STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollRFELCTIONS - Chat Thread...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice house

Author Topic: Old Photo  (Read 1942 times)

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
Old Photo
« on: April 24, 2013, 08:24:35 AM »
I’ve got hold of a number of old photos of my family and I would like to scan them and then restore them to a better quality, such as removing the fold marks.

Here is an example of my Great Great Great Grandpa.

Any tips or advice on what I should/could do?

Many thanks.

Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
Re: Old Photo
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:43:04 AM »
That one would certainly scan. Personally I'd scan it at 600dpi in monochrome (and probably add sepia again right before printing it). You need to get it as flat on the scanner bed as possible - maybe add weight such as a pile of books to the scanner lid. Otherwise the crease/tear will leave a dark shadow which can be quite difficult to remove. (I think the cause of the centre of your example being lighter than the left and right sides is probably that it wasn't flat enough.) You might try adjusting your scanner software's histogram to slightly increase the contrast at that stage rather than later in the editing. That tear looks to me to be fairly easy to remove by careful use of a clone tool, and the smaller scratches and stain should be simple too.

I enjoy restoring old photos. I'm sure you will too.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Graham

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »
  Hi Mike.
                  Hope you don't mind, I just had a quick go, would you like me to post it?
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 01:13:56 PM »
Scan it as is, as flat as possible as Simon says. 600dpi should definitely be enough. Use a gradient map or some other way of converting the display of the image to black and white - but DO NOT change the colour mode if you want to retint it later. With monochrome pictures the levels control is your best friend - either use the picker or muck about with the sliders - start with the whites and move towards the middle until you have whites where you want them, then the blacks in the same way, finally the midtones as suits.

Getting rid of dust, scratches and folds is rather more editor dependent - harder in Photoplus than any of the Photoshop family, so I'll leave that one to the online tutorials.

Good luck with it.

Graham - I'd like to see your effort ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Graham

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
  Generally I find the bigger the original the better, almost as important as the condition.
  You will find that the crease/scratch ALWAYS goes through the subject (It's the law.) Then it's down to the Clone tool, make a layer to work on so you can keep reffering back to how you are doing.
  The Spot Healing brush is also very effective in dealing with spots and blemishes and don't forget the Content Aware Fill tool if you have it.
  Repaired work will always benefit from a bit of levels adjustment or an "S" curve to boost the contrast, and maybe a bit of sharpening to give it a bit of zing.

I stick my attempt up as soon as Mike OK's it.  :tup:

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Colin

• My Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 07:35:18 AM »
I have had a quick go too if Mike wants to have a look.

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 08:03:10 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, work life balance not as good as it should be!!!!!!

Thank you for the advice, I will give it a go.

Yes, please post I'd be really interested to see what can be done.
Mike

Offline Colin

• My Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »
Mike

This was just a very quick less than 5 minute edit on your very small original, with a full sized one and more time it would be that much better.

Offline Graham

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 10:34:10 AM »
  Here's my go.

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 12:54:42 PM »
Wow, Colin / Graham thanks.  They both look really good, I've got to find time to have a go myself but that 'Work Life Balance' thing is tipping too far in the wrong direction at the moment  >:(
Mike

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 02:21:43 PM »
Sorry, late to the party - here's my 5 minute stab:

I added the toning back to keep the vibe :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline nickt

• nick.thompson photography
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 04:31:36 PM »
Not been on here for a while as I've been a bit busy. Couldn't resisit having a go at this if that's o.k.
Nick

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 04:34:13 PM »
Nice clean up jobs here guys. Would be nice for a noob like me to have some descriptions of how you got your individual results.  :tup:
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Offline Colin

• My Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
My Workflow was

Open in CS6 Camera Raw
Adjust white balance, temperature and tint
Tweak Exposure, contrast, whites and blacks
Increase the Clarity quite a lot then a bit of vibrance and saturation
Open Image
Healing brush over the worst of the crease
Then clone stamp at 50% opacity to tidy up
Curves adjustment
Levels adjustment
Little sharpening and that was it

Offline jinky

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 05:19:28 PM »
Very late to the party I was lucky enough to dig out the original image  which in fact features your great, great , great grandpa in his true colours. He was a secret Newcastle Utd supporter engaged in building the first St James` Park as an ardent fan. Sorry if this disappoints you.

PS No offence to your grt, grt, grt grandad. I started having a go and then got bored.... ;)

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 100/2 Oldboy Last post Today at 05:58:50 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 188/4 anglefire Last post Today at 04:51:11 PM
xx RFELCTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 37/2 Jediboy Last post Today at 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 8/0 Jediboy Last post Today at 03:20:15 PM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 60/1 jinky Last post Today at 07:40:00 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 233/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 253/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636695/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM