Poll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitOutdoors - ENTRY thread -...POLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - PortraitsPortraits - CHAT - Weekly...Portraits - ENTRIES-Weekl...POLL-BIRDSWhat annoyed you today?

Author Topic: I would like a longer lens  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Jediboy

Re: I would like a longer lens
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 09:58:03 PM »
I have a 70-200mm lens and  X2 Nikon converter. I don't like the results it gives and I'd rather use the lens without the converter and crop in PS. I'm going to sell the converter because I just don't like it. My personal view only, and I have no idea about Canon kit.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 01:19:12 PM »
Well, opportunity knocked yesterday.  I am now the owner of a Canon 70-200 f/4L USM.  It is used but in perfect condition.  Not even the lens hood has a mark on it.  The plastic wrap in the box was there.  Manual and CD never opened.  The carry pouch had not been unfolded.  It is a recent one, it came with the pinch design lens cap and Canon has not done them that long.  I purchased from a dealer (Henry's Camera - largish chain here) and the staff was wondering why it was only marked as an 8+ (out of 10). 

The lens, used, was listed at $599 CDN.  Since Canon dropped a lot of their L lens prices they had it "on sale" at $499.  I never thought I would see a L series lens so low. 

This thing is smooth.  The build is excellent.  I may miss not having IS sometimes (like the girls school events), but mostly this will be an outdoor lens. 

I will investigate teleconverters and see.  The only accessory it does not come with is a tripod collar. 

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 04:35:28 PM »
Sounds like a good result Don.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 06:12:33 PM »
Great result Don. If it's like the 70-200mm F2.8 it should balance nicely in the hand so, should be a problem to hold steady whilst taking the shot.  :tup:

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 11:32:07 AM »
Great result Don. If it's like the 70-200mm F2.8 it should balance nicely in the hand so, should be a problem to hold steady whilst taking the shot.  :tup:
Yesterday I had a problem trying it out.  I think that was caffeine though :)  I could see my movement easily. 

Online Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
Yesterday I had a problem trying it out.  I think that was caffeine though :)  I could see my movement easily.

I often have more difficulty (Parkinson's shake and wobble times) if the kit lays unbalanced in the mits  :( Upping the ISO lets the shutter run faster than wind  ;) and I can usually eventually grab the shot I want.  :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Graham

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 03:24:50 PM »

A monopod is the answer, much more stable, much more comfortable.  :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Graham

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 03:27:08 PM »

A monopod is the answer, much more stable, much more comfortable.  :)

Plus you look really "Ninja"!

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 03:53:21 PM »

I often have more difficulty (Parkinson's shake and wobble times) if the kit lays unbalanced in the mits  :( Upping the ISO lets the shutter run faster than wind  ;) and I can usually eventually grab the shot I want.  :legit:
ISO400 and above is not really usable on my camera.  Guess I need a new camera ;) 

Offline hssutton

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 04:24:52 PM »

[/quote]ISO400 and above is not really usable on my camera.  Guess I need a new camera ;)
[/quote]

Need a new camera then take a look at this a Canon 7D refurb. from Canon USA $719.52. http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-7d-body-refurbished

I guess the 7D MK11 must be imminent.

Harry

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »

Plus you look really "Ninja"!

Your hair dye needs redoing!  :P :-* :legit:

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 01:44:16 PM »

ISO400 and above is not really usable on my camera.  Guess I need a new camera ;)
[/quote]

Need a new camera then take a look at this a Canon 7D refurb. from Canon USA $719.52. http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-7d-body-refurbished

I guess the 7D MK11 must be imminent.

Harry
[/quote]Rumour is the announcement will be at Photokina. 

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 115/2 anglefire Last post Today at 08:31:53 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 196/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 128/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM
xx DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 131/3 Oldboy Last post September 21, 2020, 11:51:45 PM
xx POLL - Fruit International Weekly Comp Entries 210/4 jinky Last post September 21, 2020, 08:58:04 AM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 47/0 Jediboy Last post September 20, 2020, 12:03:53 PM
xx POLL - Vehicles International Weekly Comp Entries 343/6 Jediboy Last post September 15, 2020, 09:01:03 AM
xx ENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-13/9/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 200/3 Oldboy Last post September 14, 2020, 09:47:33 PM