Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: What's Your Take?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
What's Your Take?
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:14:19 AM »
Found this today.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-29352334

A photographer perhaps making a statement in order to gain publicity or a photographer bemoaning the fact that everyone is now a photographer (of sorts)?

Love the statement 'vapid Instagram style of photo sharing'. It takes me back to the days when you were subjected to being shown someone's holiday snaps after they were collected from the chemists and treated to an hour of complete boredom of shots showing places and things that could have been taken straight from a holiday brochure. Nice mementos of a holiday for the person involved, but why they should think I would be interested escapes me completely.

The pictures of Mr Malcovich within various iconic images of the past are stunning, and as the photographer says are the result of careful thought and planning, something he finds lacking in the Instagram genre of photography.

P.S. Our family has just returned from Mexico and I'm girding my loins for a weekend of peering at small phone screen images of holiday snaps. ::)

Offline jinky

Re: What's Your Take?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 10:27:50 AM »
I guess he is saying be more original and thoughtful in putting out images .. and then does remakes of old classics copying light and poses  :o.

Personally I don`t see a problem with everyone being a photographer. OK social media is packed with images and everyone has photo pics that they want to show - you can pretend to be interested or look straight through and past them but those photos mean something to the ones with them - even  if just a record of where they have been. They do no harm. In art you have serious paintings / works of art  and you have amateurs and kids expressing themselves. Why can`t photography offer the same opportunities to anyone choosing to use it?

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 09:05:48 AM »
Being a photographer is like being a footballer or a golfer. Dead keen at all levels of ability and either competitive or in it for the enjoyment.

I'm in the Sunday morning kick about on the park level or the hacker that unfortunately holds every one up on the course, but I enjoy myself. ;)

Offline spinner

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 09:32:09 PM »
Found this today.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-29352334

P.S. Our family has just returned from Mexico and I'm girding my loins for a weekend of peering at small phone screen images of holiday snaps. ::)

Get them an iPad for Christmas, the new ones will be out soon! :legit:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 136/1 Oldboy Last post August 08, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 230/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 249/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636545/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 207/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 242/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM