Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: DIY Infinity Curve  (Read 4403 times)

Offline DigiDiva

DIY Infinity Curve
« on: January 21, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »
Has anyone made their own infinity curve? I'm wanting to make a small table top one for my still life images and was wondering how easy it is. I'm guessing you would make a frame, cover plywood in some kind of vinyl and attach it (curved) to the frame.

Any ideas anyone?

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
Re: DIY Infinity Curve
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 01:42:33 PM »
Google has  :tup:

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »
I have seen a few tutorials on this. 

Offline spikeyjen

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 09:14:49 PM »
mmm what is it?

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 10:16:55 PM »
Not had luck with google......

Offline kerbside

• kerbside
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 10:51:39 PM »
Chris is this the sort of thing that you are wanting?
http://www.pictureperfect.co.za/building%20your%20own%20infinity%20curve.pdf

Mate of mine found an old white fibreglass bath and cut the end off, the bit where you normally sit, works perfect for small objects, got it from the local recycle for a fiver. :tup:

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Offline spikeyjen

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 11:42:57 PM »
OK, now I know.
I have a home made light box (square wooden thing with sides and top cut out, and has white cotton sheeting around the outside.). We had our local men's shed make a few for our club members.

I put a sheet of upu paper (artist paper) along the bottom and up the back and it has a little edge at the front that stops the paper sliding out.
I can post a pic if that's what you are after?

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »
You want to look for "shooting table" photography as without the photography you will get lazy Americans with guns on tables. 

Offline oggalily

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 01:03:37 PM »
Maybe not exactly what you are after, but when I've needed an infinity curve I've just used coloured paper or card and some Blu-Tack.  These all used A4 but you could use A3 for bigger items.

(apologies in advance for pimping my own photos)

beanz by oggalily, on Flickr

blue man group by oggalily, on Flickr

hammy birthday by oggalily, on Flickr

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 02:49:30 PM »
Ogga, that's pretty much what I do. Although sometimes I will use a piece of thinnish white acrylic clamped at the front to a workmate and wedged against a wall, firing a flash from underneath the curve to give a pure white background. Tip - don't try this in a freezing cold garage, because the acrylic snaps in half and then you have to go and buy some more. Told to me by a friend. Ahem.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline oggalily

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 02:59:41 PM »
Good tip, H.  Zack Arias uses a sheet of glossy tile from a hardware store when shooting people on full-size white seamless.  He has them stand on it to get nice reflections of their legs:
http://zackarias.com/misc-photos/dubai-day-04/ 

As with most things this could be scaled down using a sheet of glass / perspex / acrylic.

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 04:04:36 PM »
Haven't ventured into acrylic or perspex, but have used stiff paper or card (A4 and A3) regularly.
And every photographer should have Blu-Tack!

A cloth, especially if slightly starched, can work too.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Graham

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 05:49:40 PM »
Good tip, H.  Zack Arias uses a sheet of glossy tile from a hardware store when shooting people on full-size white seamless.  He has them stand on it to get nice reflections of their legs:
http://zackarias.com/misc-photos/dubai-day-04/ 

As with most things this could be scaled down using a sheet of glass / perspex / acrylic.

Thanks for that link, I think I'm going to be spending a bit of time over there.  :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 06:32:17 PM »
Lots of fabulous ideas. Thanks so much everyone.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 196/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 229/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635984/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 55/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 192/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 234/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM