POLL - Home and GardenHOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...

Author Topic: Upgrade after 5yrs  (Read 2580 times)

Offline loveclose

• CC Regular visitor
Upgrade after 5yrs
« on: September 22, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »
Greetings to all (14 weeks till Xmas or so....)

I had the pleasure or misfortune of visiting Mifsuds site today,  (whichever way you look at it, pleasure cos I love looking at cams, misfortune cos it usually means spending money and getting a ticking off from Mrs Loveclose), and was quite surprised to see the massive rise in the MegaPixel count since I bought my cam five years ago.

So I'm now looking at cams again - surprisingly not leaping to get the wallet out like I did five years ago, but wondering if I really need to.

Current cam is a Nikon D200.  I'm not a pro by any means, just a very keen amateur who's been into photography since the age of about 18 months....  Now I like my D200 very much.  Solid feel, well built, and it's never let me down.  I've got an all singing all dancing Metz hammerhead which is superb, and have managed to get it interfaced with the D200 just fine.

But it's quite low on the Megapixel count these days.  I'm tempted by the D3200.  Fair price body only, and 24MPs to boot.

So the question is - is an upgrade to say the D3200 worth doing?  Are Megapixel counts all that matter?  Is the image system better or the same?  Is the build quality as rugged as the D200?  Mrs Loveclose has a D60 - she absolutely loves it - but it's a lot lighter than the D200 and the D3200 looks a similar build to the D60.  I'm asking only because I haven't yet held a D3200, and they don't have one in stock in my home town.....

Stick or upgrade??  Anyone recommend a different Nikon to the D3200.  No good recommending a four figure priced cam yet though, good as they are!

Nobody suggest upgrading to a Canon ;D ;D  After dropping a lens in a hotel room a couple of years ago, I was so glad that Mrs Loveclose had her D60 with her.  We share everything - even lenses!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:38:08 PM by loveclose »

The meek shall inherit the earth - if that's ok with everyone else.....

Offline Oldboy

Re: Upgrade after 5yrs
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 10:33:48 PM »
I've still got my Nikon D200 and use it now and again. The only thing that lets it down is the noise at anything above ISO 800 hence, why I brough a D3. If I was in your shoes I would check out the Nikon D7000, as you can get it for below £700 new. It has a 16mp DX sensor and can be set to ISO 25,600 the same as the D3.  ;D

Offline loveclose

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 11:57:59 PM »
Did I read somewhere here that the D7000 has focussing issues/lens calibration problems??

I'll certainly have a look at the 7000 - thanks for your input!

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:26:14 AM »
Did I read somewhere here that the D7000 has focussing issues/lens calibration problems??

I'll certainly have a look at the 7000 - thanks for your input!

Check this out. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/22 They always give a good lowdown on any camera with full tests on all aspects.  :tup:

Offline loveclose

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »
Many thanks for the link.  I've read through some of it this morning, and can't find the focus issue I read about elsewhere.

Maybe I got my model numbers mixed up....

Offline loveclose

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 02:03:38 PM »
Ok, I've spent the last two hours or so reading reviews on Amazon concerning the D700' hereafter known as the D7k.

There are many five star reviews, but too many reviewers report quite serious issues that drain my confidence away. 

The issues are:

Significant number of back focus issues.  Users report having to manually adjust focus settings-quite how, I dont know.

A number of users report oil on sensor issues, resolved initially when cam returned to Nikon, but problem returns again after short use time.

The Dk7 looks like being an ideal upgrade.  The D3200 is superior in mp rating, but clearly appears to have less control.

Good price for the Dk7 body only, but these reviews put me right off.  Anyone got any experience of this, or any updates to either issues??

Many thanks in anticipation!

Offline jinky

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 04:01:48 PM »
I just recently bought a D7000 to replace my aging old D80 that I used as back up to my D700. Got it for weddings etc. Used it very little so far but impressed. Certainly not as good at higher ISO levels as my D700 but much better than the D80 and D90 I tried and also got reasonable video. Not reading the manual I had some issues re: folders and dual card slot but getting there now. Works well with all my lenses thus far and whilst part of me wished I`d waited for D600 and used the D700 as back up it was cost that was the issue. Got it for a really good price at HDew - cheapest in UK at time. £599 there just now. I had problems trying to pay online and just rang up on the Monday paying over the phone telling them I wanted the offer price. They seem to be extending that price week by week at the moment and confirm if they have stock when you call. Had good reports from them from a number of people - as long as happy with grey import. All UK spec chargers etc in the box and they supply a printed out manual  - don`t know what that is for but useful as a dorr wedge  :)
http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/nikon-d7000-digital-slr-camera-body-584-p.asp

They are grey imports at that price but come with a 3 year warranty using a Nikon accredited repair shop so I was happy to take the risk. Very efficient with fast delivery at stated time.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 04:08:15 PM by jinky »

Offline loveclose

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 11:13:16 PM »
Held the D7000 in Jessops a few days ago.....

Very nice indeed.

Unfortunately Mrs Loveclose was in town too with her usual 50 cal........ :legit:

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:46:24 PM »
Held the D7000 in Jessops a few days ago.....

Very nice indeed.

Unfortunately Mrs Loveclose was in town too with her usual 50 cal........ :legit:

If you do decide to buy it from Jessops then, buy it online via the website and tick the collect from store option, as it's cheaper and you can collect from local store within half hour.  :tup:

Offline loveclose

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 06:45:52 PM »
Yep, Jessonps online price is 699 last time I looked - and in fact the lass in store offered me that price anyway which was good.

Unfortunatley, the .50cal was armed and dangerous.......

And I don't have the bottle!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Either brown trouser fear or sheer love.....

Hell, may just have to take the train to Jessops again tomorrow!!

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »
Sometimes it can be necesary to buy things and hide them in the back of the wardrobe, or so I have heard . . . ahem . . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline loveclose

• CC Regular visitor
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »
Used to be able to do that.....

Until the advent of broadband where Mrs Loveclose can see the purchase before I've even had a chance to hide it!!

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »
Time to use older technology, like a landline; not that I would know, of course  8)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline jinky

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 06:32:50 AM »
£5999 at that HDew link I gave you wihth a 3 year warranty. :idea: Also it is best if you order on the phone to check availability and get round that payment online software glitch I hit. You know you wat to buy one! :D

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 07:34:19 AM »
£5999 at that HDew link I gave you wihth a 3 year warranty. :idea: Also it is best if you order on the phone to check availability and get round that payment online software glitch I hit. You know you wat to buy one! :D

Nearly £6,000 seems a bit steep imho  :P
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Home and Garden International Weekly Comp Entries 80/0 Jediboy Last post April 07, 2020, 11:06:27 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 180/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 170/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:45:17 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 109/4 Jediboy Last post April 06, 2020, 04:14:53 PM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 227/5 Jediboy Last post April 05, 2020, 11:46:39 PM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 68/0 jinky Last post April 05, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 594595/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571862/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM