POLL - Home and GardenHOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...

Author Topic: Top Ten Tips??  (Read 840 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Top Ten Tips??
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:33:39 AM »
May be useful if you have aspirations to reach the top. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24954370

Going to a school that has a darkroom ( :o) may be a good start plus connections to those that are in the upper echelons of society.  8)

It may sound like sour grapes, but I'm sure you've noticed that pictures of people in the public eye, no matter how dire they are, get your work noticed. No images here of Mrs Bloggs or Charlie Smith.

Online Jediboy

Re: Top Ten Tips??
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »
I suppose we live in a society where celebrities are idolised (not by me I must add!!)
Newsagents shelves are overflowing with celebrity gossip magazines - and the people that read them are interested in celebrities not photography, so to them the subject of the photograph is important, not the quality of the image.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »

It may sound like sour grapes, but I'm sure you've noticed that pictures of people in the public eye, no matter how dire they are, get your work noticed. No images here of Mrs Bloggs or Charlie Smith.

I'm not sure that's true, and the reason for no images of Mrs Bloggs or Charlie Smith is, we the public, only want to see celebrities.  :-\

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 10:55:24 AM »

I'm not sure that's true, and the reason for no images of Mrs Bloggs or Charlie Smith is, we the public, only want to see celebrities.  :-\

Just wait till Mrs Bloggs spots Beckham, or Justin Bieber, makes a nuisance of herself trying to take their photograph with her tablet, and has to be cautioned by police.
From then on she is a cheleb herself, and you will see photographs of her, giving interviews to the gossip magazines, or daytime chat shows.
And we all know, once you've been on TV, you are a celebrity in your own right.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »

Isn't that a sad indictment of the situation today if that's the case? :(

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
  • Starting from the beginning again...
    • ndrewbrown
    • Andrew Brown's Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:42:04 PM »
it is indeed a sad fact that we live in a 'celeb based society'  :(

The other issue with celebrities nowadays is 'brand' - celebrities names have suddenly become a brand.
And it is this brand that i think is half the problem - the requirements of a brand is that they have total control of what is said or printed about them, even if they don't fully understand the concept.

In saying that, i'm minded of a certain female celeb who tried to sue a football club because it was using 'her' brand - even though she hadn't even been born, let alone thought of when the football club became affectionately known as POSH.

I do think that film taught people to be more thoughtful before pressing the button, but have to admit i do enjoy the benefits brought about by digital. Problem is - my grandchildren think that photos are taken with phones and think 'film' is something you watch at the cinema  :doh:

My Top Ten tips for 'making it' in photography?

Believe in yourself
Market yourself for all your worth
Have something that takes photos
Create and register your brand - making sure it involves use of a single word or name
Don't care what people think about your work so long as you're bringing the money in or getting published

I know, it's not 10 - but that's how it seems to work nowadays.
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 11:44:54 PM »
My Top Ten tips for 'making it' in photography?

Believe in yourself
Market yourself for all your worth
Have something that takes photos
Create and register your brand - making sure it involves use of a single word or name
Don't care what people think about your work so long as you're bringing the money in or getting published

I know, it's not 10 - but that's how it seems to work nowadays.

Ah! That explains why you don't make any money.....you can't count!  :P :legit:

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Home and Garden International Weekly Comp Entries 84/0 Jediboy Last post April 07, 2020, 11:06:27 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 181/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 171/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:45:17 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 109/4 Jediboy Last post April 06, 2020, 04:14:53 PM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 229/5 Jediboy Last post April 05, 2020, 11:46:39 PM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 68/0 jinky Last post April 05, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 594653/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571893/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM