POLL - Song Title SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22...SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-2...HeronSong Title CHAT thread 1s...Song Title ENTRY thread 1...Poll - Days out - 18th-25...Windows 10 19H1 is headin...POLL - SchoolSchool - Weekly Comp Entr...SCHOOL - Weekly comp Chat...Entry Thread - Days out -...POLL - DoorwaysChat Thread - Days out - ...1957 Ferrari California 2...Doorways - Entry Thread w...

Author Topic: Making money from your pictures  (Read 2103 times)

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
Making money from your pictures
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:34:13 AM »
Morning All,

I was thinking the other day if it was poosible to make money by taking pictures as an amateur and wondered what your thoughts were.

I know a few people that have started to make a bit of money by focussing on particular areas such as portaits and local sports and then selling the pictures via their website.

Is it possible to sell pictures that havn't been comissioned or taken for a particular event?

The route I was thinking was framed prints and canvases of local natural beauty etc. I'm not suggesting my photos are anywhere close to doing this but maybe in the future if I get better.

Do you think there is a market for this kind of thing?

Cheers

Steve

skellum

Re: Making money from your pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 11:23:45 AM »
I have recently started to make money from taking pictures of local interest and selling them on local craft markets and now have them on general sale in a gallery in Preston, The Local Tourist Information Office and a stately home called Samlesbury Hall. I print them myself up to A3 then mount & frame them ( I get my frames & mounts from a wholesaler / manufacturer in Manchester )
I dont know which area you live in but I am sure there must be a local gallery that may be interested in your pictures. One downside to galleries is they usually charge around 30% commision so you will need to price accordingly. I found that a Framed print A3 ( 20" x 16" ) can command a greater profit than just a collection of mounted prints for people to look through..........Dave.... :legit:

Just found from your profile that your in Stockport so you could use the same supplier as me ( JD Pictures in Cheetham Hill ) I can PM you the number & address. Also if you look on my website  www.skellum-photo.com  on the second page there is a link to the PAD gallery in Preston from which you should be able to find information on North West Art Associations etc or ring and ask for advise from them on your area.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 12:40:31 PM by skellum ( Dave ) »

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 12:17:52 PM »
Dave
that link to your web site is not working for me???

EDIT = just noticed you have used a n instead of a m
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 12:46:32 PM by Alfonso_Frisk »
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

skellum

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 12:41:55 PM »
Sorted now thanks Alf, I'm rushing of to football now............ :legit:

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 05:49:46 PM »
Anyone sold any pics through one of these free Photobox Pro galleries?  http://www.photoboxgallery.com/  ???
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:57:51 PM by admin »
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Alfonso_Frisk

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007/
    • My Shipping images
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 05:52:11 PM »
I sold a couple through them last year.
30p each so not retiring yet
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 06:00:55 PM »
 :D  Alf, that's 60p more than I've ever made m8.  :D
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 09:07:35 AM »
Cheers Dave. It was looking at your website the other day that got me thinking about it and if there was an opportunity out there.

If you could PM me the details for the wholesaler that would be great.

I presume you print and frame your prints yourself? I've got an A4 printer at the moment and have been looking around at A3 printers but always get cautious due to the reviews regarding the amount of ink (and the cost involved) they use.

Cheers

Steve

skellum

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 11:48:40 AM »
Both Jim the train and I have Epson R1800 ( A3+ ) printers. I use Phoenix compatable inks which are very good and much cheaper to buy, I used them for all the prints I submitted to the RPS and they past the panels inspection.
I once tried another cheaper alternative but they really were a waste of time and money so I now stick to Phoenix but I may use Epson inks again when I win the lottery............Dave :legit:

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 11:59:06 AM »
Cheers Dave, your input has been great and very much appreciated.

It was quite bizzarre this morning watching The Championship after seeing your shot of Callun Davidson celebrating his goal. I looked to see if I could see you by the touchline but didn't notice you.

Out of interest - did you ever see Matty Mainwaring play for PNE? He came to us (Stockport County) lasty summer on a free from your reserves and he's looking a great talent for the future.

Cheers

Steve

skellum

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 12:28:05 PM »
Can't remember the player you mentioned but I may cover a Stockport County game before the end of the season so I will keep a look out.
There is a video of me being taken out by a Barnsley defender on my site ( 3rd page ) I think, which all who know me found very funny, they laughed first then asked if I was alright ???

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »
Making money from photography

1.   Go to local restaurant or hotel in the evening.
2.   Look for older men with young women.
3.   Take photograph.
4.   Approach couple and ask them to sign model release forms, as you wish to        use the photos on the web or exhibit in a local gallery.
5.   Wait for them to make you a offer for the memory card.

Guaranteed to generated loads of cash!!!!  :2funny:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:09:20 PM by Oldboy »

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 11:21:21 PM »
nice one oldboy, were there's a will an' all that ;D
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Offline northbeach

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 02:29:45 PM »
 ;D    Very funny.   You could say you're doing a series for the local paper on "May/December Romance". 
"In a hundred years, all new people."  My Gallery

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Song Title International Weekly Comp Entries 305/5 Jediboy Last post September 16, 2019, 10:49:12 AM
xx SMALL - CHAT THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 43/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 10:00:15 AM
xx SMALL - ENTRY THREAD 16-22nd September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 66/0 jinky Last post September 16, 2019, 09:59:37 AM
xx Heron Wildlife Photography 133/4 anglefire Last post September 16, 2019, 07:17:49 AM
xx Song Title CHAT thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 896/36 jinky Last post September 13, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
xx Song Title ENTRY thread 1st-8th September `19 International Weekly Comp Entries 185/4 Jediboy Last post September 09, 2019, 03:08:08 PM
xx Poll - Days out - 18th-25th August 2019 International Weekly Comp Entries 348/7 Hinfrance Last post September 08, 2019, 07:17:09 AM
xx Windows 10 19H1 is heading your way. PC computer questions, tips and how to's 2879/35 Mick Last post September 07, 2019, 02:45:08 PM