STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollRFELCTIONS - Chat Thread...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice house

Author Topic: KISS  (Read 797 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
KISS
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »
Yesterday evening I was inveigled into giving a presentation to a group of eager new camera club members of varying experience and expertise, entitled ' How I arrive at my final image'.

Not owning a laptop, the lady that organises the group supplied me with her own, loaded with L/room and CS5. I was to supply a memory stick with several RAW images and work on from there.

The mouse I was informed was a Travelling Mouse, about the size of a ping pong ball which I found almost impossible to operate, but finally got the hang of it. The first problem that made me appear more of a fumbling idiot than I really am and called into question what little expertise that I possess. ???

When L/room and CS5 loaded the, setup was totally different to how I have it on my PC. The content was the same but in a different order or position to my well established and familiar screen at home. There were things that I'd never seen or noticed before and some that were apparently missing. :o 

A distinct mumbling from the assembled throng. I had a strong impression that they were beginning to wish they'd opted for Man.C Vs Barcelona, I know I wish I had.

The title KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid refers to the fact that more than half didn't think a finished picture was worth a candle unless there had been some intricate and involved manipulation of layers, masks etc. There seemed to be a consensus that if there was a button or slider available it must be there to be used, and so why didn't I use it.

One lady, who reminded me of the aptly named Miss Tarbox my first school teacher, wouldn't take on board that the Soft Proofing box would only be needed if she printed the image, and since she only produced PDI's it needn't bother her. :uglystupid2:

What an evening! Never again. It confirmed that there are a myriad of ways to arrive at what you want but there are those that want to take the long way round every time to satisfy themselves that there must be some merit in their results.

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
  • Starting from the beginning again...
    • ndrewbrown
    • Andrew Brown's Photography
Re: KISS
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:56:02 AM »
Ooops - a hard lesson learned then?  :'(

We can all become set in 'our ways' - and if it works, why should we change it?

I often wonder at how little i touch sliders & buttons etc in processing - so i wouldn't be any good either!
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 01:29:27 PM »
I see the biggest problem I see here is the people not appreciating what you were doing.   It almost sounds like they were rude. 

Offline spinner

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 01:53:02 PM »

When L/room and CS5 loaded the, setup was totally different to how I have it on my PC. The content was the same but in a different order or position to my well established and familiar screen at home. There were things that I'd never seen or noticed before and some that were apparently missing. :o 

I understand the feeling. All the 'hidden' tools and such, seems that every upgrade means re learning both programs.  :'( Even the differences between the Mac version and Windows version are confusing for me.  :o
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 101/2 Oldboy Last post August 09, 2020, 05:58:50 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 189/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx RFELCTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 38/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 9/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 61/1 jinky Last post August 09, 2020, 07:40:00 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 233/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 254/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636699/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM