POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: CHAT - Weekly Comp - Flora and/or Fauna- Monday 28th Apr to Sunday 4th May 2014  (Read 5806 times)

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
CHAT THREAD

This week's theme is  Flora and/or Fauna.

Go out and find some Flora and/or Fauna and have fun whilst doing it  :)

And here is a description from the internet of Flora and Fauna:

Flora and fauna refer to plant and wildlife, respectively. The indigenous plant and wildlife of a geographical region is often referred to as that region’s flora and fauna. Both are collective terms, referring to groups of plant or wildlife specific to a region or a time period. For example, the flora and fauna of a warm region may consist of tropical to warm-temperate vegetation and exotic species of birds.

By definition, flora is a word of Latin origin referring to Flora, the goddess of flowers. Flora can refer to a group of plants, a disquisition of a group of plants, as well as to bacteria. Flora is the root of the word floral, which means pertaining to flowers. Fauna can refer to the animal life or classification of animals of a certain region, time period, or environment. Fauna is also of Latin origin. In Roman Mythology Fauna was the sister of Faunus, a good spirit of the forest and plains.

No restrictions on Post Processing.

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 28th April 2014 to 23:59 Sunday 4th May 2014.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 5th May2014.
Poll will be up Tuesday 6th May2014.
Winner to be announced Saturday 10th May 2014.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc.)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night.

Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Offline DigiDiva

ooooo my new big lens can come out to play!
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104

Is that a euphemism  ;)

(Sorry couldn't help myself)
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Offline Oldboy

Is that a euphemism  ;)

(Sorry couldn't help myself)

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline DigiDiva

I dont need a euphemism with a lens that big!

Offline spikeyjen

For such a straightforward topic this one seems a bit daunting to me. For a start it's absolutely dismal weather, and the weekend is looking worse. I was hoping to get out looking for autumn colors but I doubt that will happen too.
I'm not sure if domestic cats and dogs qualify for 'fauna'.

Offline Oldboy

For such a straightforward topic this one seems a bit daunting to me. For a start it's absolutely dismal weather, and the weekend is looking worse. I was hoping to get out looking for autumn colors but I doubt that will happen too.
I'm not sure if domestic cats and dogs qualify for 'fauna'.

Fauna is Animals therefore dogs and cats would do.  :tup:

Offline DigiDiva

Fauna - the animals of a particular region, habitat, or geological period.

Offline spikeyjen

Fauna - the animals of a particular region, habitat, or geological period.

I get it, FAUNA - the animals of a particular household!

Offline DigiDiva

Exactly. flora would be the plants of a particular household!

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
As an aside, but perhaps pertinent to the title of the thread. I'm reading John Steinbeck's 'Sweet Thursday' at the moment, a follow on from Cannery Row. In it is a character who runs the local house of ill repute. Her name is Fauna. One of her girls queried her name remarking that it was somewhat strange. Another girl explained that it used to be plain old Flora, so she changed it to something a little more mysterious.

So perhaps if you have access to such a lady, an image of her could be allowed. There is a precedent. ::) :doh:

Offline jinky

I am in with lawn flora. Went for a short walk (in a busy weekend ) visiting my favourite woodland glade but light not that good for my squirrel shots and none were really playing so went for this lawn shot I took prior to cutting them down with a flymo. I did let the fly escape prior to cutting

Offline Jediboy

I'm going to struggle this week. I still can't find my charger and have two flat batteries!  :'(
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline DigiDiva

Fauna is animals. Avifauna are birds. Can I enter a bird photo?

Offline eysha

• CC Regular visitor
    • TheKavanaghCollection
Wondering if my entry was entered. I have forgotten how to do it now so Help.
Please visit my site at
www.ThekavanaghCollection.co.uk

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 47/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 124/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 175/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 224/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 22/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 271/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM