POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: I'm soon to become a DSLR user  (Read 2055 times)

Offline eysha

• CC Regular visitor
    • TheKavanaghCollection
I'm soon to become a DSLR user
« on: May 02, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »
I will become a DSLR user as of tomorrow. I will have a pre-loved Nikon D40 but no idea how to use it so help and advice will be needed. I was a member ages ago but only had a bridge camera then. Waited for a DSLR for years now so tomorrow cannot come soon enough. I was chatting to Digi Diva last night and she invited me to return so you can blame her, lol. I have tons to learn as I was always pretty useless at remembering things and that hasn't changed. I have almost finished my degree with only the exam left to do so will be spending lots of time with my new toy and getting back to my artwork. It's been so long since I was last here no one will remember me except Digi so I hope to get to know you all again soon. E. :)

Please visit my site at
www.ThekavanaghCollection.co.uk

Offline jinky

Re: I'm soon to become a DSLR user
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 12:20:32 PM »
I remember you Eysha- welcome back and have fun with the new toy. ;)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:27:16 PM »
I remember too ;)

You'll have hours and hours of fun pointing your new arrival at things and listening to that satisfying 'chunk' noise as the mirror flips. And then hours more fun working out what the heck to do with the piles of ones and zeros that you send to the computer.

Enjoy!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »
Welcome back. 

Resist the urge to put it in automatic.  At the very least, use P mode, none "scene modes". 

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
  • Starting from the beginning again...
    • ndrewbrown
    • Andrew Brown's Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 02:14:41 PM »
Welcome back, says the member who was absent for a while as well.

I would shove it in P mode a for a week, then dispence with it and start to learn  :)

At the end of the day, it is your camera, your pictures, you enjoyment - not ours.

Have fun and don't be afraid to expriment - I've often found experimenting to be the best way to learn  :tup:
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Offline eysha

• CC Regular visitor
    • TheKavanaghCollection
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »
I remember you all. It is nice to be back but I have forgotten how to use this forum - long time, bad memory, lol.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to a good, but easy, tutorial on DSLR's or the Nikon 40d please?
So much to learn.
Can I get notified if some one replies to my threads or do I have to keep popping back in to check? 
Please visit my site at

Offline Karen

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Hello :welcome:

Offline jinky

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 04:56:31 PM »
Eysha - some love him, some hate him but I`ve found old Ken Rockwell useful to check out for some basic settings / advice  but always ignore his statements of using large jpeg and auto iso settings which he seems to apply to every camera he ever advises on! I`d always use raw and prefer to set my own isos as invariably odd things happen in auto iso setting and you can end up shooting in a higher iso than needed I find. Doesn`t matter when it has done that with my D700 at times used but would with a d40.

Check it out here:
http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/

Offline eysha

• CC Regular visitor
    • TheKavanaghCollection
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 06:04:12 PM »
Hi Karen,nice to meet you.
Thanks Jinky,, will investigate.
Please visit my site at

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 06:11:44 PM »
Welcome back Eysha. I remember you, but weren't you a vintage car, instead of a butterfly?

Enjoy your new toy. As you have to start from scratch, I would start with Jpegs, rather then RAW, as that needs some practice as well.

Good luck.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline eysha

• CC Regular visitor
    • TheKavanaghCollection
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 08:12:15 PM »
Thank you R, you have a good memory, yes it was a vintage car. I am looking forward to getting it tomorrow and playing. I have worked with RAW before on my bridge camera so no problem.
Since eysha is my initials and not my first name perhaps E would be ok with everyone, it is for me.
Please visit my site at

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »
Welcome back eysha.  :tup:

This may help with settings on the D40. http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/nikon/d40-slr/nikon-d40-slr-review-12.html   ;D

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 08:12:39 AM »
You made it. Welcome back. Loking forward t your images.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline eysha

• CC Regular visitor
    • TheKavanaghCollection
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »
Thank you Oldboy and Digi, I will try, lol. Will be playing all day and enjoying it as I have waited so long for a DSLR - years in fact.
Please visit my site at

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 08:21:31 AM »
Came across this site:

http://curious.com/kenateasydslr/how-to-use-dslr-camera-features/in/dslr-photography-for-beginners?gclid=CI38z5uQj74CFSf4wgodiVAAiA

Only had a quick glance, so don't know how useful it will be.

Good luck.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 123/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 174/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 220/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 61/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 20/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 271/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM