• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 226
  • Total: 226
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Chat for competition ( Black & White ) 19 - 22 Feb 2009

Started by skellum, February 20, 2009, 07:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skellum

This weeks theme is Black & White a picture or a subject which is B&W.

Sarasocke

I hope there are few more entries to come - probably all at 11.58 tonight  :)

I had a great time trying to get Lucy to keep still, the lighting wasn't very good and I had to try to get as close as possible. All she wanted to do was to be stroked. I did try taking a pick of my dog Polly's white beard, but she kept even less still than Lucy !

Hope you like the picture.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

jimthetrain

I think there will be a few more before the deadline. Just put mine up now.
jim
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Oldboy

Some interesting shots entered this week. Not sure sarasocke cat should count as it's in colour!  :doh:
Only joking.  :D

skellum

I thought we had a black & white cat untill I photographed him, then all sorts of colours were revealed in his coat.

Hinfrance

Just about to put mine up - had to buy a new PC this week as the old one died. To say that I am seriously unimpressed by vista is an understatement . . .

Anyway, finally got Elements working.

The picture is of one of our regular local street musicians - he's always got an interesting expression, but he moves around rather quickly most of the time. Taken at ISO 6400 to wallop up the grain.

I'm off on my hols next week, but back Thursday evening.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

stevebedder

Vista......eeerrrgghhuuuhhh......makes me shudder just thinking about it. I work for a large US software company and am trying to hold off as long as I can with XP Pro as I know going to Vista is going to be a nightmare!!

Anyway...

Had a great weekend of photography this weekend - plenty of shots yesterday in some gorgeous locations up in the Lake District and got an entry in for the Black & White theme on here and one for the DCM comp too!!

Good Luck All

Steve

skellum

I had Vista taken off my new computer and went back to XP Pro, works fine now :legit:

Sarasocke

Quote from: skellum ( Dave ) on February 22, 2009, 08:03:44 PM
I thought we had a black & white cat untill I photographed him, then all sorts of colours were revealed in his coat.

My cats are really black and white, except for nose and ears, although I would say with the ears it's just that the fur's a bit thinner. And of course the green eyes.  ::)
If it's against the rules, I can always convert completely to black and white .....
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

skellum

It is ok for your entry being in colour as the competition was ( Black & White image or subject ) my picture of the blackboards is in colour if you look close at the bottom of each board you will see a bit of colour.........Dave   :legit:

northbeach

I'm confused...how is it okay for an image to have color in an entry in a b&w comp?  :-\   I didn't vote for tringle's shot, even though I really like it,  because that image is in sepia.
Can I change my vote?  Perhaps I should have read the rules :doh:
"In a hundred years, all new people."  My Gallery

Sarasocke

I actually looked for something which was black and white - I thought of a newspaper or book for instance. I thought "just" changing a good picture to black and white would be too "easy"  :legit:
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

skellum

Quote from: northbeach on February 23, 2009, 11:30:09 PM
I'm confused...how is it okay for an image to have color in an entry in a b&w comp?  :-\   I didn't vote for tringle's shot, even though I really like it,  because that image is in sepia.
Can I change my vote?  Perhaps I should have read the rules :doh:
The theme was set by Jim as ( Black & White ) Images or subject, for example I could of used my windmill picture in colour with a nice blue sky in the background as the windmill is naturally black & white.
I also agree with you on Tringles sepia shot ( an excellent capture ) but for me the main problem is the high ISO and over cropping which would only make it useable for newsprint, I did the Royal Photographic ( LRPS ) which makes you see the final image as a print and not just for computer monitors,
but he did, as he said, take it in the spirit of taking part.
I know some might think I am being over critical and I hope I havent upset anyone.  :legit:

northbeach

Dave, I'd  have to disagree.  I do think that image is an excellent piece of photo journalism - However, in my opinion,  we restrict ourselves creatively if we put things in boxes and surrounded them with "rules".   I look on them more as "guidelines".  For instance, the so called "rule of thirds" can be and should be broken if it produces a better,  more creative image.   I have seen a lot of technically excellent images that are incredibly boring :)   Some of them here at camera craniums even.

Just my take on the subject.    :legit:

Sheila

northbeach

I seem to be on a roll this orning ::)   

I also meant to say that converting a color image to a very good b&w one is not simple.  To do it well requires patience, an very good eye for tonal value and the subtlety of that range of values. 

And now I'm going to go outside, the sun is shining and I might get some bedding plants in. :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.