POLL for ELECTRONICSELECTRONICS-ENTRIES-Weekl...Local - Weekly Comp - Ent...Local - Weekly Comp - Cha...POLL for WRAP UP WARMELECTRONICS-CHAT-Weekly C...What annoyed you today?Untimely death of a frien...ENTRIES-WRAP UP WARM-Week...Model release form / publ...CHAT-WRAP UP WARM-Weekly ...POLL - NewTornado: A Rollercoaster ...NEW - Weekly Comp Chat th...NEW - Entry thread weekly...Poll - Weekly Competition...

Author Topic: Catalina Flying Boat  (Read 1591 times)

Offline 2Beers

• CC Regular visitor
Catalina Flying Boat
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:40:56 PM »
Took this today at Cromarty

Catalina 2 by Alex 60d, on Flickr

Offline Oldboy

Re: Catalina Flying Boat
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:44:05 AM »

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 07:51:02 AM »
Wonderful capture!

Coming back from my volunteer ranger job last Wednesday, I discovered I had missed it by an hour or so, when it visited Eastleigh Airport.
I also missed a steam train going through Eastleigh Parkway Station, at more or less the same time.
The things you give up for a volunteer job!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:54:13 AM by Reinardina »

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:01:49 AM »
One of my uncles used to fly a Catalina. He had an easy war, compared to some, mooching about the Indian Ocean. Never got shot at or fired a shot in anger. Unlike my father who flew 48 official missions for bomber command, was blackballed by a jealous OC when recommended for a DFC, and as far as I can make out flew about a dozen off the books missions as well. Still ended up as Wing Commander with military OBE. Or one of my other uncles who was an engineer on minesweepers - he got sunk 3 times.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »
One of my uncles used to fly a Catalina. He had an easy war, compared to some, mooching about the Indian Ocean. Never got shot at or fired a shot in anger. Unlike my father who flew 48 official missions for bomber command, was blackballed by a jealous OC when recommended for a DFC, and as far as I can make out flew about a dozen off the books missions as well. Still ended up as Wing Commander with military OBE. Or one of my other uncles who was an engineer on minesweepers - he got sunk 3 times.

Impressive war record.

Both my parents spent the war in several (separate) Japanese internment camps on Java. Mother only survived by the skin of her teeth, she was so emaciated, she wouldn't have lasted another five days.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:58:15 AM »
We certainly have it easy compared to our recent forebears.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 10:03:28 AM »
We certainly have it easy compared to our recent forebears.

Some don't Howard

Nice shot 2Beers
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:05:47 AM by Beaux Reflets »
:beer: Andy

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline 2Beers

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »
Thanks guys I went Cromarty yesterday afternoon to see this and was amazed at the amount of people and cars that completely swamped the little village but it was well worth seeing.

As to the other comments  my father was an escaped POW and was on the run in france for 2 years he was captured at St Valery with the 51st highlanders( Seaforths) and escaped as they wer being marched to Berlin

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
Oops! Forgot to say 'great shot', so 'great shot'  :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Matthew

• Life is what you make it.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »
Thanks guys I went Cromarty yesterday afternoon to see this and was amazed at the amount of people and cars that completely swamped the little village but it was well worth seeing.

As to the other comments  my father was an escaped POW and was on the run in france for 2 years he was captured at St Valery with the 51st highlanders( Seaforths) and escaped as they wer being marched to Berlin

I passed it all too, but I didn't have time to stop.....that and seeing all the folks with their big zoom lenses, I'd feel a bit embarrassed setting up with my only 55mm..... ;D :-[
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for ELECTRONICS International Weekly Comp Entries 62/0 Hinfrance Last post January 21, 2020, 01:03:09 PM
xx ELECTRONICS-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 12-19/01/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 194/3 Oldboy Last post January 20, 2020, 11:08:34 PM
xx Local - Weekly Comp - Entry Thread International Weekly Comp Entries 30/0 Jediboy Last post January 20, 2020, 06:45:14 PM
xx Local - Weekly Comp - Chat Thread International Weekly Comp Entries 48/0 Jediboy Last post January 20, 2020, 06:43:50 PM
xx POLL for WRAP UP WARM International Weekly Comp Entries 207/2 Jediboy Last post January 20, 2020, 06:36:40 PM
xx ELECTRONICS-CHAT-Weekly Comp 12-19/01/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 178/3 Jediboy Last post January 20, 2020, 06:35:40 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 560652/3878 Oldboy Last post January 15, 2020, 08:31:06 PM
xx Untimely death of a friend. General Discussion 237/3 Oldboy Last post January 15, 2020, 07:37:07 PM