• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 282
  • Total: 282
bhphotovideo
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT-WATER DROP-Weekly Comp 14-20 Oct 2013

Started by Hinfrance, October 14, 2013, 08:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

CHAT thread for the WATER DROP weekly competition, from 14 October - 20 October 2013

ENTRIES THREAD can be found HERE

Anything with a watery droppy theme, from raindrops on kittens to water drop setups, although I would especially like to see efforts at the latter which I have never managed to get quite right but which are, nevertheless a lot of (soggy) fun to try.

HERE is how the auld enemy shows it can be done, and HERE is a YouTube video on the topic. There are loads of other tips and tutorials out there. Don't be afraid to have a go, and really all you need is a bit plastic tube, a pyrex dish (or sink) and some pegs. Oh, and an amazing sense of timing. Off camera flash is useful, but you can jury rig a reflector if you only have on camera flash available.

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 14 October to 23:59pm Sunday 20 October 2013.

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 21 October 2013.
Poll will be up Tuesday 22 October.

Winner to be announced Saturday 26 October

The Rules for the weekly competition are:-

By entering you agree to take responsibility to:
post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
create an entries thread
create a chat thread
create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Water should not be a problem, but the 'set up droppy' bit is not for me. Haven't got the equipment and also lack time and patience at the moment. But I'll get something watery.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

ABERS

Oh if my old grandad was still alive, his dewdrop would have been perfect. Mmmmm :idea:

kerbside

Yep, done this before and it is great fun, the different pics are endless, hope everyone has fun with this. :)

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

DigiDiva

My poor hubby is in despair when I do this.....he has visions of the light I hang my water bag from, coming away from the ceiling..and yes, I know, water and electricity don't mix!!! Love doing this though, so looking forward to it.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

kerbside

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

DigiDiva

Jeff, these are good. I prefer the one with the less busy background, as the busy one takes the eye from the drop

Hinfrance

I'm off the opposite opinion Jeff, I really like the more complex one, the internal reflections in the drop are quite something.

Not sure I should bother, having see what you can do ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

I just can't lay my hands on my retort stands, my wife last saw them when she used them to support her hollyhocks! :o

I've got a tripod somewhere in the loft but what with no off camera flash either it looks like I'm scuppered this week, added to the fact that the old chap two doors up refused to cooperate with the dew drop idea.

Hinfrance

There are plenty of other drop types to choose from Alan.

I think I might do a couple of shots with no remote release, on camera flash and an aluminium foil reflector, just to see if it can be done.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Reinardina

Got soaked to the skin doing my ranger work, so plenty of drops! Too wet to take the camera out though.

I won't do a jumping droplet, but I'll find something. I hope.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

DigiDiva

Quote from: ABERS on October 16, 2013, 09:33:56 AM
I just can't lay my hands on my retort stands, my wife last saw them when she used them to support her hollyhocks! :o

I've got a tripod somewhere in the loft but what with no off camera flash either it looks like I'm scuppered this week, added to the fact that the old chap two doors up refused to cooperate with the dew drop idea.

To me water drop means a drop of water, for example a dew drop, a drop hanging from a tap, a rain drop on a window...the theme didn't specify high speed water drop photography.

Graham

Quote from: ABERS on October 16, 2013, 09:33:56 AM

Can't you use the one the nurse uses for you medication?  :2funny:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

oggalily

Does it have to be water, Howard?  I tried one with milk a few years ago, and would be interested in trying something with paint after watching this cool video.  In it two guys pour paint on an old speaker and turn it up to full volume while recording in super slo mo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WKU7gG_ApU

oggalily

Incidentally, here are my previous efforts.  Not quite up to kerbside standard but I may have a go this week.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=9835814@N02&q=droplet

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.