Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Golden Oldies  (Read 7632 times)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
Golden Oldies
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »
This is the thread where you can post images you come across in the CC Gallery, that you consider are of merit.

Please enter the image with a few words upon why you like it enough to post it in this thread.

When fetching the link to paste a photograph in the thread - If you copy / paste the contents of the 'BBCode normal size: box,' from the file information page in the Users Gallery - By clicking on the image in this thread, subsequent viewers may then add their thoughts where indicated or Star Rate the image if they so wish.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:24:59 PM by Beaux Reflets »

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: Golden Oldies
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 10:53:44 PM »
Didn't expect my suggestion to be acted on this quickly.
And even though it's a bit late, I did have a browse and I'll open the new thread.
It was a deliberate, but random search this time; in the past I have come across wonderful pictures purely by accident. Now I know what to do with them.

I settled on Sandy's shot the 'Tetons, ' which has a dreamlike quality, while it is obvious, that in those rough, wide, open spaces life must be hard.
Maybe I should just say, it's beautiful and I love it!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:25:51 PM by Beaux Reflets »

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 09:50:52 AM »
It was an excellent idea Reinardina. There are lots of images hidden away that deserve another viewing so to speak.

I particularly like the eye contact captured in this shot

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:26:13 PM by Beaux Reflets »

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 09:18:56 AM »
Here's another shot that I like. Super lighting and a great angle of shot.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:26:38 PM by Beaux Reflets »

Offline Sarasocke

• my flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 12:09:33 PM »
This is so classic Abers and obviously very popular. It's also so very excellent :) There's so much feeling and atmosphere in this image. Just brilliant IMO.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:26:59 PM by Beaux Reflets »
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 01:39:23 PM »
This is so classic Abers and obviously very popular. It's also so very excellent :) There's so much feeling and atmosphere in this image. Just brilliant IMO.

A Classic shot indeed and a brilliant title too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:27:25 PM by Beaux Reflets »

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Thought this one was quite surreal.

Would work as an entry to this weeks comp!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:37:43 PM by Beaux Reflets »
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Offline Matthew

• Life is what you make it.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 03:43:54 PM »

Loved this shot by Crafty Snapper "Up and Away" when I first saw it back in March, still do to this day. I love photos of Aircraft, especially if they are done in a way that makes them stand out from the norm. This shot also quite rightly won IOTW. The mono conversion makes the metal skin of the airframe pop out at you and the motion of the propellers give it that something extra. Superb shot.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:37:27 PM by Beaux Reflets »
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 06:37:18 AM »
And here is another wonderful shot of an aircraft.

It actually looks like the same birdie, shot from a very similar angle and the timing in catching the propellers -  :o
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:37:10 PM by Beaux Reflets »

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 08:16:59 AM »
With all the talk of dormant threads, and no one really having revived one yet, I thought I'd delve through some really old stuff on the site. Way before I joined, but with lots of familiar names. Old friends and acquaintances, some of whom I still 'see' regularly here or elsewhere.
There was a warning though:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

But no, no new topic just yet. Let's see if some of the old ones can be resuscitated.

With the headline news, that the old favourite 'Dad's Army' is going to be turned into a film, I was happy to find some of the real Golden Oldies. "Jones the Butcher" with his trendy upside down glasses. A celebrity shot that predates the present 'Chelebriddie Cult' by several years.

I wonder if Mick (Lurkalot), triggered off this whole obsession with famous names? (At least these were famous for a reason, unlike a lot of present celebs.)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:36:51 PM by Beaux Reflets »

Offline Andrew

• Andrew
  • Starting from the beginning again...
    • ndrewbrown
    • Andrew Brown's Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 10:35:59 AM »
Need to have a look, because there are plenty of golden oldies on this site that deserve a refresh...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:36:20 PM by Beaux Reflets »
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 01:52:22 PM »
Need to have a look, because there are plenty of golden oldies on this site that deserve a refresh...

Yes, give it a go.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:36:02 PM by Beaux Reflets »

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 08:42:42 AM »

I remember this from another forum and its composition and 'frozen' activity keeps drawing your eye around the picture. The two figures going hurriedly in opposite directions intent on getting out of the rain asap and that splash of colour just adds something. There are several geometric connections going on as well. The rectangles of the building and bins, but the triangulation of the tree, the no-waiting sign ad the top of the lampost gets stronger the more you look.

There are many images that are posted that are offered as 'street photography' and are really nothing more than photographs taken in the street. This goes the extra distance and does what street photography should do, engages you, makes you look and think about what's going on. Super picture.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:35:43 PM by Beaux Reflets »

Offline jinky

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 09:02:04 AM »

I remember this from another forum and its composition and 'frozen' activity keeps drawing your eye around the picture. The two figures going hurriedly in opposite directions intent on getting out of the rain asap and that splash of colour just adds something. There are several geometric connections going on as well. The rectangles of the building and bins, but the triangulation of the tree, the no-waiting sign ad the top of the lampost gets stronger the more you look.

There are many images that are posted that are offered as 'street photography' and are really nothing more than photographs taken in the street. This goes the extra distance and does what street photography should do, engages you, makes you look and think about what's going on. Super picture.

Shows we all see things differently. It doesn`t make me question what`s there at all and to me does look like a "photograph taken in the street". Most makes me think - is it quite level. I do like the rectangle theme going on but  want a little more space on the right to balance and just don`t engage. Not seen this thread before. Really good idea to pull out old images and share.  I`m left wondering whose images some of them are though as some don`t link to galleries of who took the shot. I know you say this one is from another forum - is it one of yours Abers? Does not come over as one.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:35:25 PM by Beaux Reflets »

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 09:36:02 AM »
Looks like a Reinardina shot to me.

I agree with the remarks upon geometric play, action, mood and colour; but perhaps like Jinky, for me, the tree foilage touching the frame and breaking the geometric lines around the building throws the visual balance.

A less tighter crop to the right, or (as you cannot catch such moments twice) cloning out a tiny bit of the touching foilage would work well in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:35:06 PM by Beaux Reflets »

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 136/1 Oldboy Last post August 08, 2020, 11:48:53 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 230/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 249/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636544/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 62/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 207/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 242/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM