POLL - Song Title SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22...SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-2...HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...

Author Topic: Noise Reduction!  (Read 2045 times)

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
Noise Reduction!
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:11:13 PM »
I'm not sure how many members on here have the 1DMkIII - but if you want the ultimate in noise reduction, then I suggest you have a look at http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=680947&page=6 this thread - this is the page with the latest action - you also need Neat Image Pro - but start from page 1.

The images below are with the old version - the version on the page linked above.

Mick, applogies, the one is a bit wide - hope you don't mind - but if you do, just delete it!

Full size image first.

ISO6400, 1/200, f4 @ 70mm

This is part of the original I processed in ACR, compared to pretty much the same part of the image produced by the action.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
Re: Noise Reduction!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:50:32 AM »
Mark, it looks like it works very well, and it's nice to see such a dramatic example.

I'm afraid I don't have the Canon, or CS Photoshop, or Neat Image Pro . . . so I'll just have to stick with the string and paper bag system I currently I have I guess  :'(

I'm also surprised that no one has chipped in with 'of course, if you had a Nikon DX3 you wouldn't need noise reduction . . '

Where is OldBoy when you need him?  :legit:

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline anglefire

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:03:49 PM »
Tringle,

I don't know if the D3X os better or worse than the D3 - but I have seen comparison shots of MkIII with this NR, D3 and Sony Full frame thingy - and the MkIII blows them out of the water - on all levels. However, I don't know if the D3 could be improved with optimized in camera settings or post noise reduction.

And its obviously an extra step.

And whilst the example I show is noticable - full size on the PC screen and probably printed out A4, the noise is hardly noticeable anyway. But large prints and cropping, it will be a useful tool!
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:29:07 PM »
Mark,

I don't know either - these kind of toys are way out of my league.  :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Online Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:26:57 PM »
Mark,

Me too.  I use a freebie noise reduction software Noiseware Community Edition.  From here, http://www.imagenomic.com/
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:58:24 PM »
I use Noise Ninja or Image Skill Magic Denoiser. There is also a cracking free noise reduction prog here: http://www.mediachance.com/pureimage/index.html

The demo version adds a small logo, but if you are planning to crop or put a border around the image before you process it, no problem. Not a plugin, will give you a nice tiff to work on later.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline bones615

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:45:45 PM »
Mark,

Me too.  I use a freebie noise reduction software Noiseware Community Edition.  From here, http://www.imagenomic.com/

Just downloaded and had a play with noiseware, its pretty impressive.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:04:16 AM »
Tringle,

I don't know if the D3X os better or worse than the D3 - but I have seen comparison shots of MkIII with this NR, D3 and Sony Full frame thingy - and the MkIII blows them out of the water - on all levels. However, I don't know if the D3 could be improved with optimized in camera settings or post noise reduction.

And its obviously an extra step.

And whilst the example I show is noticable - full size on the PC screen and probably printed out A4, the noise is hardly noticeable anyway. But large prints and cropping, it will be a useful tool!

Yes, the D3 has an option to reduce noise at the time of taking a picture. I'm glad you are happy with the image of the MkIII at ISO 6400, but not sure if it knocks the D3 in quality for low light shots. I very seldom use noise reduction or sharping and am very happy with the way the D3 produces noise free images.  :tup:

Offline anglefire

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:41:48 PM »
Oldboy, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the D3 or anything else.  But Nikon has been self proclaimed king for a year or so and its nice to be able to get at least close  :o

I normally only use the noise reduction sliders in ACR occasionally if needed with any shots at 3200 or below - as for sharpening I typically do use high pass sharpening with a radius of ~2.5. Interestingly in one of this months mags, it suggestes 10 as a radius - which I find far too much!
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline anglefire

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 10:24:26 PM »
Oldboy, I've just been back on the site I found the comparision - and someone commented their that it was an unfair comparison - and he has therefore done a similar excerise on the D3 - ie created a profile.

In essence, as near as makes no difference, the results of the 2 cameras are the same.

If you or anyone else is interested, the relavent page is http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=680947&page=7
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 262/5 Jediboy Last post September 16, 2019, 10:49:12 AM
xx SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 34/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 10:00:15 AM
xx SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 53/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 09:59:37 AM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 117/4 anglefire Last post September 16, 2019, 07:17:49 AM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 855/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 326/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2827/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM