Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Don McCullin  (Read 4945 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
Don McCullin
« on: December 23, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »
Something to look forward to in 2013.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2012/nov/26/mccullin-watch-the-trailer-video

Rarely if ever go to the cinema (the last time was to see Jaws) but I'll certainly make the effort for this, my hero photographer! :tup:

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
Re: Don McCullin
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 01:38:03 PM »
Something to look forward to in 2013.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2012/nov/26/mccullin-watch-the-trailer-video

Rarely if ever go to the cinema (the last time was to see Jaws) but I'll certainly make the effort for this, my hero photographer! :tup:

Thanks for sharing Alan - I like his last comment "photography is the truth if it is being handled by a truthful person"
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 01:39:54 PM by Beaux Reflets »
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline nickt

• nick.thompson photography
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
Thanks for that. Something to look forward to in January.
Nick

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »
I don't suppose it will make its way to our far flung parts, so I'll have to wait for it to come on the telly. Shouldn't be too long.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline irv_b

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 02:17:39 PM »
It's on after tommorrow in London, if you want to escape from the xmas madness! Maybe it can combined with a speakers corner meetup in the new year.
http://www.curzoncinemas.com/films/details/1465/mccullin/
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline ABERS

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 11:45:44 AM »
McCullin is out on DVD and Blu-Ray tommorrow. Amazon and I-Tunes (?).

That's if you're a McCullin fan of course. :tup:

Just pre-ordered it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:50:13 AM by ABERS »

Offline ABERS

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 04:26:26 PM »
I've just had an intriguing couple of hours. Enthralled, moved, mystified, horrified and shocked.

McCullin is not just for photographers, and whilst the photography is stunning, and familiar to most, the thinking and reminiscences of McCullin certainly raises the spectre of man's inhumanity to man and the cheapness of life where conflicts arise.

He may have had The Lebanon, Cambodia, Vietnam, Cyprus, Northern Ireland, The Congo and Biafra, but even now Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya et al still perpetuate the evil.

Please see if possible.

Offline Graham

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 04:31:48 PM »
  I can see I'm going to have to get this!
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »
Moi aussi. Looks like Amazon might be getting another sale soon.

Later - Alan, do you have an Amazon reference? I can't find it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:24:49 PM by Hinfrance »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 09:53:36 PM »

Is this what you were looking for H??  It's from the UK site.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McCullin-DVD-Don/dp/B00AIUSG4Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362174473&sr=8-1
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Offline Graham

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 12:07:43 AM »

Is this what you were looking for H??  It's from the UK site.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McCullin-DVD-Don/dp/B00AIUSG4Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362174473&sr=8-1

Thanks for the link Mike, I just pressed the Magic Button.  :tup:

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 07:38:46 AM »
Thanks for the link Mike, I have no idea why that didn't turn up when I typed 'Don McCullin DVD' into Amazon's search box.

We usually use the UK site, as it it often much cheaper than the French one, and they ship everything in Europe from Luxembourg anyway.

Except for the odd ebook purchase, which is done from Amazon USA for the same price related reasons. However, as my Kindle decided to die after 13 months and Amazon's helpful response was buy another one, there's only real book reading going on around these parts for the foreseeable. Before anyone says it, yes I do have ebook readers on the laptop and on the fondleslab, but I don't find looking at a shiny screen to read terribly pleasant.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Graham

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 10:19:10 AM »
Before anyone says it, yes I do have ebook readers on the laptop and on the fondleslab,

What in God's name is a "Fondleslab"! Sounds like something you'd find in an 18th century brothel!..."Come my dear, we must retire to the fondleslab"

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 02:52:54 PM »
A fondleslab is an honest descriptive noun for a tablet computer, like a Samsung Galaxy or an iPad; on in my case a cheap as chips Android one, also known as a ChinaPad.

It's what I just posted this from, 'cos I can never prise the laptop away from Mrs H.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Offline Graham

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
 Oh I see!  :-*

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 211/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 84/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 237/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636177/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 58/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 42/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 198/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 238/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM