Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: I bought studio equipment & lived to tell the tale  (Read 1551 times)

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
I bought studio equipment & lived to tell the tale
« on: May 30, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »
Well, to be more specific, I told me wife.  I showed her actually.  I set up my one softbox on my recently purchased 300W strobe.  I did this over time.  The light stand set I purchased on clearance two years ago.  The Bowens softbox I purchased last year on clearance and as a bonus had their QuickRing speed ring with it.  That still did not help me take no less than 45 minutes and several YouTube videos to put it together.  Once I got the technique I see why they call it a QuickRing.  The strobe I purchased recently on sale for only $126. I have also recently purchased two other lower powered strobes for only $46 each!  I did not bring those out. Or the umbrellas that I purchased last year on clearance. 

I said I could take much better pictures of the girls with this.  I took a few test shots of her.  It seemed to work.  I have been good lately, doing extra things around the house  ;)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
Re: I bought studio equipment & lived to tell the tale
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
Congratulations - excellent man work on display there.

Timing is the key, after a long gradual management of expectations :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 04:08:22 PM »
The thing is now that I have a complete 3 light set, I want to set it all up and try it out!  I cannot explain the other 2 lights, yet. 

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 05:01:29 PM »
The thing is now that I have a complete 3 light set, I want to set it all up and try it out!  I cannot explain the other 2 lights, yet.

I think your guilty conscience is making you too careful. Does your wife know the difference between the elements you bought? Would she notice there were three lights, with two unexplained? Or will it all be much pf a muchness?

Just set up the whole thing and take some stunning shots. If she doesn't ask, don't tell. If she does, be honest and face the consequences.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Paul Montgomery

• My photography website
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »
I cannot explain the other 2 lights, yet.
Spares ?  ;)

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 08:33:22 PM »
She would notice.  She never noticed when I upgraded flashes from a use Canon 380 to a new Yonguino 568 EXII :)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 07:39:17 AM »
The only ploy left then is the "Oh, those? I've had them for years, just never thought to try them yet". Might just work, if you get the timing right :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 07:47:46 AM »
Och, put a firm hand down with your foot;

'Honey, I just could not help myself, they cost money you know, but by the heck, they'll steal one hell of a shot!'

And all because the lady loves....

:2funny: :legit:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 08:11:52 AM »
Another option of course is some pillow talk;

"Darling....You know you are always saying  there are not enough daylight hours in a day; well.......now there can be"

:idea: :idea:

:legit:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:43:26 AM by Beaux Reflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
Some good suggestions there.  I have another too.  She is in advertising and marketing.  She has reviewed many professional photos for use in advertising.  At some point I could be taking photos and not get the light right.  I would need more lights for this as normally "a photographer would use 3 lights..."

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 196/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 229/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635990/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 55/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 192/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 234/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM