Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Dangerous hobby  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Jediboy

Dangerous hobby
« on: December 16, 2013, 08:44:06 PM »
Saw this feature on my local rag website today.

I never really think of photography as a dangerous hobby/profession. Hope this chap has a speedy recovery.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/photographer-suffers-facial-injuries-after-being-hit-by-dirt-bike-at-motorcross-event-1-5752354

May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: Dangerous hobby
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:59:11 PM »

I never really think of photography as a dangerous hobby/profession. Hope this chap has a speedy recovery.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/photographer-suffers-facial-injuries-after-being-hit-by-dirt-bike-at-motorcross-event-1-5752354

Photography can be extremely dangerous. How often don't you read about people, falling into ravines, or off cliffs onto the beach or into the sea, because they went just that little step too far, for the perfect shot?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »

Photography can be extremely dangerous. How often don't you read about people, falling into ravines, or off cliffs onto the beach or into the sea, because they went just that little step too far, for the perfect shot?

Not sure that I've ever read of any such incident?!!?

Chris

Offline Graham

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 09:27:14 PM »

This is where he would have been taken. The view from my bedroom window, taken a while back. (With a 300mm 2.8 and a 1.5 converter.)

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:29:05 AM »

Not sure that I've ever read of any such incident?!!?

Here's one but there are plenty of others.  :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11513142

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 06:45:01 AM »
Clearly I'm not pushing myself and am too risk averse.  ;)

Chris

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 06:46:07 AM »
And I would argue that this isn't dangerous. More stupid.

Chris

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 08:48:17 AM »

Or totally engrossed in what you're doing.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline hssutton

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 11:00:36 AM »

Or totally engrossed in what you're doing.

Must agree with Reinardina. A few years ago I was concentrating so much on photographing a Goliath Heron in Kenya I didn't notice the big croc swimming towards me. Fortunately my wife did.

Harry

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 07:25:54 PM »

Must agree with Reinardina. A few years ago I was concentrating so much on photographing a Goliath Heron in Kenya I didn't notice the big croc swimming towards me. Fortunately my wife did.

Harry

You mean she warned you instead of adding up all the insurance policies!  :o  :legit:

Offline hssutton

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »

Harry

You mean she warned you instead of adding up all the insurance policies!  :o  :legit:

Yes, she loves me, or maybe her brain didn't work fast enough at the time.

Offline Graham

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 07:16:11 AM »

Harry

Bet she was going "Here crocky crocky crocky"!  :2funny:

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »

Harry

Bet she was going "Here crocky crocky crocky"!  :2funny:

Heel! Heel! More like.  :P

Offline Graham

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
  Dangerous hobby indeed.
  Reminds me that in the film days I used a Nikon FM 2 with a motorwind at about 7 frames a second, this really made the winder spin.
  Unfortunately the winder was a bit loose. I was using the camera in "Portrait" mode once, when the winder flipped down, got caught under my right nostril and damn near ripped my face off!

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 10:14:56 AM »
  Dangerous hobby indeed.
  Reminds me that in the film days I used a Nikon FM 2 with a motorwind at about 7 frames a second, this really made the winder spin.
  Unfortunately the winder was a bit loose. I was using the camera in "Portrait" mode once, when the winder flipped down, got caught under my right nostril and damn near ripped my face off!

Now that would have been a picture worth seeing!  :P

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 136/1 Oldboy Last post August 08, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 230/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 249/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636544/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 207/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 242/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM