POLL - Out on the StreetOut on the Street - Weekl...Out on the Street - Weekl...WATER - Weekly Comp - CHA...WATER - Weekly Comp - Ent...Deal Alert Thread.CENTRAL COMPOSITION - POL...CENTRAL COMPOSITION - CHA...CENTRAL COMPOSITION - ENT...Competitive PollPOLL - LOCALCOMPETITIVE - ENTRIES 27t...Local - Weekly Comp - Cha...COMPETITIVE - CHAT THREAD...Local - Weekly Comp - Ent...What annoyed you today?

Author Topic: thgoughts on dumping my 7D  (Read 1750 times)

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
thgoughts on dumping my 7D
« on: May 25, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »
Looking at the pros & cons of selling up my Canon 7D kit, the lot, lenses, body etc: and purchasing a  bridge camera like this.
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_SX50HS/index.aspx
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reason for doing this is that i am fed up lugging gear around and i think that nowadays with the technology that is around a bridge camera offers good results.
Thoughts please :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Jeff

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
Re: thgoughts on dumping my 7D
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »
I am thinking and almost set upon purchasing the Fujifilm hs50, simply because it has manual focus - and has had a few good reviews. While many seem to be going for the kit lens set up, the super zoom really appeals to me for taking shots of wildlife (and with an active Chasse in our area a 200mm lens is not powerful enough).
:beer: Andy

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
Jeff, how creative do you want to be? Would the new camera allow the creativity you desire?
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline Karen

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 05:40:15 PM »
Well I think if you read my threads on purchasing the new Fuji x-e2 you'll see I had the same dilemma. I am not sorry as the fuji gives me all the creative power I had with Canon and quality with less lugging around.

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
  • Starting from the beginning again...
    • ndrewbrown
    • Andrew Brown's Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »
or you could just sell it all and go  for the Fuji X route.

My X-Pro1 with prime lens sits in my pocket or Mrs B's hand bag when we go out. Now I've got a second lens off Graham, I suppose I'll have to start using a second pocket.
It is a real nuisance having to carry all that stuff around for a picture.

The XE2 is going at a nice price and several of the lenses can be bought at a nice price used. The same could also be said of some of the bodies.

I suppose the question is - what actually do you want to do with your camera.

I don't know if the 'free lens' offer is still going if you buy a new body - but I know it has been dicussed on here, and I can vouch for the fact that many pros are moving over to the Fuji X system due to lower prices and the huge saving in size and weight.

Don't take my word for it - look at the thread on the new Fuji by Karen (i think) and Graham's input.
If you look at the size of the bag Damien Lovegrove takes with him on an overseas shoot, it is embarrassing. I've seen bigger bags used to carry a 1DX with 28-200 f2.8 IS L only!
His contents include 2 x Fuji Xt-1's with BG, 3 prime lenses, filters, radio triggers and a flash or two.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 05:45:21 PM by Andrew »
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »
Thanxs for all the input. I will read the links and see what i can take away from them.

As for being creative Chris i do not do much in the camera and PP is the way i go about things, but that is just me.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.

Offline Karen

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 06:17:51 PM »
Remember Ive got a nice Samsung kit there for sale if you can get used to not having a viewfinder lol :)

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 06:20:45 PM »
Karen, i have to get my head around what i want at the moment as i have only looked at this over this weekend. i do not want to jump and regret.
Going to look at some kit before i sell mine so it may take a few months to get my head around it all.

Offline Karen

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 06:25:06 PM »
No probs only jesting lol. I know how long it took me to make the decision to change from my Canon 5DMK3.

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 06:36:53 PM »
On of our better photographers in our camera club carries a Canon G11 with him.  Most of his photos are taken with it.  He even does some great HDR using it (it shoots raw).

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 07:43:08 PM »
Depends what you want out of your photography. If you want to control depth of field, then a small sensor is going to be more difficult to do.

If you want to take sports photography, then a bridge may not have the focusing speed to do it.

But if you want to take landscapes, or portraits then it will be fine.

Personally, I wouldn't be without my DSLR's as I prefer the look of the final image - especially full frame and wide open.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline craftysnapper

• Paul Silk Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 07:02:58 AM »
Have you thought about micro four thirds small and lightweight yet still inter changable lenses and the image quality of crop dslr?
Regards Paul.
One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Out on the Street International Weekly Comp Entries 88/2 Jediboy Last post Today at 10:52:16 AM
xx Out on the Street - Weekly Comp Chat thread International Weekly Comp Entries 280/6 jinky Last post February 18, 2020, 05:51:06 AM
xx Out on the Street - Weekly Comp Entry thread International Weekly Comp Entries 226/5 Oldboy Last post February 17, 2020, 09:59:34 PM
xx WATER - Weekly Comp - CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 67/1 Oldboy Last post February 16, 2020, 08:35:23 PM
xx WATER - Weekly Comp - Entry Thread International Weekly Comp Entries 57/0 Jediboy Last post February 16, 2020, 06:17:23 PM
xx Deal Alert Thread. Shops directory 22509/39 Mick Last post February 15, 2020, 12:47:58 PM
xx CENTRAL COMPOSITION - POLL International Weekly Comp Entries 175/2 Jediboy Last post February 14, 2020, 12:21:18 PM
xx CENTRAL COMPOSITION - CHAT Thread 3rd - 9th Feb 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 248/3 oggalily Last post February 12, 2020, 03:22:54 AM