Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: What do people look for in a photograph?  (Read 10334 times)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
What do people look for in a photograph?
« on: October 19, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »
It is interesting to see, how totally differently the same photograph can be looked at, or attract attention.

I'll stick to things I know, and use my own photograph as an example. My competition entry in this week's competition (Memento Mori) attracted two votes (thank you to those who voted for it) and in total five views.

On Flickr however, it still attracts regular 'lookers' and has been viewed over 6000 (six thousand) times.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reinardina/10241776533/

Yes, Flickr is a global site and has many more members than CC, but still, we are all into photography in one way or another.

I know there are doubts about the Flickr viewing figures, and I too find them astonishing at times, but I think that relates more to the general 'stats graph' than the actual views per image.

The people commenting on the image or those who 'faved' it, definitely had a look at it, so what is the difference between global photo enthusiasts and the CC members?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
Re: What do people look for in a photograph?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 02:03:07 PM »
I don't think it is down to any difference between global photo enthusiasts and the CC members beyond the numbers viewing via Flickr.

That said, on CC it was in a Still Life comp and viewing figures are lower on smaller forum sites.

As to the number of views on Flickr, the imagery is very strong. Although, I have to say that the title really cements the image and this probably helped in the high viewing numbers

A simple composition that touches or tweaks a nerve upon the common aspect of man's mortality, portraid in a individual and perhaps unique fashion. I think that it is also a photograph from your heart Reinardina, and perhaps that adds to the appeal of your rather symbolic shot.

It got my vote (regardless of viewing figures) because of the loneliness seen in that single red berry portraid in the lengthening shadow.

It just struck a chord.

Good shot  :tup:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 02:14:46 PM by Beaux Reflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 03:58:25 PM »
When viewing images, I like something that catches my immediate attention straight away. Something strinking, unusual, uncomplicated and simple.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »
I don't think it is down to any difference between global photo enthusiasts and the CC members beyond the numbers viewing via Flickr.

That said, on CC it was in a Still Life comp and viewing figures are lower on smaller forum sites.

As to the number of views on Flickr, the imagery is very strong. Although, I have to say that the title really cements the image and this probably helped in the high viewing numbers

A simple composition that touches or tweaks a nerve upon the common aspect of man's mortality, portraid in a individual and perhaps unique fashion. I think that it is also a photograph from your heart Reinardina, and perhaps that adds to the appeal of your rather symbolic shot.

It got my vote (regardless of viewing figures) because of the loneliness seen in that single red berry portraid in the lengthening shadow.

It just struck a chord.

Good shot  :tup:

Thanks Andy for the beautiful comment!

It was the yew berry that attracted my attention first. For exactly the same reason it 'got' to you.

The sarcophagus was almost white, and with a beautiful texture, in rich contrast to the berry. The berry was not in the right place, but it was stuck to the stone, so I could not move it, and had to arrange the still life around it. Or rather to one side.
It might not have come out so well, if I had been able to move it, so nature helped me a bit.

Thanks again.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 04:43:59 PM »
When viewing images, I like something that catches my immediate attention straight away. Something strinking, unusual, uncomplicated and simple.

And this one does not fall in this category? Too complicated?
With hindsight, I might have stuck with just the berry. But then the coffin would have been so obvious, and might have put people off.

Offline DigiDiva

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 05:53:47 PM »
No sorry Reinardina that isn't what I meant at all. I didn't realise the thread was about your image, I thought it was generally about what attracts you to a photograph, hence my comment. Your image looks different somehow in Flickr than in the weekly comp. Maybe i looked at it with a different eye (a general eye) than i did as a voter in the comp 'Still Life'. .I read it different in Flickr than I did in the comp.

I think we are 'blinkered' when we look at an image for the comp as we are seeing how it fits the theme rather than the meaning behind the image itself. However, looking at an image with no pretext gives a different impression, in my opinion anyway.

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 06:27:59 PM »
No sorry Reinardina that isn't what I meant at all. I didn't realise the thread was about your image, I thought it was generally about what attracts you to a photograph, hence my comment. Your image looks different somehow in Flickr than in the weekly comp. Maybe i looked at it with a different eye (a general eye) than i did as a voter in the comp 'Still Life'. .I read it different in Flickr than I did in the comp.

I think we are 'blinkered' when we look at an image for the comp as we are seeing how it fits the theme rather than the meaning behind the image itself. However, looking at an image with no pretext gives a different impression, in my opinion anyway.

I was just curious.

No, this is not specifically about this image, but images (on CC) in general.

When an image is uploaded to the site, it appears on the home page, and when it first appears, no one knows that it is a competition entry.  Unless it sticks very close to the brief, like water droplets, or the classic still lifes.
I like to think, my shot was not immediately recognisable as a still life competition entry. It could have been about nature, the seasons, autumn, colour, textures etc.

And at this point, it did not attract any attention at all. While on Flickr it was immediately picked up, and comments and 'faves' started to flood in.

That is what I am trying to get to the bottom of. Are people just glancing at the thumbnails? And then go straight to the forums? Are they looking at all? Is it worthwhile to upload any images, other then competition ones?

It has puzzled me for some time, and if anyone has any ideas, or dares to admit he/she is not looking at the pictures at all, I'd like to know.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 06:52:53 PM »
I look at all the images full size before making my vote. I may quickly select two then will check each again before voting.  :tup:

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »
I look at all the images full size before making my vote. I may quickly select two then will check each again before voting.  :tup:

I check them at large size too.

But this was not meant to be about the competition. Maybe I should not have chosen that particular image.

My shot Autumn Light, not a competition entry,

has had nearly 5000 views on Flickr, and only 5 on CC.

Are CC members less curious to see the full image? Are they happy to see just the thumbnail?
It is still puzzling me.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 09:53:15 PM »
It depends on time, as opening each image then clicking to enlarge takes time, which some may not have.  :(

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 08:18:25 AM »
You must be doing something right on Flickr Re, I only ever had one image that had more than 3000 views and that was because the title was the same as a now defunct TV show. The next highest is less than 2500, then 1500, then everything else less than 1000. My pictures are doing really well if they get more than 100 views, most get less than 50.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:20:02 AM by Hinfrance »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 08:41:40 AM »
It depends on time, as opening each image then clicking to enlarge takes time, which some may not have.  :(

Maybe Flickr users have more time to spend online, or maybe the larger 'thumbnails' (almost handprints on Flickr these days) grab the attention more immediately?

You must be doing something right on Flickr Re, I only ever had one image that had more than 3000 views and that was because the title was the same as a now defunct TV show. The next highest is less than 2500, then 1500, then everything else less than 1000. My pictures are doing really well if they get more than 100 views, most get less than 50.

I'm going great guns on Flickr, but both examples made Explore, which always generates a lot more views.
Not all my images get that reception, of course. The tattooed lady for instance, had only 272 views so far. Still a lot more, than the 7 here.

For some reason, people have started to view older posts as well. Sometimes in quite surprising numbers.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »
Yes it's pleasing to have your picture looked at by large numbers of people, but I get great pleasure from comments made by photographers that I admire (few and far between, both comments and photographers! ;) )

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 09:10:57 AM »
I tend to agree with Alan.

My highest # explore has 319 views, that was on page 2, the next one had 226 views. So Re, do you just spend all day logged in as 'guest' and keep on viewing your own pictures, or do you tag them all 'Lady Gaga' and 'David Beckham naked'?  :2funny:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline jinky

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »
I find flickr so inaccessible now I rarely go / post to it so I don`t even look at my own pictures on there!

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 136/1 Oldboy Last post August 08, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 230/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 249/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636545/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 207/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 242/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM