POLL - Out on the StreetOut on the Street - Weekl...Out on the Street - Weekl...WATER - Weekly Comp - CHA...WATER - Weekly Comp - Ent...Deal Alert Thread.CENTRAL COMPOSITION - POL...CENTRAL COMPOSITION - CHA...CENTRAL COMPOSITION - ENT...Competitive PollPOLL - LOCALCOMPETITIVE - ENTRIES 27t...Local - Weekly Comp - Cha...COMPETITIVE - CHAT THREAD...Local - Weekly Comp - Ent...What annoyed you today?

Author Topic: Infra red photography  (Read 3745 times)

Offline jinky

Infra red photography
« on: April 07, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »
As I said in agreeing with H my mojo has gone recently in doing shots for myself. In a Facebook selling group someone asked about buying a compact converted to infra red work and I remembered my unused Sony F717 bridge camera. Pretty standard fare some 12 years old , 5mp images with a twisting lens to shoot over heads that looked really odd in it`s time. Gave me good service as my first digital camera but best feature is it`s night shooting / framing mode. Left to itself you can shoot in the dark and get those trademark green night vision shots hand held. Slap on an infra red filter and around ND 12 of other stuff to limit the light coming in and you get real infra red results. Loads of ways to process them and I am having fun playing with Nik effects colour filters after doing the basic editing. Not the right time yet - need lots more greenery around and bright sunlight and blue skies but thinking I`ll be doing some more and may even do some wedding shots with it at first suitable wedding for something different.

Just looking and cannot believe they were hand held at 1/40th second with all that darkened glass on the lens. Tripod with me next time for best results - just playing today

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Re: Infra red photography
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:05:31 AM »
Nice shots Jinky. I'm a great fan of I/R from way back in my film days when you never really knew what you had got until you developed the film and no matter how hard you tried to replicate the procedure it was always slightly different every time.

I have a Sony A100, my first DSLR, converted to I/R which makes taking shots in the medium almost a piece of cake. Since I/R depends on sunshine, the anlge of the sun and the amount of greenery that is present, I've found it vital that the WB setting is compliant with the prevailing conditions. This I do on the A100 by setting it to manual and shooting a patch of sunlit grass.

I/R has that sometimes eery look  and can transform any mundane scene into something that becomes quite acceptable as an image. The beauty of digital I/R is that you can manipulate the image even further to your requirements. Like any new 'gadget or gizmo' it becomes quite addictive in the early stages and ypu find yourself shooting nothing but I/R for a few weeks!

NORFOLK COAST by abers, on Flickr

CHINESE-BRIDGE by abers, on Flickr

Untitled by abers, on Flickr

Not too sure of the effects on portraits, I haven't really tried it. Something for the future perhaps :-\

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 10:19:56 AM »
Don't think I can do it with my Sony bridge. Do like the results though. They could be illustrations for a fairy tale book.
Alan's for the more macabre stories, Jinky's for the 'sweeter' ones.
Hope I haven't insulted you now!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Markulous

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 08:36:25 AM »
Ah, IR! Do enjoy it and one of the fringe benefits of the Sigma SD10 is that removal of the dustscreen in front of the sensor (1 x small screw) turns the camera into IR sensitive, so IR+visible. Slap on an R72 filter and that stops the visible - but still allows AF

First shot's IR + visible, second's just IR. I really should get out more with the camera - usual excuses of lack of time, etc!  ::)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »
I love the effect that IR gives. It's one of things I aim to have ago at soon. Need to do some reading up on it.
Great photos above. Good work.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline Graham

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 03:43:32 PM »
Apparently the sensor in my Fuji is quite good for IR, I'll have to try.  :)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Geoff

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 09:57:16 PM »
hi all I would love to get in to ir but not really sure where to start I have not long replaced my canon 350d
with an 1100d there is nothing wrong with the 350d I changed it because when I lost my left hand I needed
a camera with all the controls on the right hand side to make it more controlable, I still use the 350 but was thinking what it would cost to convert it to ir does anyone no if it would be possiable.

Geoff

Offline hssutton

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 10:58:30 AM »
hi all I would love to get in to ir but not really sure where to start I have not long replaced my canon 350d
with an 1100d there is nothing wrong with the 350d I changed it because when I lost my left hand I needed
a camera with all the controls on the right hand side to make it more controlable, I still use the 350 but was thinking what it would cost to convert it to ir does anyone no if it would be possiable.

Geoff

I had my Canon 10D converted by Advance Camera Services Norfolk. http://www.advancedcameraservices.co.uk/html/ir.html

Was extremely pleased with their service.

Cuba-Pano-IR-small by hssutton1, on Flickr

Harry
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:05:35 AM by hssutton »

Offline Jediboy

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 08:14:37 PM »
I love IR and thats a great example there Harry.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Offline Geoff

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 08:47:08 PM »
Thanks for the link I will get in touch with them for a quote in saying that I'm glad I still
have my 350 as the 1100 has developed a problem and has gone back to canon.
the above pic is pretty amazing.  good stuff   

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 10:43:26 PM »
Thanks for the link I will get in touch with them for a quote in saying that I'm glad I still
have my 350 as the 1100 has developed a problem and has gone back to canon.
the above pic is pretty amazing.  good stuff

Hope it's not like my D3 which cost £589 to repair!  :'(

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 07:27:22 AM »
Whilst the majority of I/R are quite crisp and clear in their presentation, which to some extent gives them their interest and impact, I've found that by tweeking the 'Clarity' button in Lightroom they can be given an added dimension of 'mystery'.

May not be to everyone's taste but another slant on the presentation.

SOFTSCAPE by abers, on Flickr

Untitled by abers, on Flickr

ENCHANTED-FOREST by abers, on Flickr

Esher Trees by abers, on Flickr

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 07:46:09 AM »
Those are certainly to my taste! Especially the first shot.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »
Inspiring work Alan, thank you for sharing.  :tup:
:beer: Andy

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline spinner

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »
My first DSLR was a used KM 5D. When I bought my Nikon I sent it off to some %*^&(** in the U.S. to be converted. Along with a cheque for $350. Never saw the camera again. The ()&(&(*(_ was quite chatty email wise until he had my money and never returned an email after that. Tried to get his local Better Business Bureau on him. He ignored them as well. If I ever visit Utah I might just look him up. Thanks to Street View I know what his place looks like.  >:(
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Out on the Street International Weekly Comp Entries 102/2 Jediboy Last post Today at 10:52:16 AM
xx Out on the Street - Weekly Comp Chat thread International Weekly Comp Entries 281/6 jinky Last post February 18, 2020, 05:51:06 AM
xx Out on the Street - Weekly Comp Entry thread International Weekly Comp Entries 226/5 Oldboy Last post February 17, 2020, 09:59:34 PM
xx WATER - Weekly Comp - CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 67/1 Oldboy Last post February 16, 2020, 08:35:23 PM
xx WATER - Weekly Comp - Entry Thread International Weekly Comp Entries 57/0 Jediboy Last post February 16, 2020, 06:17:23 PM
xx Deal Alert Thread. Shops directory 22535/39 Mick Last post February 15, 2020, 12:47:58 PM
xx CENTRAL COMPOSITION - POLL International Weekly Comp Entries 175/2 Jediboy Last post February 14, 2020, 12:21:18 PM
xx CENTRAL COMPOSITION - CHAT Thread 3rd - 9th Feb 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 248/3 oggalily Last post February 12, 2020, 03:22:54 AM