• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 49
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 50
  • Total: 50
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Help from French speakers needed. Andy? Howard?

Started by Reinardina, January 14, 2013, 03:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

Friend of mine received the following mail via his Flickr account:

Ayant remarqué votre travail, nous nous permettons de vous contacter afin de vous informer du concours organisé par le festival MyProvence dans le cadre de Marseille-Provence 2013, capitale européenne de la Culture, en partenariat avec Le Monde Magazine, La Provence.com, Fubiz et Etapes.

Thème du concours: Bain de foule
Deadline inscription: 10 février 2013
Prix: 1000 € + résidence artistique de 3 mois en région PACA.

Au plaisir de voir vos créations sur notre site !

Cordialement,

My French is just about good enough to realise he is invited to join this competition.
Can anyone shed any further light? And is the prize indeed a three months stay in an 'artistic residence'?

And is 'Bain de Foule' just a 'walkabout' or street shot?

It came as a bolt out of the blue, don't think he has any French contacts, and his French is worse than mine, or even non existent.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

donoreo

Google translate:

Having seen your work, we would contact you to inform you of the contest organized by the festival MyProvence through Marseille-Provence 2013, European Capital of Culture, in partnership with Le Monde Magazine, Provence.com, Fubiz and steps.

Contest Theme: Walkabout
  Registration Deadline: February 10, 2013
  Price: 1000 € + 3 months artistic residency in the PACA region.

Looking forward to seeing your creations on our site!

cordially

Beaux Reflets

Cannot class myself as a French speaker  :-[ but the Google looks about right to me  ;)  Bain de Foule / Bath of Crowd - No doubt a French phrase for a crowded group or area - So a 'street shot' with people rather than a person I guess  :-\
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

My completely bilingual wife and daughter say that it means to shake hands with lots of people, usually involving a politician. But it could also apply to a performer touching hands with fans, for example. Looks like it might even cover crowd surfing. Go to fubiz.net and search bain de foule to see some examples.

So at a stretch you could say walkabout, but not in the Australian sense of the word.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Hinfrance on January 14, 2013, 05:05:38 PM
My completely bilingual wife and daughter say that it means to shake hands with lots of people, usually involving a politician. But it could also apply to a performer touching hands with fans, for example. Looks like it might even cover crowd surfing. Go to fubiz.net and search bain de foule to see some examples.

So at a stretch you could say walkabout, but not in the Australian sense of the word.

I know my French is poor Howard, as I always  :-[ my daughter who is away studying 4 languages at a University - so thanks for the correction  :tup:

(Looking at the images that came up in a couple of shots searching fubiz - An Audience at a Event may suit the general bill - but there must be more info on the requesting website )

Perhaps it is phrased that way specifically on account of Privacy Laws over here
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

I did use the Google translation to check that I had got it more or less right, the 'bain de foule' baffled me though. As did the fact someone sent it to him literally out of the blue. He must have a more international presence than he thought.
First thought was it was a con, but it appears to be genuine.
Has anyone else been contacted?

Has it been publicised in France at all?

I'll have a look at the fubiz thingy now.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.