POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: QOTD 30th October - Image Stabilisation  (Read 1567 times)

Offline spikeyjen

QOTD 30th October - Image Stabilisation
« on: October 29, 2013, 08:21:05 PM »
Following on from the tripod question, I learned a while ago that I should turn the image stabilisation (vibration reduction) OFF when using a tripod. Then I would find I'd forget to turn it back on when hand holding.

Do you change your IS (VR) setting when using a tripod?

Offline Jediboy

Re: QOTD 30th October - Image Stabilisation
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 08:36:30 PM »
I only have one VR lens, and never put it on a tripod. The ones I do put on the tripod don't have VR.
But if I did put my VR lens on the tripod, then yes, I would turn VR off. Then, as sure as eggs are eggs, I would forget to turn it back on again afterwards!!  :uglystupid2:
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:14:04 PM »
I don't turn off VR even on a tripod. Nikon's VR system senses if the lens is moving then activates VR else, if it's still it's automatically switched off.  :tup:

Offline jinky

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 09:36:43 PM »
That`s not what I`ve read Oldboy. I never switch vr on unless I need it. Some notes here http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm that sum up what I`d been told nicely.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 10:25:27 PM »
That`s not what I`ve read Oldboy. I never switch vr on unless I need it. Some notes here http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm that sum up what I`d been told nicely.

Interesting but I go on personel experience.  ???

Offline hssutton

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 11:01:05 PM »
The later canon lens have what is called tripod detection, All my Canon lenses apart from my 100-400 are of this type, so I never switch off IS. I cannot recall a time when I've used the 100-400 on a tripod

Harry

Offline Graham

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 07:27:25 AM »
 Off with the rarely used tripod, on with the often used monopod.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 08:21:52 AM »
Never touch it.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 08:30:15 AM »
My Pentax K5 has IS in body, so all lenses are stabilised. It is automatically turned it off if the timer function or remote release is used. As you would never press the shutter button with the camera on a tripod because there is always the risk of movement, this covers the issue automatically, even for really old manual lenses.

Otherwise it is permanently on (my choice).

My older Pentax bodies have a switch.

Now, sometimes I forget to turn the IS off on these older bodies and can't say I have noticed one jot of difference in the results.

I expect this is because all IS systems work by analysing movement before releasing the shutter, and as the camera shouldn't be moving if it's on a tripod and remote or timer released, there are no corrections to apply.

Interesting article Jinky. Food for thought.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:32:56 AM by Hinfrance »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 09:11:16 AM »
Like Hinfrance, my Pentax K10D has IS which turns of automatically even while the switch is still in the on position, if a remote is in use or a time delay is set. I'm sure Pentax wouldn't make such an arrangement unless they thought it necessary. I've often wondered what the reason is. One theory I've heard is that an IS (or VR) system seeing no movement at all might occasionally try to "hunt" for a change and so actually create a movement.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 11:41:26 AM »
Like Hinfrance, my Pentax K10D has IS which turns of automatically even while the switch is still in the on position, if a remote is in use or a time delay is set. I'm sure Pentax wouldn't make such an arrangement unless they thought it necessary. I've often wondered what the reason is. One theory I've heard is that an IS (or VR) system seeing no movement at all might occasionally try to "hunt" for a change and so actually create a movement.

Looks like I need to read the manual properly Simon - I've got a K10D too and didn't realise that it turned the IS off in those circumstances. I'm proving myself to be a bit scatty this week, with forgetting to post my picture in the breakfast entries thread.  :uglystupid2:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline jinky

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »

I`d heard the same about Nikon VR and certainly saw some evidence when my 16-35 was n a tripod with VR switched on when it did blur. Thought the lens was focusing badly until I realised and re-shot with perfect results (well apart from my input anyway ;))

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 47/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 124/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 175/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 225/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 65/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 22/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 272/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM