POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Aircraft Enthusiasts  (Read 1685 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Aircraft Enthusiasts
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:37:43 AM »
There will be a couple of Lancasters buzzing around the UK skies this Summer for you to snap away at.

Here's the programme and venues where they will be appearing

http://www.warplane.com/lancaster-2014-uk-tour.aspx

Tally Ho! :tup:

Offline DigiDiva

Re: Aircraft Enthusiasts
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
It's SUnderland's air show this weekend and Im sure they will be popping by.Its not my thing, have only been once but I know it's always very popular, specifically the Lancasters and Red Arrows.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:50:59 AM »
There will be a couple of Lancasters buzzing around the UK skies this Summer for you to snap away at.

Here's the programme and venues where they will be appearing

http://www.warplane.com/lancaster-2014-uk-tour.aspx

Tally Ho! :tup:

Thanks Alan.
Lancasters and I don't really mix. First time I was going to have a go, the flypast was cancelled because of atrocious weather.
Last year they were here and I messed it up. (My photos that is, not the bombers.) Didn't get a single good shot.
And, by the look of it, they're not coming near me this year. I'll have to wait a little longer.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Excellent. Sywell is just down the road from me, and we see numerous planes coming in. Look forward to this one.
Cheers.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline Graham

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 12:29:53 PM »
  Here she is from a couple of years ago over the Peak District.

:)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 12:40:49 PM »
Ah Sywell. Many moons ago, along with a colleague, I was making some calls at Sywell one morning when we both ducked as two monoplanes at zero, zero feet came hurtling just over the roof of one of the hangers.

M.E.109's we both said together, and the fact that they had German markings seemed to confirm the fact.

It transpired that they were filming shots for The Battle of Britain at the airfield that day, and had set up a scaffolding tower in the centre of the airfield to shoot the planes diving and supposedly strafing the place. Very exciting, we didn't get many calls done that day!

The M.E.109's were borrowed from the Spanish air force who still flew them at that time.

Now I would suspect that I am alone on the Forum as someone who has actually worked on Lancasters in the service of the Queen. During my national service,training as an air radar mechanic, there were three Lancaster fuselages at RAF Cherill in Wiltshire for us to
Practise on.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:57:00 PM by ABERS »

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »
Don't break our Lancaster while it is over there :)  I have seen it fly, it is great.  Loud too.  Very loud. 

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »
Don't break our Lancaster while it is over there :)  I have seen it fly, it is great.  Loud too.  Very loud.

I love the 'solid' sound of old aircraft!

I have known lots of people, who lived through the war and occupation in Holland, and rejoiced when they heard allied planes coming over, flying east.
Decades later the sound still brought smiles and 'happy' memories.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline hssutton

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »

Don't worry Don, we have an excellent garage down the road at Conningsby and also a few spare parts at East Kirkby and I'm sure they would be only too pleased to help out if necessary, Especially as Canada http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/A-Spinner-from-the-Rockies.htm 'donated' a new spinner for "Just Jane", the resident non flying Lanc. 

Harry

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 01:27:15 PM »
That's a great photo Harry.  :tup:
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 02:57:21 PM »

Don't worry Don, we have an excellent garage down the road at Conningsby and also a few spare parts at East Kirkby and I'm sure they would be only too pleased to help out if necessary, Especially as Canada http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/A-Spinner-from-the-Rockies.htm 'donated' a new spinner for "Just Jane", the resident non flying Lanc. 

Harry
I know they go anywhere Lancasters flew and crashed to find parts.   I was surprised to hear ours was flying over.   It apparently leaks oil like crazy after a flight, unless they have been able to stop that. 

Offline hssutton

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 04:36:46 PM »
That's a great photo Harry.  :tup:

Thanks Chris. This one is called "Just Jane" and is an aircraft that you can go for a 'taxi' ride, but is quite expensive and the taxi ride is just a few hundred yards, but you can dress up for a photo shoot.
Hopefully it will be flying soon (within the next couple of years).
As I was typing this the Battle of Britain Flight passed overhead prompting me to rush out with the camera. Unfortunately in my haste I forgot to use a slow shutter speed, hence static props.

Harry

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 123/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 174/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 221/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 61/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 22/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 271/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM