POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Tony Ray-Jones and Martin Parr exhibition  (Read 1024 times)

Offline oggalily

Tony Ray-Jones and Martin Parr exhibition
« on: November 12, 2013, 06:50:36 AM »
I appreciate that this style of work, and Martin Parr in particular, divides opinions; but worth a look.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-24826739

Offline Graham

Re: Tony Ray-Jones and Martin Parr exhibition
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 07:05:11 AM »
I appreciate that this style of work, and Martin Parr in particular, divides opinions; but worth a look.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-24826739

Paging Abers...Abers to the forum please.   ;D
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »
Oh no not that man again!  :'(

Parr is the only man that can talk up a picture to the extent that any interest you've initially shown quickly disappears. Here is an attendee after five minutes at one of his presentations.  ::)

ALBERT by abers, on Flickr

Great set of pictures though, must get up to see the exhibition. Thanks for the steer Ogga.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:39:47 AM by ABERS »

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 08:54:29 AM »
Inspiring images!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Online Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:39:50 AM »
He does talk a lot of twaddle doesn't he? There are some good pictures there, many of which would see a photographer today taking the same shots under suspicion from Yewtree or burnt alive, if they were unfortunate enough to have been in Bristol at the time.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline jinky

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »
Quite liked looking at them for the social history. What gets me is why at the science Museum. It`s the London focus that recently had the media Museum at risk. Having finally decided it merited staying open after the massive petitions why isn`t a photographic exhibition on there first for once!!!! >:(

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »
I must admit the Science Museum seems a strange choice, unless the decision was based on the  fact that the origins of photography were based on the physical properties of light and its chemical reactions with certain compounds.

Whereas the National Media Museum would have been a logical choice what else is there to see in Bradford, apart from Harry Ramsdens in Guisley.  :tup:

Offline jinky

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 05:45:36 PM »
Afraid there isn`t even Harry Ramsdens now. Long since bankrupt though someone is now buying the brand to re-open sometime. But Bradford has the National media Museum run by that same section. Surely common sense should prevail and people can come and see the glorious dales and moors and take photographs!

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
  • Starting from the beginning again...
    • ndrewbrown
    • Andrew Brown's Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 08:44:59 PM »
Spotted these on the BBC yesterday.
I'd seen the Parr shots at a previous event in which he was a guest speaker.

I like the social aspect of his work, looking at some of the pics certainly took me back to days gone by - and i envy his ability to make a living out of photographing lamp stands and similar mundane stuff.
Simple fact is - he was in the right place at the right time - but i think celebrity has some how undone his game a little bit.
Bit like asking Esther Ransom to do an undercover survey of people on the streets!

Shan't bother buying a ticket to London to see something i've already seen most of.

Also, i see much more interesting social shots being captured by 'amateurs' than this pro...
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 47/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 124/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 175/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 224/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 22/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 271/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM