Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons PollHorizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Windows Live Movie Maker / DVD maker  (Read 1608 times)

Offline jinky

Windows Live Movie Maker / DVD maker
« on: December 12, 2012, 01:13:57 PM »
I`ve been using these free programmes a while now and had some good results giving a basic slideshow away with my full day wedding package.
Using them for my own holiday stuff where there is a wider range of shots - some with lots of lines / checks/ water / leaves etc I find I am getting excessive shimmering that can make it a little embarrassing to view back at times with my apologising for it. I am guessing it is the rendering from full sized jpeg images and AVCHD video to wmv output. I`ve tried using smaller files and it`s even worse. The same with my latest one whether I use top quality or bog standard blank dvds and burn at slowest speed.

Anyone else use these programmes and get good results without the shimmering? What do you do? I am just saving the latest as an HD version and seeing if it is possible / any better to write the dvd from that but don`t know what else to try.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
Re: Windows Live Movie Maker / DVD maker
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 05:19:10 PM »
Have you tried using .png image files rather than .jpg ?  They have always seemed to work better in my Opus program when doing generic Flash stuff for DVD books and Internet :)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline jinky

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 05:29:58 PM »
Never saved a png file in my life - will give it a try and see. Thanks Andy.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »
I think .png = Portable Network Graphics and accordingly the files work easier for computering speed etc., than .jpg files. Even when images are saved as Transparent .JPG's they never seem to perform so well.  :)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline jinky

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 06:47:40 PM »
Just tried doing a new one with the worst affected images changed to .png format and used. No worse but no better either - still an awful lot of shimmering that makes it unusable. Any other ides out there or suggestions for an alternative video editor / dvd burner that works with jpegs and AVCHD imported videos? Thanks for the suggestion anyway Andy.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 06:51:32 AM »
I'm no expert on this jinky, and only rarely make movies. I have used various versions of Serif's MoviePlus over the years without any problems. I currently have version X6 which I have made a few short movies with including jpgs and have no shimmering, or any other deleterious effects. The files from my little Panasonic are AVCHD Lite, according to the manual :)

I have also got Premier Elements, but only an older version, which I never use.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline jinky

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 07:51:36 AM »
Cheers for advice both. Was looking at alternative programmes after various bits of advice suggested it was a case of low quality DVD showing on an HD screen. In fact I have sorted it now. Instead of choosing an option to save project and write straight to DVD it is best to save "at recommended standard for project" , then load DVD Maker separately and import the file as saved. Worked a treat. If you have windows 7 or 8 you get live movie maker and DVD maker free and it works well for me now. It had done previously but the nature of my images from Prague and Budapest seemed to exaggerate what had been a smaller problem before. The DVDs go down very well with my full day wedding package. One bride ordered 7 sets - thought she might have just copied the original but seemingly not the know how / software thankfully. ;).

Offline Beryl

• Woldlife & Poetry
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 10:40:47 PM »
I use Windows live movie maker all the time and if you make sure you have the right com patability it's great and take MP4 format ass well.
It doesn't like drag & drop so select by the prompt it gives you. Same with DVD maker I find both excellent

You can check the com patability by right clicking on the shortcut and going to the compatibility tab.
My windows seven was set on XP. soon as I changed it was first class.
This is of course a matter of opinion and preference
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Offline jinky

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 09:10:52 AM »
Just tried that compatibility button so will see if it is better though to be fair seems sorted now. Despite their knockers I was quite impressed with microsoft. I sent a query about the shimmering to their technical lot on Wednesday and they sent a reply yesterday telling me the solution as discovered by me from another forum chat. Works a treat now if  I remember to save it in the format recommended for the project and then import it as a file to DVD Maker and don`t try to go straight to the burn a dvd option from Live Movie Maker save option. Great programme for free!

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 09:27:30 AM »
Just tried that compatibility button so will see if it is better though to be fair seems sorted now. Despite their knockers I was quite impressed with microsoft. I sent a query about the shimmering to their technical lot on Wednesday and they sent a reply yesterday telling me the solution as discovered by me from another forum chat. Works a treat now if  I remember to save it in the format recommended for the project and then import it as a file to DVD Maker and don`t try to go straight to the burn a dvd option from Live Movie Maker save option. Great programme for free!

Wonder if Apple would have been the same?  :P

Microsoft is very good with their knowledge base, where you can usually find answers to most problems.  :tup:

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 198/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 jinky Last post August 04, 2020, 10:13:43 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 229/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635993/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 55/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 192/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 234/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM