas how to reach out to the mobile phone photographers, and lure them here, to show how they can get so much more out of their shots? To turn the selfie addicts into photographers?

Offline 2Beers

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 10:50:48 PM »
I basically posted this to try and provoke some form of discussion as the rest of the forum appears to be dead.

Just looking in the photography sections photo critique hasn't had a post since Dec 2013 and other sections are no better.

It's a pity as Reinardina says that it takes a post like this to provoke a little discussion, after all if no one  posts then this place will die, also I don't think that it's a case of attracting new members but more about getting those members that we have to post more also instead of putting it in the shout box make a post on the forum and try and get some interaction going

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:55:41 PM »
Been on quite a few forums small & large and not just photographic ones.
What has been said is totally correct you only get out what you put in and this is totally different for each individual member.

Personally I just like the comp section, I don't want to know what the latest gizmo is or how to do something as the Internet has taken over and I just look up what I want to know instead of ploughing through many posts to see if i can find what I want.

As fir critique, some people think that they are "photographers" and offer all sorts of interesting views on a picture, again I do not feel qualified to pass judgement on someone's picture especially if, in my view, it will be a negative comment, I am no expert to say what is right and wrong only what I like and don't like, hence I am one of those that do not pass comments that much.

New blood, again this is hard as you have to draw people in and the only thing on this forum is the weekly comps and some poss: help for a complete newbie.

Social media is where a lot of pictures are posted and perhaps the Facebook page should be pushed more, I for one always have a mobile phone with me for that shott that I am not expecting.

Can't say a lot more TBH, will think about this whilst I am away and revisit this post when back.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:57:12 PM by kerbside »

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 07:58:13 AM »
Maybe Facebook is the way forward, but I HATE the whole FB concept.

I tried it in the past, and was swamped by 'people I might know,' as FB tried to foist friends of friends on me. Also don't like to be told, I may have more friends than I realise.
And your privacy is at risk.

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 08:09:21 AM »
Reinardina, I use it all the time, it's a Marmite thing some love, some hate. I must admit I have always found it a great place to keep in touch with mates etc: and TBH have not had any troubles with it, I participate when and where I want, block idiots and only have genuine friends that I interact with. Not for some maybe but it works for me.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Offline 2Beers

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 10:16:09 AM »
I see also that a few people post their images into the gallery so why not into the main forum where others can easily see them and comment on them (not critique) but to say if they like them and why they like them.

I must admit that I don't view the galleries.

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 10:32:35 AM »
I see also that a few people post their images into the gallery so why not into the main forum where others can easily see them and comment on them (not critique) but to say if they like them and why they like them.

Your posts are very contradictory.
You want to see critique but you dont give any ?
You say your not qualified to do so ?  What qualities have any of us got to critique ? what makes you think others are better qualified than you ?
You also dont visit galleries  ?  Why not ? Its a one button click away.
So how do you know what and how many comments are there ?

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 10:36:32 AM »

You mean something like this?
http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=339.315

Offline StephenBatey

• Keep calm and carry on buying large format cameras
    • stephenbatey/
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 08:00:51 PM »
My problem with threads like that is that are monolithic; if you don't keep carefully up to date, you'll find that a new image has gone up and it's hard to comment on an earlier one. Or respond to a comment someone made on an earlier one. On the other hand, I do know from experience that some people regard it as the height of bad manners to respond to a response that someone made to your post which rather knocks discussion on the head - one shot at goal per person  :'( So I suppose that on the whole, it's OK (even though I don't like it).

I've been reading a long thread on another forum which has degenerated (as these threads always do) when once the question of "art" and artistic merit comes up. Not just on that forum, but on every other forum I've seen. "Art is subjective", "you can't teach creativity - people either have it or they don't" and any attempt to discuss meaning in images is a load of tripe (although a different word is usually employed). Once you've concluded that this sort of discussion is ill advised, what's left? Well, not a lot that interests me, to be honest.

I've no great interest in photographic equipment per se, only in the use I can make of it. Technical stuff - well, I cope with what I already know pretty well, and am rarely stumped by a technical problem.

Competitions - my views there are well known, and I avoid them.

Critique is another matter. From observation, a lot of people post a photo and, if they are looking for feedback, want it on the technicalities. There's another forum where there have only been 3 posts in their critique section since 2013, and the one this year was not for what I'd call critique but was "how do I fix the blocked shadows in this photo?". So many seem only want a reply that indicates how to fix something in post processing.

As to the "not qualified to critique" position, here's a post I made on another forum in response to someone who said that they didn't think that they had a right to criticise  someone else's work; the reason being that they weren't an expert. This is my take on that one.

What follows is my opinion - take it or leave it, but please note that it is opinion, even though I'm going to be dogmatic. It makes it easier to write if I don't preface everything with disclaimers.

What most photographers don't seem to do is to see what's in front of them. In fact, most people don't see what's in front of them. They see what they expect to see, or what they are looking for. They see the person, and only the person; not the telegraph pole growing out of the head of that person. They see the view as they experience it - in 3D, with sounds, smells and movement, and not the view as it really is and seen by the camera. So just looking at a photograph can let you see things that the photographer should have seen, and you can point them out. You don't need to be an expert to do that - just averagely observant. Once you train yourself to look, it starts to become easier, and your own work improves. You see what you should have noticed at the time at the time, not later when it's too late. The other side of the coin should be that you see beyond the obvious, because you're not seeing what  what you expect, but what's there. And seeing beauty in a mundane scene - because you really looked at that scene - lets you show it to others.

The other point that many photographers don't seem to grasp is the mood or feeling invoked. My standard example uses the work of two different photographers I saw on sale in a gallery (no names, no pack drill). Both produced technically excellent photographs; both were equally well composed. But then the big difference kicked in. One (as a concrete example) showed a chocolate box cottage. It was beautiful, and I could see exactly what the photographer saw as clearly as if I'd been there. But no more than that. The other showed a bridge in the snow. All that I said about the first photographer applied; but this one went one step further. I could see what he saw, yes; but I could also feel the cold. It produced a reaction beyond the purely visual.

Getting a photographer to see and understand that the technical - even the compositional - elements are only a part is difficult. It's putting in the feeling that's the essential final step.

Anyone should be able to feel if a photograph is "right" or not, or whether it evokes a reaction. That's not at all the feeling of love it or loathe it, it's whether the photograph can produce an emotional reaction in you. If it doesn't, I think it's failed as art, but may work very well as a record. On the like/dislike front, you should be able to work out why you feel as you do. It's perfectly possible to admire an image that you don't like, and love one that you know is poor. Again, my standard example: I'll always love a photo of a happy and healthy cat, and hate one of a spider regardless of the merits; but it's still possible for me to recognise a good or bad image, whether I like it or not. Similarly, it should be possible to work out (in the case of a photo that fails to produce an emotion what the photographer could have done to introduce feeling. Whether you write up your deliberations or not, you should improve as a photographer just by doing this exercise.

Summary - you don't need to be an expert, you don't even need to be a photographer. You just need to observe and consider. And anyone can do that with practice.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 09:24:04 PM »
I'm still learning to 'see.' Used to be good at people with lamp posts growing out of their heads, but I've overcome that problem.
I do often find things in the image, that I did not see when I pressed the button. And my eyesight is not always to blame.

Offline StephenBatey

• Keep calm and carry on buying large format cameras
    • stephenbatey/
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 09:40:56 PM »
Ah, I'd say that finding things in the photograph that you didn't see in the viewfinder was exactly the same problem as the telegraph poles. Too much attention to the subject (assuming that an object in the frame is the subject) and not enough to the rest.  :)

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 10:15:53 PM »
If they are small things, I may not see them at all. I have to 'work around' huge blind spots. Literally.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 203/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 75/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 233/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636054/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 56/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 195/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 235/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM