POLL - Home and GardenHOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...

Author Topic: More Swifts in flight.  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Oldboy

More Swifts in flight.
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:09:20 PM »
Another dull day with rain saw Swan Pool full of Swifts. Why don't they fly over when the sun shines?

Click images for bigger sizes.  :tup:

Offline Beryl

• Woldlife & Poetry
Re: More Swifts in flight.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:19:09 PM »
Nic shots. Loadsdown here too
A true friend is the best possession

My Web site
http://berylladd.com/
Oh . And thanks for looking in

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:24:53 AM »
I suppose their favourite insects are not about, when it is hot and sunny.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 11:43:15 AM »
Super panning OB  :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Graham

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 12:24:37 PM »
Super panning OB  :tup:

I suspect it's not so much panning an swiveling aroud like a whirling dervish!
  I've given up trying to photograph these things, so hats off to Oldboy.
               Graham. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 12:42:52 PM »
I only answered the question, and forgot to comment on the pictures.
That's what sometimes happens, when you get older!

Great shots OB.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »
Thanks for all the comments folks. I was out again today in all that rain photographing Swifts and House Martins over Swan pool. The biggest problem I had, was the viewfinder kept filling with water, which didn't make the task of panning whilst keeping them in the focus point very easy.  :P

Please click image for bigger size.  :tup:

Offline irv_b

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:08:02 PM »
Superb stuff there OB :tup:  I often try to get shots of the swifts over the lake down the road but not even close to this good!
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »
Wish I could do swifts. They often fly very low up and down the road outside our front door, and last week were either flying high over our garden or through it at head height. Even so, I've never managed a shot I'd be proud of. I'm sure you must be very pleased with these.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 10:33:25 PM »
Superb stuff there OB :tup:  I often try to get shots of the swifts over the lake down the road but not even close to this good!

Thanks irv_b. Try following them with the camera, with the focus point on them, without taking a picture. After a few trial runs of keeping them in the focus point try a shot.  :tup:

Wish I could do swifts. They often fly very low up and down the road outside our front door, and last week were either flying high over our garden or through it at head height. Even so, I've never managed a shot I'd be proud of. I'm sure you must be very pleased with these.

Thanks Simon. See above. Happy that I've caught them but not happy that it's dull so no catch-light in the eye.  :'(

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Home and Garden International Weekly Comp Entries 63/0 Jediboy Last post April 07, 2020, 11:06:27 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 176/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 165/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:45:17 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 104/4 Jediboy Last post April 06, 2020, 04:14:53 PM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 222/5 Jediboy Last post April 05, 2020, 11:46:39 PM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 66/0 jinky Last post April 05, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 593973/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571537/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM