STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollRFELCTIONS - Chat Thread...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice house

Author Topic: Parking Hall of Shame  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Matthew

• Life is what you make it.
Parking Hall of Shame
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:11:53 PM »
I started a (dare I say it) Facebook page a while ago dedicated to pictures of dodgy parking. I aptly named it "Parking Hall of Shame"....This last couple of weeks my page has seen a quick increase in members. If anyone is interested in joining here's a link....https://www.facebook.com/groups/ParkingShame/permalink/388220401238174/?ref=notif&notif_t=like#!/groups/ParkingShame/

:uglystupid2:

Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
Re: Parking Hall of Shame
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:14:57 AM »
There is a similarly themed Flickr group which seems to have degenerated into a platform for individuals who don't like cars being legally parked on the street where they live.

You also need to be very careful if a car is sitting somewhere in a car park on its own - how many times have you come to the last 'space' only to find that because all the other vehicles are misaligned you have to be too; then when you get back the other cars have gone and you look like you can't park?

Not that there isn't rubbish parking out there . .

Start as you mean to go on #2 Teenager Parking by Hinfrance, on Flickr
(OK, not really parking as such, but still amusing)

The Missing C by Hinfrance, on Flickr

4x4 disabled_not_IGP5943 by Hinfrance, on Flickr
(this scene particularly gets me - the disabled bays at the airport are almost always chock a block with UK registered 4x4s)

4x4_parking by Hinfrance, on Flickr
(Two spaces and half the road - my favourite)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:26:38 AM »
You think that's bad then you need to come to Birmingham to see bad and anti social parking.  >:(

I've thought about doing a web page on antisocial behaviour, like sitting on the outside seat of two or leaving bags on seats, as most people don't like to ask you to move it, so would remain standing. Last week I got on a bus that was mostly empty but noticed a Asian girl sitting on an inside seat but had left a bag to stop others from sitting next to her. I stopped and stared at the bag, making her feel so guilty she removed it.  ::)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:14:29 AM »
I don't drive anymore, so hardly notice badly parked cars.

Like OB I am a stickler for bags travelling on seats on public transport though, or people using the aisle seat and leave the window seat empty when the bus/train is full.

I very often target these people, by simply asking if I can share the seat. Sometimes they mumble they have to get off soon, and therefore occupy the aisle seat, only for me to have to ask them to let me out when we reach my stop.

I also make a point of offering my seat to (even) older people, or pregnant women, sometimes triggering a response from the young Brits. Young foreigners are often much more polite.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Paul Montgomery

• My photography website
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »
Grrrr - there's nothing winds me up more than selfish behaviour....

However, I think we need to be a little careful of accusations when its hard to tell what's happening without context. For example in 'the missing C', I don't believe its against any rules to temporarily stop in a disabled bay to pick up a passenger or ask for directions for example...

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:15:38 PM »
He was there when I went into the shop and he was there when I came out some time later. He is also in two spaces, and there were vacant standard spaces about two bays away.

Although as it is a Ferrari it's quite possible it has simply broken down . . they do that a LOT.

As most disabled bays (including this one) are on private property - the Mall car park in this case - anyone parking in them is breaking no laws, but they are potentially being very inconsiderate and/or arrogant.

We don't seem to suffer from misuse of disabled bays here - except for UK registered 4x4s, obviously - there is a sign which says 'Take my space, take my handicap' which seems to do the job - although adequate car parking probably has a major role to play too. You can imagine the outrage when on street parking charges were introduced, and then they started charging for the municipal car parks as well - zoot!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:21:17 PM by Hinfrance »
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Three bodies and some lenses. :) - Sold my 1DMk3
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 07:18:08 PM »
As a 4x4 driver, I can say that I don't see them being any more inconsiderate than any other cars TBH. However, parking bays are getting smaller and smaller, and I often end up being over the lines on both sides.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline Matthew

• Life is what you make it.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 10:35:39 PM »
The page itself is a light hearted one, meant as a bit of fun. I do ask members if they upload, to mask off licence plates/faces etc. I do a lot of driving 50,000+ miles a year a have seen it all, but the one thing that still gets my goat is lazy parking......I know it sounds trivial, but to a person who drives for a living, it makes you think if they are that uncaring and ignorant towards parking their vehicle, what are they like on the go? Makes me shudder to think.

Great photos here by the way!  :tup:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:37:11 PM by highlandscenics »
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 101/2 Oldboy Last post August 09, 2020, 05:58:50 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 189/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx RFELCTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 38/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 9/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 61/1 jinky Last post August 09, 2020, 07:40:00 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 233/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 254/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 636698/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM