POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: Fortnightly topic... Nude photography  (Read 3187 times)

Offline spikeyjen

Fortnightly topic... Nude photography
« on: October 22, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
Have you ever been involved in a photography shoot involving nude photography?

Ever been a model?   :legit:

Ever wanted to photograph nude models?

Book Review: The Digital Female Nude   http://digital-photography-school.com/the-digital-female-nude-book-review

Photography tips: http://digital-photography-school.com/9-nude-photography-tips

No, I'm not suggesting we have a weekly competition involving nude photography, just a controversial topic to start the month off...
When I did a Mr Google search for this topic, I couldn't actually find any sites that were both tasteful and helpful. Unfortunately most were either glamour nudes or censor material.

Does anyone have any interesting (or funny) stories, experiences, tips or links to share....
Or perhaps just an opinion...
(I hope I don't get expelled for this.....)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
Re: Fortnightly topic... Nude photography
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:06:12 PM »
I'm no prude (if that is the right word) but in my opinion; Private aspects of that Nature should be kept private. ie. What folk do or have in private collections is up to them, but I do not wish to see them personally on or in an open source public forum.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:21:36 PM by Beaux Reflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline jinky

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 01:24:02 PM »
I don`t think nude photography is something you need to necessarily  see as some sort of sexual type  issue to keep private Andy. Never done it myself and must admit think it`s too late for me to try out now without looking like a dirty old man potentially to others not seeing photography as an art form to pursue. In doing some of the model shoots I`ve done I`ve felt  embarrassed enough trying to shape peoples bodies without touching (usually fail) and prodding so a nude would be out of the question for me unless like some models I`ve shot they have their own poses they just throw at me when I say what I am looking for.

In many ways a nude photography session would be the ultimate in putting together shape, form and light with emotion - if I had the nerve I`d love to do some in retrospect  :)

As for the forum aspect I agree Andy that such images should not be in the general forum but see no problem in being in a separate thread with an over 18s warning as long as they do not edge towards the obscene wherein lies another debate.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »
I don`t think nude photography is something you need to necessarily  see as some sort of sexual type  issue to keep private Andy. Never done it myself and must admit think it`s too late for me to try out now without looking like a dirty old man potentially to others not seeing photography as an art form to pursue. In doing some of the model shoots I`ve done I`ve felt  embarrassed enough trying to shape peoples bodies without touching (usually fail) and prodding so a nude would be out of the question for me unless like some models I`ve shot they have their own poses they just throw at me when I say what I am looking for.

In many ways a nude photography session would be the ultimate in putting together shape, form and light with emotion - if I had the nerve I`d love to do some in retrospect  :)

As for the forum aspect I agree Andy that such images should not be in the general forum but see no problem in being in a separate thread with an over 18s warning as long as they do not edge towards the obscene wherein lies another debate.

I do not see it as some sexual type issue at all Paul. I have been to life classes to sketch models and admired others works in Art and Photography.

At the end of the day where the lines of decency or tastefulness fall is an individual thing, and therefore should remain as or in a private view so that others are not offended, bearing in mind that even my youngest daughter loves viewing the images here on Camera Craniums.

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 02:26:06 PM »
I keep trying nude photography but everyone keeps telling me to put my clothes back on! 

Thank you, thank you, I am here all week!   :legit:

Someone was going to say it, we all know it :) 

I have no done any nude.  I have never worked with a professional model either. 

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »
Never done it myself  . . .
Liar Liar Pants On Fire - many of us still remember the infamous bodyscape self portrait!  :2funny: :D :dance: :legit:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »
Never done it myself  . . .
Liar Liar Pants On Fire - many of us still remember the infamous bodyscape self portrait!  :2funny: :D :dance: :legit:
There is not proof of anything. 

Is there?  :tup:

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 11:38:29 PM »
Nude photography, if done tastefully, is lovely. If done wrong, its  different ball (haha..no pun intended) game. I would love to try it, but don't understand studio lighting enough to even think about it.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline spikeyjen

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 11:50:02 PM »
it's probably worth a brief reflection on how uncomfortable this topic might make you feel. Especially these days with the fear of being called a pervert (we have a chap in our camera club who refuses to photograph any children, such as girls doing highland dancing at our local show- he's an ex-lawyer)

I'd love to have a go, and like Jinky, I like the notion of shape, light, form.. but my preference would have to be 'real' people, not skinny models in provocative poses. I recently saw an exhibition of photographs, self portraits of an older man in an 'ordinary body'. There was nothing distasteful at all about the photographs, just clever angles, good use of light and a really strong message about body image and aging.

I think if I was going to take my clothes off in front of the camera I'd have to really really trust the photographer with lots of 'conditions'. (perhaps a bag over my head!!!)

I'm intregued about the 'infamous bodyscape self portrait.....'  do share.....

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »
I'm intregued about the 'infamous bodyscape self portrait.....'  do share.....

Hopefully, for the sake of humanity, all evidence has been irrevocably erased.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline spikeyjen

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 08:41:30 AM »
please don't share the photo... but do share the story

Offline jinky

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »
please don't share the photo... but do share the story

I`d quite forgotten that episode H - painful memories. From DCW days.Some will remember fizzio and his great photography and critiques who , being a fellow geordie, could get carried away with himself. having won a weekend comp and been to a Manchester gallery seeing images based on use of the nude body adorned with objects to use it as landscape etc set a challenge of using body parts for the same type of image. I`d taken early retirement and  was off on my first trip that week so apologised saying I would not be able to do one but looked forward to seeing the results. Anyway after a sleepless night I was up in the early hours, finished my packing and thought why not. Using a black dressing gown adorned with celestial images / planets I carefully positioned my Giotto rocket blower. First I adorned it with a few GB stickers. The tricky part was using the self timer whilst laying on my stomach and keeping the rocket blower delicately balanced on my derriere as I had no assistance in this set up. With poor off camera flash technique at the time it was not one of my best but I was able to do a quick edit and post before going on holiday.
It didn`t win and lost of rude comments praising my bravery as others had all gone for the forearm / safer zones.  Lots of banter with the funniest and rudest comment from Shelfey of course - he did funny reviews on the old DCW site with lost of shots featuring his yellow rubber ducks and eventually got banned for one of his titles for offensive language - all rather pathetic really. Anyway once I had explained that it was lit with flash ( it had to be as a bit of nude work) he praised the shot saying that he was particularly impressed with how I had been able to replicate the cratered effect of the moon on my backside - cheeky sod! All due to dodge and burn techniques I said as mine was like a babies bum!
Still in touch with fizzio and Shelfey via facebook and actually 2nd shot a wedding with Kristin ( fizzio) a couple of years back and got him the gig with a mate`s wedding back then and fun to meet up. Shelefy is living a crofters life in Ireland after leaving smoggy Middlesborough and does lots of hdrs and still the odd shot of his ducks. I still have that photo somewhere as I came across it a month or so back on a disc or somewhere. Got an email from a work colleague tipped off my someone else saying " Glad to see you`re putting your early retirement to good use and flashing your bum all over the internet" and thanks to my "mate" the picture was sent throughout my old work network.

Offline spikeyjen

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 09:54:51 AM »
 :2funny:
thanks for sharing, and NO I don't want to see, I'll leave that to my imagination

Offline spikeyjen

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 10:19:18 PM »
If you wish to visit some websites I found this site that links you to a number of photographers.
In particular I liked the work of Alina Lebedeva and Christoph Gamper. Perhaps keep out of reach of children

http://www.fineartnude.com/webring/

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 11:14:10 PM »
If you had the choice spikeyjen, would you photography nude males or females?
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 33/0 Hinfrance Last post Today at 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 120/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 172/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 217/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 57/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 19/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 262/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 264/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM