POLL - Outdoors Outdoors - ENTRY thread -...What is it? - CHAT thread...What is it? ENTRY thread ...End of an EraPoll - Doom and GloomDOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-2...Outdoors - CHAT thread - ...DOOM and GLOOM ENTRIES 1...POLL - FruitPOLL - VehiclesENTRIES-FRUIT-Weekly Comp...CHAT-FRUIT-Weekly Comp 6-...VEHICLES - CHAT thread we...VEHICLES - ENTRY thread w...Poll - Portraits

Author Topic: Chat Thread Weekly Competition 19-25th Nov. Subject - Christmas Lights  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Oldboy

Chat Thread

As Christmas is on it's way with the switching on of the Christmas lights then that is this weeks theme - Christmas Lights. It could be Christmas light, Tree lights or even Christmas objects with lights in them. The choice is yours.

No PP restrictions.

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 19th November 2012 to 23:59 Sunday  25th November 2012 .
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 26th Nevember 2012.
Poll will be up Tuesday 27th November 2012.
Winner to be announced Saturday 1st December 2012.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Re: Chat Thread Weekly Competition 19-25th Nov. Subject - Christmas Lights
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
Haven't seen proper Christmas lights in Southampton for years! But I'll find something somewhere.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 09:41:17 AM »
None round here yet either
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »
No lights here yet either. But I think the  nearest big town's Switch-on is scheduled for Saturday so I'm hoping to fit in a visit.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
Looks like a trip to the local supermarket, I bet the lights have been up for weeks   :uglystupid2:  :legit:
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 11:25:07 PM »
The Christmas lights were switched on in Birmingham Saturday 10th November. I'm sure there must be shops with Christmas lights in the windows or find a local Santa's grotto. They can't be all Scrooge's?  :(

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 08:10:06 AM »
Still nothing here.

They're very much into 'save the planet' even though almost all the electricity is from nukes - so I suspect it's much more related to 'save the lecky bill'. The council have put the street lights up, but I expect that as usual they won't turn them on until about 10th December.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:19:52 AM by Hinfrance »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline SimonW

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »
Local town - oops, sorry, it's recently re-gained the City title - was jam-packed with people today but the lights won't be turned on till 7:45 this evening by which time I'll be elsewhere. And tomorow's forecast is for continuous very heavy rain so I'll probably not get a second chance at this. The one Christmas light I found lit locally will have to do.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline SimonW

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 03:22:11 PM »
Christmas lights are just about visible here - it might have been a better shot if they'd been lit up.

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 03:57:42 PM »
Christmas lights are just about visible here - it might have been a better shot if they'd been lit up.

You had sunshine? If it wasn't raining here, it was deluging!
And Southampton has no 'proper' Christmas light whatsoever. When I read about the mayor 'switching on the lights'he switched them on in two of the shopping malls, not in the streets. But, I have been there yesterday and I went back today to see if I could spot anything useful. Have to sort through the lot to see what I can come up with.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:28:07 AM by Reinardina »

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 05:06:40 PM »
As I could only find indoor Christmas decorations, and not, what I call 'proper' Christmas lights, I decided to get the camera out on the bus home and take a few potshots at 'real' lights. In the rain, through a window that constantly steamed up.
Red, white and green lights, classic Christmas stuff!

I've called it Christmas (Shopping De-) Lights for obvious reasons.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:09:07 PM by Reinardina »

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 09:13:08 PM »
A quick one from me, had to fight my way in to the black hole (cupboard under the stairs) to find a set of lights.

Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »
Nothing from me. Haven't made it into the attic to retrieve any of the Christmas stuff and the municipal lights are still not on.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline jinky

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 12:45:36 PM »
I`d hoped to get some shots at Budapest christmas market but not many lights there. Managed to get some on my way through Leeds last night though. No eco nonsense here - been on since 8th November! My first trip to see them. Took a load of standard then abstract types so just need to decide which to load up now.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 01:19:01 PM »
Sligh
I`d hoped to get some shots at Budapest christmas market but not many lights there. Managed to get some on my way through Leeds last night though. No eco nonsense here - been on since 8th November! My first trip to see them. Took a load of standard then abstract types so just need to decide which to load up now.

Slightly OT, but will you be going to post any pictures of said city (not Leeds, seen it) either here or on Flickr?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Outdoors International Weekly Comp Entries 22/0 Jediboy Last post September 29, 2020, 06:17:14 PM
xx Outdoors - ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 20/09/30 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 155/4 Oldboy Last post September 28, 2020, 10:02:45 AM
xx What is it? - CHAT thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 21/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:20:03 PM
xx What is it? ENTRY thread - Weekly Comp 26/09/2020 - 04/10/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 14/0 Jediboy Last post September 27, 2020, 07:17:48 PM
xx End of an Era General Discussion 118/6 anglefire Last post September 27, 2020, 02:28:15 PM
xx Poll - Doom and Gloom International Weekly Comp Entries 196/5 Jediboy Last post September 26, 2020, 09:30:50 PM
xx DOOM and GLOOM CHAT 13-20/092020 International Weekly Comp Entries 222/6 jinky Last post September 22, 2020, 09:54:12 AM
xx Outdoors - CHAT thread - Weekly comp 20/09/20 - 27/09/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 148/4 Oldboy Last post September 22, 2020, 12:03:31 AM