Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: IOTW  (Read 1131 times)

skellum

IOTW
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:05:17 PM »
Had a look through a few recent gallery pages and could not find one which would or could be a personal choice for IOTW. No disrespect to any of the pictures there but most were competition entries, Car Crashes, or other things that I have no interest in so I started looking deeper in the Members Galleries. I do take picking the picture for IOTW seriously as it is to be the flagship picture of the site for the next week and so I came up with Karen's picture of The Forth Bridge.

I told Andy of my choice only to be told that because of new rules I had to choose from recent pictures.  A new rule / regulation that I had not heard about. I expect that's because I am not on the site as often these days so I missed knowing about it.

I always thought of Camera Craniums as a friendly site with a laid back attitude but now it seems strict rules and regulations are creeping in. So apologies to Karen, My choice of your picture cannot be IOTW  :'(

I was told that as I am still a Moderator on the site I could put Karen's picture on there myself, But that would mean I would be breaking this new rule.    :(    What do you all think ? 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:07:59 PM by Dave »

Offline Oldboy

Re: IOTW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 09:16:04 PM »
The reason this was introduced was because some people were picking images from members who no longer visited the site. Also, as it is image of the week, it was felt to be better to pick one uploaded that week rather, than one loaded months or years ago. It isn't set in stone and at the end of the day it's your choice, so pick Karen's picture if you wish.  :tup:

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 10:38:11 PM »

I told Andy of my choice only to be told that because of new rules I had to choose from recent pictures.  A new rule / regulation that I had not heard about. I expect that's because I am not on the site as often these days so I missed knowing about it.

I always thought of Camera Craniums as a friendly site with a laid back attitude but now it seems strict rules and regulations are creeping in. So apologies to Karen, My choice of your picture cannot be IOTW  :'(

I was told that as I am still a Moderator on the site I could put Karen's picture on there myself, But that would mean I would be breaking this new rule.    :(    What do you all think ?

Dave, can I just point out, that Andy, has been helping me out, and posting the IOTW for me, so was only doing what was asked of him as a team member, it's not his fault.  This is something we thrashed out in in the team board. and we posted a sticky in the IOTW board, here http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=3165.0

That said, like oldboy pointed out, nothing is set in stone around here, and as for being strict, I can wholeheartedly deny that. The only things I won't permit are spam post and nudity, as anyone of any age can view the site.

The whole idea for selecting images from the past four weeks, is so the person who's image chosen is likely to be a active member, and therefore stands a chance of being around to nominate the next winner.  It's frustrating to have to search around for the next winner ourselves at short notice.  Hence the new guideline was posted.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:11:44 PM »
In that, following the relaunch other members have selected or re selected in knowledge of the IOTW guidelines, I feel it would be unfair to change things unless the guidelines are going to be rewritten.

Other than that: In my humble opinion choosing from the last 4 weeks (including images that have been in the weekly comp) will encourage more uploads and hopefully new members; if they feel (whatever their style happens to be) that they have a good chance of achieving IOTW.

Yes it is and should be a Flagship slot, and if the site's aim is to grow; Then why not encourage all photographers at whatever their level in a positive and helpful way – Again just my opinion, reading the commenting on IOTW is very useful to learning more upon the Art of Photography and the constant learning curve it provides.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

skellum

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 07:14:06 PM »
So Andy wants to stick to the rules, Oldboy says its my choice and Mick tell me in a message its Ok to use Karens picture..

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 08:23:59 PM »
So Andy wants to stick to the rules, Oldboy says its my choice and Mick tell me in a message its Ok to use Karens picture..

Dave, what I actually said was,

"As for IOTW, I think in this particular case, as Karen is around quite a it should be safe to use that image." 

that was meant in addition to the IOTW guidelines we spoke about.  I wasn't actually saying it was ok to use it, that's why I mentioned this needs thrashing out in the admin board.  I added a post in there regarding this, and was hoping we could work it out there, rather than in public view.  I think the team as whole need to voice their opinion on this so we can resolve the matter.  ;)

My Gallery

Offline Karen

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 01:02:38 AM »
Hi, firstly thank you for wanting to pick my shot as IOTW. Personally I think having been in the position of having to choose that it is sometimes difficult to choose from that weeks uploads and if one had to it would be a case of just picking anything for the sake of it not for its merit in your opinion. Four weeks back is not so bad as I understand the reasoning that to choose from all the galleries may mean the person is no longer here. Its a difficult one so I think there needs to be some guidelines.

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
Thanks Karen, I'm glad you understand the reasoning behind the four week time limit.  We have been caught out so many times, and had to chase the winner for a nomination, then when we don't get a response we have to quickly trawl through the gallery to find a suitable pic at last minute.  This is why it was introduced.

You'll probably notice that Dave has not taken this too well, and for some reason deleted his account here.

Its a difficult one so I think there needs to be some guidelines.

For anyone who hasn't seen the guidelines, posted on December 30, 2012, please view them here http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=3165.0

My Gallery

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 135/1 Oldboy Last post August 08, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 230/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 249/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636542/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 207/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 242/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM