STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollRFELCTIONS - Chat Thread...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice house

Author Topic: Chat Thread - THE NATURAL WORLD - 26 July to 3 August 2014  (Read 2507 times)

Offline DigiDiva

CHAT THREAD

This week's theme is THE NATURAL WORLD.

I would like an image that portrays anything to do with the natural world. Plant life, animal life, fish, birds, beasts, natural formations, natural wonders etc.

No restrictions on Post Processing.

Pictures to be taken between posting time on Saturday 26 July 2014 to 23:59 Sunday 3 August 2014.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 4 August 2014.
Poll will be up Tuesday 5 August 2014.
Winner to be announced Saturday 9 August 2014.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc.)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie date from which the new topic is set xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night.

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline DigiDiva

Re: Chat Thread - THE NATURAL WORLD - 26 July to 3 August 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »
As I go out with camera into the countryside taking animals, birds, plants etc, my Mum tells her friends that I am a naturist......thought this theme would suit!

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 05:23:10 PM »
Naturist! That's kind of her.  ;D
Good, broad theme. But still haven't got my water shot yet so I better get a wiggle on.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »
This weeks comp chat thread has been very quiet. Hope theres a few more entries. I am doing mine today

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »
Just looking through this week's blitz on the sunflowers to find something suitable.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 08:21:56 PM »
I wasn't going to enter, as I had not taken any photographs. Then I remembered some test shots I did while at my weekly job as volunteer ranger.

So here is my 'Swimming Lesson.'    :2funny:

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 11:06:15 PM »
Not sure if I will get an entry this week as I have not got one yet and I am off to Heathrow at 04:30 tomorrow morning as my son has an early flight back to OZ. I will see if I can find a subject later in the day but I am not holding my breath.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 07:27:56 AM »
Not sure if I will get an entry this week as I have not got one yet and I am off to Heathrow at 04:30 tomorrow morning as my son has an early flight back to OZ. I will see if I can find a subject later in the day but I am not holding my breath.

People are never considered in cases like this, but we're all part of nature. I would not call Heathrow a 'natural' environment but, for us townies, built up areas have become our natural world. Yet we are discounted.

Is it because with 'natural' we think of something that grows of its own accord, without human interference?

However, over the centuries, we have meddled much with plant, as well as animal life, yet the results are still counted as natural.

Even the 'uncontacted' Amazonian tribe members, recently emerged from the jungle, would not be considered a suitable subject. Have we become over sensitive about other human beings? Their dignity and privacy? We have no such scruples about, often very intelligent, mammals.

So, when did the human mammal lose its connection to the natural world? Is it the fact we can change the 'natural' world, that excludes us?

Don't know why this suddenly 'hit' me on a Sunday morning; I'm sure not even an elephant would think about it, so could that be the explanation?  We think, and are therefore not 'natural'?

I get totally lost.

Any opinions, ideas?  (I know I have mad moments, so I don't need to hear that explanation!)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:31:31 AM by Reinardina »

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 07:46:12 AM »
Reinardina,plenty of homosapiens here, 07:30, could be classified as lemmings, do they count?

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 11:40:03 AM »
Yesterday's macro attempts at an indoor orchid weren't very exciting so headed off in the wind (not the best for macro) but managed to find this little guy.

Araneae

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 12:15:03 PM »
Reinardina,plenty of homosapiens here, 07:30, could be classified as lemmings, do they count?
They should be classified as homosapiens, and I think they should count. But they won't.

Yesterday's macro attempts at an indoor orchid weren't very exciting so headed off in the wind (not the best for macro) but managed to find this little guy.
Nice one Chris.

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 12:33:16 PM »
Thanks reinardina - worked out well for me

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 12:36:21 PM »
Not sure what this is but i think that  the general terminology is Anthophila so thats the title, Beryl if it is incorrect can you help me out on this one.

Anthophila

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 03:42:16 PM »
Are you naming the creature or the plant?

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
Are you naming the creature or the plant?
Does it matter Chris? it is only a picture title, i could of called it flying thing and pinky purple flower, it is, i hope the flying thing, i did ask Beryl if she is around to give it the correct name

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 101/2 Oldboy Last post August 09, 2020, 05:58:50 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 189/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx RFELCTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 38/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 9/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 61/1 jinky Last post August 09, 2020, 07:40:00 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 233/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 254/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636699/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM