FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...

Author Topic: Are Titles Important?  (Read 6089 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Are Titles Important?
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:06:20 AM »
Recently someone mentioned that giving an apposite title to a picture enhanced not the image itself, but the overall 'feel' when the image was viewed.

I think it does.

I well remember attending the funeral of an old camera club member of many years standing, and at the wake his photographic achievements were a topic of discussion. The whole atmosphere lightened when some wag said, "Let's be frank, Old Jim's was a crap photographer, but you couldn't fault his titles!".

So when I'm struggling for a title, old Jim springs to mind!

Now how about finding a title for this, please.

Here's a thread that will let your creativity come to the fore. Post an image in this thread and ask for a title to be suggested.

It's not a critique thread just a straightforward suggestion thread, and of course you can post those pictures that you wonder why you took or the most outlandish ones you have been too shy to show.

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: Are Titles Important?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:58:34 AM »
I think titles are very important and they can add to the image.

Sadly I'm not very good at finding apt titles. I would probably simply call this 'Little Ships' or something similar.

I can't see the thread by the way.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »
Hi Alan,

You are right, titles are most important, and to me they form part of (or often describe) the photographer or artist's journey.  ;)

Bernard Mendoza once said of me, that I told a good story; and you certainly appear to be upon (or extending) a colourful journey with this very creative shot.

How about  "AHOY"

Nice work by the way :tup: It would make a delightful Greeting card  :tup: :tup:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:08:20 PM by Beaux Reflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline ABERS

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »
This is it.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 10:44:16 AM »
This is it.

Sorry Not quite with it at the moment. Daughter is home for a few days, and wants to do things! So everything, internet-wise is done in a hurry.

I'm off now.

Offline jinky

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
I agree - titles can add a lot. I remember seeing an exhibition by Andy Summers (The Police). He wrote in his intro that if you had to explain your picture you had failed - but still used titles and had some odd ones.. That said he then went on to describe what one of his more obscure pictures was about - and failed!
As for yours Alan how about "Spliffs and Skiffs".  ;)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »

I was thinking "Skiffs after Spliffs" but decided that was so embarrassingly bad I wouldn't mention it!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »
They remind me of smiling mouths.
"Grotesque Grins"?

Offline jinky

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 01:14:28 AM »

I was thinking "Skiffs after Spliffs" but decided that was so embarrassingly bad I wouldn't mention it!

Never be embarrassed - if the joke is there just go for it is my motto and I never disappoint, however bad the pun - as you know! ;)

Offline ABERS

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 07:27:44 AM »
Well, where's your picture needing a title? :(

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 08:13:54 AM »
Well, where's your picture needing a title? :(

Shot a great bit of graffitti yesterday. If I have time, I'll upload it.
Daughter is staying with us at the moment, which means, I hardly have time to breathe, let alone edit/upload photos.

Offline Markulous

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »
Beached Boats

I'd agree that titling can be important, depending on context, but I tend to favour the story as more important - either when the image is supporting something newsworthy or as part of a narrative/explanation

Here's an example shot a couple of days ago
The Dancer

OK, it vaguely looks like he could be dancing but in the context of the Husky rescue group, everyone knows this is Saber who's brain damaged resulting in poor co-ordination and when he gets excited he literally dances (in all other respects he's perfectly normal). The explanation becomes more important than the title outside those that know him (albeit the title supports that narrative)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Offline jinky

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 10:30:57 AM »
Took this on a walk in the park. Title?

Might have called the husky one "Straining at the Leash"

Offline Markulous

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 10:35:14 AM »
Imperfect Shoe

Might have called the husky one "Straining at the Leash"

But that tells nothing of the dog and turns it into just another dog shot (of which I've an enormous number already!)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Offline jinky

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 10:55:30 AM »
Yes to you- but to the unknowing observer the Dancer says nothing. It`s one of those egs where inside knowledge and context is everything and for you that is spot on the right title.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 23/0 jinky Last post Today at 10:28:18 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 23/0 jinky Last post Today at 10:26:56 AM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 140/1 jinky Last post Today at 10:16:00 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 592879/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571056/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 391/13 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 177/5 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM