POLL - Out on the StreetOut on the Street - Weekl...Out on the Street - Weekl...WATER - Weekly Comp - CHA...WATER - Weekly Comp - Ent...Deal Alert Thread.CENTRAL COMPOSITION - POL...CENTRAL COMPOSITION - CHA...CENTRAL COMPOSITION - ENT...Competitive PollPOLL - LOCALCOMPETITIVE - ENTRIES 27t...Local - Weekly Comp - Cha...COMPETITIVE - CHAT THREAD...Local - Weekly Comp - Ent...What annoyed you today?

Author Topic: Yet another DCW orphan  (Read 2980 times)

Offline 2Beers

• CC Regular visitor
Yet another DCW orphan
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:17:36 AM »
Well I finally made it here after the closing of the DCW forum but to be honest I was already thinking of leaving so no biggie

Hello everyone
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:21:54 AM by 2Beers »

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
Re: Yet another DCW orphan
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 02:11:54 AM »
Welcome! :beer:

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 05:00:19 AM »
Welcome 2Beers.  :tup:

Online jinky

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 06:48:33 AM »
Welcome to another convert  ;)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 07:21:29 AM »
Welcome from another early riser!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 05:44:06 PM »
Nice to see you 2beers.  :)
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline Geoff

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »
Hi and welcome new here myself after being invited here due to login issues at dcw  :legit:

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 08:04:05 AM »
Welcome to CC :beer:
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Offline spikeyjen

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »
looks like a few of us from DCW have moved over to the other (the dark) side. Looks like fun here

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 11:30:18 AM »
This has been the refuge of choice, for disgruntled DCM/PR/DCW forum members for years.
But they had a choice, and a lot occasionally popped into DCW to see how things were over there, or to see old friends.
Now that possibility has been taken away for all of us.

You'd think a company called Future would know better, than to upset a lot of customers, who not only used the forum, but are often readers of the magazine as well.

Offline Graham

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »
This has been the refuge of choice, for disgruntled DCM/PR/DCW forum members for years.
But they had a choice, and a lot occasionally popped into DCW to see how things were over there, or to see old friends.

You'd think a company called Future would know better, than to upset a lot of customers, who not only used the forum, but are often readers of the magazine as well.

So are we saying that they've shut it down altogether? Iv'e not been there for years, but I do spend quite a bit of time on BikeRadar, which I believe is part of the same group, also TechRadar along with a few other "Radar" sites seem to be thriving! How very odd!  :uglystupid2:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 12:12:40 PM »

So are we saying that they've shut it down altogether? Iv'e not been there for years, but I do spend quite a bit of time on BikeRadar, which I believe is part of the same group, also TechRadar along with a few other "Radar" sites seem to be thriving! How very odd!  :uglystupid2:

The DCW forum is definitely down and out. Forever. It had been hacked, and Future cannot afford to have it properly protected apparently.

Don't know about other Future sites/forums.

Offline 2Beers

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys/gals, it's nice to see so many familiar people have found there way here but to be honest I used to Lurkalot (sorry Mick) on here before DCW shut down.

The problem I found with the DCW forum was that none of the magazine staff could find the time to frequent the forum nor were there any Admins on to do maintenance or give the mods any guidance yet they could find the time for Farcebook and Twatter both of which I detest probably too old to bother trying. :beer:

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 02:49:20 PM »

Yes, they announced it on the site, down for good.   The PhotoRadar concept was not bad, have one website and forums for all of your photo magazines.  It makes sense in that regard.  There were some problems, when launched there was only DC and PhotoPlus (Practical Photoshop and N Photo came later) so there was not as much of a base to work with.  The staff, while initially involved showed that they would rather be writers than community maintainers.   Then as staff left they were never replaced.  They needed a leader to was enthusiastic and joined in on the forums.  They did not have that. 

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »
The below is copied and pasted from the DCW site. It suggests that PC Gamer was attacked but not other forums. This almost a hints at it being a temporary closure, but judging by the way they managed the forum they may have got a bit confused.
Left hand right hand...........

Important security update about Future forums

PC Gamer

Last week on the 19th July 2013 we discovered that PC Gamer's vBulletin-powered forum had been the target of a malicious attack. Immediate action was taken to shut the forum which blocked the attack and we have since been thoroughly investigating the damage done and how this attack took place.

We have no evidence that any of the PC Gamer's users' details were stolen. However we feel it is safest to keep the forum closed until we are satisfied that the security vulnerability in the software is fixed. Information on the progress of this will be communicated via the PCGamer site.

Other Future Forums

If you are seeing this message it is because this vBulletin forum has been closed as a precautionary measure. We have no evidence this forum has been compromised, however we are investigating each forum in our network individually to be sure this is the case.

The website teams will be in touch with more information on the progress of this as soon as it becomes available.

We are truly sorry for any inconvenience caused, we take our user's security very seriously and we appreciate your patience.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:02:24 PM by Jediboy »
May the Force be with you.

Chris

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Out on the Street International Weekly Comp Entries 98/2 Jediboy Last post Today at 10:52:16 AM
xx Out on the Street - Weekly Comp Chat thread International Weekly Comp Entries 280/6 jinky Last post February 18, 2020, 05:51:06 AM
xx Out on the Street - Weekly Comp Entry thread International Weekly Comp Entries 226/5 Oldboy Last post February 17, 2020, 09:59:34 PM
xx WATER - Weekly Comp - CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 67/1 Oldboy Last post February 16, 2020, 08:35:23 PM
xx WATER - Weekly Comp - Entry Thread International Weekly Comp Entries 57/0 Jediboy Last post February 16, 2020, 06:17:23 PM
xx Deal Alert Thread. Shops directory 22521/39 Mick Last post February 15, 2020, 12:47:58 PM
xx CENTRAL COMPOSITION - POLL International Weekly Comp Entries 175/2 Jediboy Last post February 14, 2020, 12:21:18 PM
xx CENTRAL COMPOSITION - CHAT Thread 3rd - 9th Feb 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 248/3 oggalily Last post February 12, 2020, 03:22:54 AM