STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollRFELCTIONS - Chat Thread...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice house

Author Topic: Unwanted calls!  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Graham

Unwanted calls!
« on: January 08, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
I'm at home most of the day and am getting an increasing amount of spammy calls.
My policy is if I pick up the 'phone and there's a delay in the caller speaking, background chatter or a click as the call is transferred somewhere I just hang up and don't wait to find out what it is.
I just took a call and out of curiosity held on 'till the caller spoke.

Caller..."Hello, is that Mr Whitemoor?" (Bad pronunciation of my name but let it go.)
Me......"It is."
Caller..(Bear in mind he had a heavy Indian sub continent accent.) "Hello, my name is Derek, Derek Jones."
Me....."I'm sorry, I don't believe you."  Hang up.

I decided to listen to one yesterday, it was one of those "You may be entitled to PPI compensation." type calls. It sugested I press "5" for more information.
Now obviously you never do this as they probably connect you to a high charging line or something, but this one also said "Press 9 if you want to be removed from our database"

So. Would you have pressed 9?...I didn't.

PS I'm registered with the TPS which purports to reduce or eliminate such calls but apparently they can't control calls generated overseas.

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Oldboy

Re: Unwanted calls!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:03:32 AM »
If you press 5 or 9 it just confirms that the number is live. There are loads of these calls which are generated by computers. These will call around twenty telephones at once but will only have one operator to answer them hence, silent calls. Do what I do and invest in an answer machine so, when the phone rings I let it default to the answer machine. If you are there at the time you can hear the call been recorded on the answer machine and, if it's someone you want to talk too then, just pick up the phone and you can speak to them before the recording finishes.  ;D

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 10:42:59 AM »
I seem to get an increased amount of nuisance calls as well these days. They normally don't bother me too much; I either say 'Sorry I'm not interested,' and put the phone down,  before they have finished introducing themselves.

If I'm in the mood for some 'sport,' I lead them along a bit, before I tell them, I couldn't care less.

I particularly like the ones that tell me, my home definitely qualifies for cavity wall insulation (their paperwork 'proves' it!) and solar panels. Oh yes, and a new boiler. All with Government grants.

Living where I live, with a blank Southwesterly wall, almost open to the Atlantic, and constantly assaulted by driving rain, I know this place is most definitely not suitable for cavity wall insulation.

And solar panels on a leasehold property with a flat roof (even though we - the owners - own the freehold), is not a straight forward thing either.

And last but not least, I do not have a boiler, so am not in need of a replacement one.

So after they have enthusiastically sung the praises of all these improvements, I slowly explain why these things would not work. I never get beyond educating them about cavity wall insulation, before these polite young people, rudely put the phone down.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Simple

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:26:13 PM »
Best thing ever CPR1200. Has build in memory and by pressing a button it blocks the number. It holds 1200 numbers. You need to have caller id enabled from your phone service provider.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=call+blocker+cpr&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=46851922020&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3125538733589132728&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6da2xu581a_b

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »
We use three techniques here at H Towers.
1. Don't answer the 'phone unless it rings with a recognised caller ID tone - ie if the call isn't from a number in the 'phone's contact list.
2. I answer it and explain that I am Mr H's butler and he is only taking personal calls today
3. When asked if you are the home owner explain that you are a) just burgling the place, b) you're a squatter or c) you are a telecoms investigator intercepting suspect nuisance calls.

My father in law opens with a question of his own: "Tell me your full name and office number with your extension please, I may want to call you back with any queries". Stops 'em dead . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline spinner

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 01:47:47 PM »
I'm at home most of the day and am getting an increasing amount of spammy calls.
My policy is if I pick up the 'phone and there's a delay in the caller speaking, background chatter or a click as the call is transferred somewhere I just hang up and don't wait to find out what it is.
I just took a call and out of curiosity held on 'till the caller spoke.

Caller..."Hello, is that Mr Whitemoor?" (Bad pronunciation of my name but let it go.)
Me......"It is."
Caller..(Bear in mind he had a heavy Indian sub continent accent.) "Hello, my name is Derek, Derek Jones."
Me....."I'm sorry, I don't believe you."  Hang up.

I decided to listen to one yesterday, it was one of those "You may be entitled to PPI compensation." type calls. It sugested I press "5" for more information.
Now obviously you never do this as they probably connect you to a high charging line or something, but this one also said "Press 9 if you want to be removed from our database"

So. Would you have pressed 9?...I didn't.

PS I'm registered with the TPS which purports to reduce or eliminate such calls but apparently they can't control calls generated overseas.

If you pick up the phone, or engage with them in anyway, you've made a grave error. You have confirmed there is a live person at your number and it will now be sold off to a bunch of list buyers.  >:(
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline Colin

• My Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 04:26:38 PM »
Its a shame in the UK you don't have Lista Robinson as we do in Spain. You register your number and should not then receive any of these calls. If you do the caller is subject to a €5000 fine per call they make. It has stopped these sort of calls stone dead for me and my friends.

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 05:31:33 PM »
Its a shame in the UK you don't have Lista Robinson as we do in Spain. You register your number and should not then receive any of these calls. If you do the caller is subject to a €5000 fine per call they make. It has stopped these sort of calls stone dead for me and my friends.

We have the same here: the Call Preference List, but it doesn't work for calls from abroad. And even British firms often do not care to check, but at least they apologise when you point it out. (Some do anyway.)

And Spinner, a lot of callers know my name, even though they never pronounce it correctly, so some work with real phone numbers.

This is one of the reasons, I often do not register 'things' on line, as I am convinced a lot of that info is sold on.

And no commercial firm gets my mobile number.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:33:05 PM by Reinardina »

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline loveclose

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 07:44:43 PM »
I've more or less cracked the nuisance call issue by purchasing a BT phone that has BT GUARDIAN built in.

Been worth every penny so far.

It works this way:

1)  First of all, make sure all the numbers you WANT to receive calls from are in the phone's memory.  Calls will be allowed from everyone in your phone book list.

2)  Any call that comes from an UNKNOWN NUMBER activates the Guardian!

3)  Unknown caller dials your number - it rings ONCE - Guardian then announces to the unsolicited caller that the line is protected by BT Guardian - (at this point, most cold callers hang up) - they are then asked to announce who they are and if relevant, who they work for - BT Guardian then reconnects the call to our house - Guardian announces who's on the other end - press 1 to accept and another number to reject!!

No cost - no software - it's all built in to the phone.

And it works!!!

Happy to recommend!!
The meek shall inherit the earth - if that's ok with everyone else.....

Offline spinner

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 08:18:41 PM »
I'm a little annoyed that I can only buy the CallBlocker from Amazon, but I've gone ahead and ordered it. We'll see in a few days how it works.
Ol' blue eyes

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 11:54:03 AM »
The number one call here is someone offering air duct cleaning services.   It is annoying.  I have debated saying sure, then when they show up telling them to go to hell.  Waste their time to teach a small lesson. 

The other of course is the "Windows technicians".  Sometimes I will play with those guys.  I confuse them and say my computer runs Linux.  Or shut them down by saying I have a Mac.  Once I said "You are liar and a criminal" and he said "Yes sir, I am".  That confused me! :)

Offline spikeyjen

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 08:51:17 PM »
Our biggest problem is solar panel sellers. But we have a system here called the 'do not call register'. You register on line with all the numbers you want protected, and the calls stop within 2 weeks. Its actually illegal to call a number protected by 'do not call'. You just have to remember to update it every year.

Offline StephenBatey

• Keep calm and carry on buying large format cameras
    • stephenbatey/
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 10:45:45 PM »
I seem to get a lot of problems with my "Windows computer" as I get a lot of calls from the "Windows Technical Department". I did once have a little time on hand, so when he started with the obligatory "how are you today" I told him in detail, enquired how he was, thanked him for calling me for a chat.... He hung up.

Usually, I just hang up.

Offline spinner

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 11:00:06 PM »
Our biggest problem is solar panel sellers. But we have a system here called the 'do not call register'. You register on line with all the numbers you want protected, and the calls stop within 2 weeks. Its actually illegal to call a number protected by 'do not call'. You just have to remember to update it every year.

As do we, here in the U.S. where I spend my winters and at home in Canada. The problem is, the telemarketers either ignore it, or are making the calls from outside the country where they can't be touched. I'm on the don't call list in both countries and it hasn't helped.  >:(
Ol' blue eyes

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 03:30:36 PM »
We had a classic one today:

"Hello this is your computer maintenance company, can you just let me have your username and password . . . ?"

"Ah yes, my username is 'moron' and my password is 'bornyesterday' "
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 101/2 Oldboy Last post August 09, 2020, 05:58:50 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 189/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx RFELCTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 38/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 9/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 61/1 jinky Last post August 09, 2020, 07:40:00 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 233/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 254/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636699/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM