When I did the poll yesterday I stuck it on the entries thread - a bit lazy really - Mick is right, it is better to do it as a new thread entirely.
What I try to do is:
1. Go to forum/international weekly comp entries and click 'new poll' (on the right hand side)
2. Enter the title and then the question 'please vote for your favourite . . '
3. Now open another browser window and tile them side by side, so you can see both
4. In the new window open weekend competition album
5. Click on the image that you are adding to the poll and select and copy the bottom BB code (BB Code full size)
5a. If the image is not in the weekly competition album, go the site home page and click on the image in the gallery previews below the Image Of The Week to see the BB code
6. Type in the image title followed by (br), in square not curved brackets; then paste the BB code followed by two more (br)s (square brackets again - this just puts a couple of blank lines in so the pictures are not all stacked up on top of each other)
7. Repeat 5. and 6. until you have all the images for the poll listed
8. Mark 'run the poll for' as 4 days
9. Click the radar button to show results after someone has voted
10. Repeat the poll question 'please vote for your favourite . . ' in the thread text box
11. Click 'post' and hope for the best
I think that's about it, although I can't guarantee I haven't completely forgotten something