POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Fairy Island  (Read 821 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Fairy Island
« on: August 14, 2014, 08:05:55 AM »
I've called the subject Fairy Island after  looking at Sandy's image on the Gallery with same title.

She asks "does it work?"  For me it does. All the elements blend together, the landscape, the 'magic' mushroom, the castle, all have an aura of a Tolkienesque land inhabited by little folk.

One of the joys of photography is the ability to be able to make an image that bears no resemblance to reality, but requires a different skill set and a creative flair other than the norm of just recording what is there. All made easier by digital manipulation. After all Julia Margaret Cameron's fairies were created long before the word Digital was even a photographic term or film was invented.

It may not be to everyone's taste. Like most things that are poo-pooed it is usually because the poo-pooers can't understand it or are unable to practise it, but it is a photographic process, using an amalgam of photographic images and it is now recognised as part of the photographic world. Competitions and exhibitions have a section entitled 'Altered Images', that attracts work from  highly skilled and exceptionally creative photographers.

Have a look at

http://www.rikoart.com/

What's your view?

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: Fairy Island
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:48:09 AM »
Oh boy! This makes my fingers itch, and my mind/imagination is in overdrive. I'd love to have a go again, at what I always call 'creative editing.'
Sadly I have too much going on at the moment, and simply do not have the time.

Sandy, you asked if it works. I agree with Alan, it does work.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 10:15:09 AM »
I like the general idea, mix of elements utilised to try and get a Disney like feel.

Does it work for me composition wise? And the answer is No.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:36:46 AM by Beaux Reflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline ABERS

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:03:43 PM »
I like the general idea, mix of elements utilised to try and get a Disney like feel.

Sometimes a bit of Disney is a light relief from picture post cards. ;)

What doesn't work composition wise Andy?

Offline jinky

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 04:17:07 PM »
It doesn`t quite work for me either I feel. The mushroom just does not sit right - a little high to me. Also the castle is so much brighter and sharper than the rest of the image which is more dream like elsewhere. Good effort though and I love to see creative flair come to the fore too. Hope Sandy doesn`t mind us commenting here and you posting it up Abers.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 05:23:36 PM »

While the clarity of the castle draws the observer's eye directly to it, there is little detail above it to carry the eyes back down and around the composition. (Perhaps the Rule of Thirds, but with more sky overhead, I feel the 'subject' of the composition would then dwell more comfortably within the scene)

Also, the flatness of the mist, shadow and reflection aspect (or lack of ?) around the foot of the mushroom seems to dull the sense in Perspective of that area. Which makes me ask; Is the mushroom rooted in the mist or rising from the water below?

I guess for me, the overall imagery strikes a chord in between Collage and Fantasy Landscape. And like Jinky hope that Sandy does not mind me answering your questions.

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline ABERS

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 06:15:47 PM »

While the clarity of the castle draws the observer's eye directly to it, there is little detail above it to carry the eyes back down and around the composition. (Perhaps the Rule of Thirds, but with more sky overhead, I feel the 'subject' of the composition would then dwell more comfortably within the scene)

Also, the flatness of the mist, shadow and reflection aspect (or lack of ?) around the foot of the mushroom seems to dull the sense in Perspective of that area. Which makes me ask; Is the mushroom rooted in the mist or rising from the water below?

I guess for me, the overall imagery strikes a chord in between Collage and Fantasy Landscape. And like Jinky hope that Sandy does not mind me answering your questions.

I hope Sandy is OK with this as well, but since has asked the question, "Does it work?" I felt it deserved more than just a yes or no, and would provoke a discussion on this genre .

I apologise Sandy if I jumped the gun.

Offline Sandy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 07:05:58 PM »
No need to apologise, I'm grateful for any comments. I'm really just starting out in this type of photography so just dipping my toes in the water. I had a good day in London and saw some great images at the Charlie Waite exhibition which is why I did not reply earlier but thanks for starting the ball rolling Abers.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 122/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 174/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 220/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 61/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 20/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 271/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM