POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: New Fuji XE-2  (Read 6429 times)

Offline Karen

New Fuji XE-2
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »
Just taken delivery of the new Fuji XE-2 with 18-55mm lens. Fuji have an amazing offer on at the minute. Buy the camera and they will give you the 55-200mm lens FREE. This has the reputation of being an exceptional lens and retails at Warehouse Express for £549.

I will post a review of the system when the bloody rain stops !

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
  • Starting from the beginning again...
    • ndrewbrown
    • Andrew Brown's Photography
Re: New Fuji XE-2
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
Expect you'll have much joy with it once you get used to the way it works.
Until the XT1 came out, it was touted as the X-Pro 1 replacement - but I'm still extremely happy with mine.

As with any camera, any limitations that are put on it, are by the owners/ users and not the camera  :o

As for the lens - I find it amusing that the 18mm is now considered to be "not up to Fuji standards" - but to my knowledge all of them are extremely capable  :tup:
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Offline Karen

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:36:03 AM »
I toyed with the XT-1 but because I want a more compact camera went with the XE-2

Offline jinky

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 08:44:12 PM »
I'm thinking xt1 when I get rid of some of my Nikon best next year and give up the weddings. Be interested in hearing how the XE performs.

Offline Karen

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 11:25:40 PM »
Hopefully get out at the weekend with it. I got tired of lugging the canons around and in this day and age now with more choice decided there was no need.

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
    • ndrewbrown
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 12:38:25 PM »
Well, the XE2 was the rave camera until the XT-1 appeared, and has pretty much all of the same image capturing technology, just not the weatherproofing and the 8fps with associated AF.

It's interesting to note how many pros are moving over the Fuji X systems becaue of the smaller compact lighter systems along with price. And with 16mp still getting the IQ that they need. What i find most interesting is how many are running on 3 prime lenses - usually the 14mm, 23mm and 56mm.

I still ponder over a second lens of either the 14mm or the 10-24. The 23mm still sits in there some where, but maybe as a 3rd lens. I don't have a need for a long lens. I just can't justify the cost for a couple of shots each year. It would be cheaper to rent than buy. Enjoy your weekend.
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!

Offline Karen

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 02:10:35 PM »
It was tempting to go for the xt-1 but given the xe-2 has all the specs i need and to be honest had i gone for the xt-1 i then would have been wanting the battery grip etc and i would have lost sight of my objective which was to go for a more compact camera body
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:11:51 PM by Karen »

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
    • ndrewbrown
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 07:02:34 PM »
And sticking with your goal is what will make your photography what you want  :tup:

Hence I'm happy with my X-Pro 1.  I only I didn't need a second lens  :(

Just a shame you needed LR5, but at least the price is much cheaper now than in previous version  :dance:

Offline Karen

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 12:14:07 PM »
Yeah was a bit of a bummer but at least i got the upgrade as already using 4. Very pleased already with the build weight etc of the camera.

Offline Graham

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 04:49:39 PM »
And sticking with your goal is what will make your photography what you want  :tup:

Just a shame you needed LR5, but at least the price is much cheaper now than in previous version  :dance:

What lens do you need? I have the 18mm f2.0 sitting here unused.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 06:22:39 PM »

And unloved......shame on you!  :2funny: :legit:

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
    • ndrewbrown
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 01:34:17 PM »

Graham,

my plan was always to go for the 10-24 or 14mm if the 10-24 was not up to scratch.

I keep looking at the 18mm because of the dropping prices - but can't seem to make my mind up. Clearly, the £800+ is noticeably more expensive than a s/h 18mm, and i think that's why i so mixed in my thinking. 18mm now, or 10-24/14 for Xmas! The WA/UWA definitely suits what I'm looking at nowadays...

If you want to DM me a price, I'll run it by Mrs B tomorrow for her take (read permission, ok, approval!)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:36:49 PM by Andrew »

Offline Graham

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 07:46:58 AM »

Graham,

my plan was always to go for the 10-24 or 14mm if the 10-24 was not up to scratch.

I keep looking at the 18mm because of the dropping prices - but can't seem to make my mind up. Clearly, the £800+ is noticeably more expensive than a s/h 18mm, and i think that's why i so mixed in my thinking. 18mm now, or 10-24/14 for Xmas! The WA/UWA definitely suits what I'm looking at nowadays...

If you want to DM me a price, I'll run it by Mrs B tomorrow for her take (read permission, ok, approval!)

PM sent.   Sorry to hijack your thread Karen.  :-[
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline jinky

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 11:57:34 AM »
So how are you finding the Xe2 Karen? Wondering about low light capabilities. What lenses are you using with it as I`m seeing a great twin lens offer just now + new firmware release claining to match it up to XT 1 levels  in some aspects. Have you updated firmware?

Offline Karen

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 01:20:43 PM »
I went for the twin lens offer and am awaiting my free 55-200mm lens now which retails at £549 in warehouse express so personally I think this is an excellent offer. The 55-200mm has been getting some superb reviews so looking forward to trying it out. Mines came with the 18-55mm kit lens which is a good solid weight, well built. The camera itself handles like "old school" cameras of the past being similar in size to my first pentax me super. The retro design is attractive ( I went for the all black model) The buttons are well laid out and its very easy to access menus.
 I found the camera very intuative. I still feel like I have a "proper" camera in my hands which alaid my fears re selling my Dslr. The AF is fast and locks on quickly and the addition of an aperture ring on the lenses is inspired, it just makes taking the photograph one fluid movement of adjustments. The EVF took a little getting used to. The addition of eye detection is good and saves battery life. When you put your eye to the viewfinder it comes on and the screen goes out and vice versa. I have added a thumb grip to mine as I found I had nowhere to rest my thumb and this cheap fix has worked a treat. There is an option of a larger hand grip which I may look into in the future. The onboard flash is at best "an onboard flash" enough said. Fuji are found kind of lacking in the flash department at the minute.
The files write quickly to the camera even in raw mode. Shooting 3 different exposure I found I had to wait but not so that it was annoying. The colours are as always with fuji very pleasing.
There are many interesting features on it which I havent had time to get round to trying out yet mainly because of time and the weather.
I had to update the firmware on the camera and the lens when it came but it was a simple enough method and didnt take long.
I cant fill you in re low light yet as havent had opportunity. I'll probably add a wider lens in the future
All in all Im very pleased with it and most of all "excited" by it which to me is what you want to feel about your camera. So easy to carry around compared with my dslr I look forward to taking it everywhere with me.
Watch this space I'll add more as I get more experience with it
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:23:13 AM by Karen »

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 54/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 126/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 178/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 225/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 66/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 24/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 276/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 269/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM