• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 25
  • Total: 25
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Does It Really Matter?

Started by ABERS, September 07, 2014, 09:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

Looking at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-29051001

Should I be interested that a picture of a reflection in a swimming pool was taken in Sardinia or a row of deck chairs were on a beach in Florida?

We had a bloke at the club last week showing us images of close up views of frosted seaweed taken on a beach in the Outer Hebrides and abstractions of rust and decay that were taken on an old Cortina abandoned in Anglesey.

Nice images but who cares where they were taken!

I've got a picture of an old mangled up bike that was taken along the back road just before you get to the crossroads by the corner shop that sells secondhand clothes in Upper Dicker in Sussex. :legit:

Reinardina

If it explains something, like the unusual curtains in the shot from Morocco, I'd like to know where it was taken.
The same where geographical features are involved; I might like to go there and see for myself.

But just a reflection, or something that could have been shot anywhere, no, it doesn't matter. Personal opinion of course!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

donoreo

On many photos I like to know where.   I do not need to know for all photos. 

ABERS

As Reinardina says if it's an unusual building or some interesting location maybe it would be nice to know, but it does allow the photographer to show how well travelled  he/she she is.

Matthew

Agreed, if it's a site of particular interest be it a park, monument or building then yes, location details are a good thing. I guess it comes down to the context of the shot, I am a big fan of titles as it is an extension of the creative process. So in simple terms, if it's a shot of a building, historical location or site of interest then location detail. If it's a shot of a reflection in a lake, close-up of any kind and/or abstract, then a well thought out title should be used. Just my personal take on it all.
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on September 07, 2014, 09:36:58 AM
Should I be interested that a picture of a reflection in a swimming pool was taken in Sardinia or a row of deck chairs were on a beach in Florida?

No, but others may want to know.  8)

DigiDiva

Upper Dicker Abers.......no way is that a place name...is it?!
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

ABERS

Quote from: DigiDiva on September 16, 2014, 12:08:33 AM
Upper Dicker Abers.......no way is that a place name...is it?!

Certainly is. And there is a Lower Dicker as well. Could form the basis for a before and after joke I suppose.

DigiDiva

I once had a client who lived in Bell End - up here in the North East (not sure if it's the same anywhere else) thats rather rude! When they called to change their address I nearly DIED laughing!

donoreo

There is a real town named Dildo.  It is in Newfoundland.  Those Newfies are funny :) 

DigiDiva

Maybe we need a new thread of images of funny place names

Oldboy

There's a place in the Black country called 'Bumble Hole'. It sounds worse than been read.  :-[

Matthew

I pass a signpost for "Gash" every time I travel from Fraserburgh to Peterhead, I always let out a childish snort when I see it...... :D
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

DigiDiva

We really are childish (but it's fun) and have totally ambushed poor Abers serious thread. Sorry Abers

StephenBatey

Yes - if you regard photography as no more than a means of accurate recording. Specifying the exact location means that the image can be verified.

Yes - if you want to recreate the photograph. Many photographers like to know exactly what setting were used, so why not know where to place the tripod? As an aside - why not the same (or more) interest in knowing the exact lighting level, and lighting direction (if not obvious), time of day and ISO settings? You need all this to be able to either recreate the shot or understand why the settings were chosen.

No - if you're interested solely in the photograph as an image.

Place names - my job entailed a detailed geographical knowledge of place names, both UK and overseas. "Egypt" is a place in the UK and not just some foreign country. Just as California is in Norfolk, not the US. As to odd names - yes I know quite a few. Not just towns and villages, but there are some interesting street names (e.g. Two Ball Lonnen").
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.