SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeWhat annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...Joke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...Tool Time PollPhoto show at the Nec - p...Uploading

Author Topic: Dilemma.  (Read 3314 times)

Offline eysha

• CC Regular visitor
    • TheKavanaghCollection
Dilemma.
« on: May 18, 2012, 11:39:19 AM »
I would like a new camera, not necessarily a DSLR though as i am open to suggestions.
I want, in no particular order, just as they come to mind, a good long zoom range, very good quality photos, not interested in video mode as i never use it, not expensive to keep up with as in the add on lenses etc, easy to use, lightweight, an improvement on my panny fz38, very quick to take shots, a good all rounder and things i cannot think of at the moment, lol.
I like to (try) to take wildlife so quick is important, not too many bells and whistles as i don't use them.
What is your suggestion and why? I am still looking at all kinds of cameras and did think a DSLR would be good and even asked about them too but maybe i am missing something by being narrow minded on a DSLR which i am going off due to expense so a mid range priced camera.
There are way to many on the market now and while it ends up being personal preference expert guidance is greatly appreciated and there are so many experts here i decided to ask - well i was told i could ask anything, lol.

Please visit my site at
www.ThekavanaghCollection.co.uk

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
Re: Dilemma.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »
Sounds very like the car I want: a large 4x4 which fits inside my tiny garage, a sporty two-seater with room for all the family and their luggage, very cheap and extremely luxurious, it says "look at me" without attracting attention and is very fast but won't set off speed cameras.......
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline eysha

• CC Regular visitor
    • TheKavanaghCollection
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »
But there is a big difference between the camera i want and your tiny garage. lol.
Please visit my site at

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 12:04:03 AM »
But there is a big difference between the camera i want and your tiny garage. lol.

You mean you want a large camera.  :P

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »

But very little in the disparate dichotomies of the characteristics you are looking for. What Simon is saying (rather eloquently, I thought) is that your requirements are rather unachievable - neither fish nor fowl as it were.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 07:33:21 AM »
Is it Groundhog Day?  :)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 07:35:40 AM »

Most definitely.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:08:10 AM »
Eysha have a look at the compact camera systems, they should give you most of what you want but you will have to have video.
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Offline jinky

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 08:35:39 AM »
On a bridge the Fuji X-S1er  looks the pick of the bunch but costs as much as a lower end dslr

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 10:21:03 AM »
TBH jinky I'm thinking about saving up for one of those - they seem quite an attractive proposition - apart from the price :)

But then I have just discovered that the EXR function of the HS20 can be 'forced' in P,S,A and M modes, so I am investigating how well that works.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline eysha

• CC Regular visitor
    • TheKavanaghCollection
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 04:08:27 PM »
ABERS and R, am i boring you? My apologies if i am but remember you both seem to have the camera you want and i am still looking. I was told i could ask questions and you don't have to read my posts. lol. :)

Perhaps if i change the question without starting a new thread. ::)

WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR/ WHAT ARE THE MAIN FEATURES TO LOOK  FOR WHEN BUY A CAMERA? ;)

(not shouting, just making this a new heading so i know what i am doing when i go to buy a camera. It has to last forever so i cannot afford to make a mistake lol.) :)

Hope the change of title is better R and Abbers.

Hinfrance - what does this mean? 'But then I have just discovered that the EXR function of the HS20 can be 'forced' in P,S,A and M modes, so I am investigating how well that works.'
Thanks for reading folks. All help welcome.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:10:27 PM by eysha »
Please visit my site at

Offline donoreo

• Global Moderator
  • I cannot deny anything I did not say
    • donsmithphoto2011
Dilemma.
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 04:25:59 PM »

Most definitely.
It's like déjà Vu all over again.

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 04:55:57 PM »

Most definitely.
It's like déjà Vu all over again.

Déjà Vu par excellence.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Matthew

• Life is what you make it.
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 05:43:48 PM »
Hi Eyesha, I have a fuji s200exr which is decent, but it's getting on for a couple of years old now. Had no trouble with it though. My first camera was a Fuji s9600, had that out in all weathers before I had to put it in for it's first repair after 4yrs of constant use (usb port became detached inside the body and shorted out the main power board). If you don't want to venture into fully fledged DSLR, then Fuji's are robust and reliable. They also are more geared toward the bridge market, so you might find one thats more suited to your needs.

I am looking toward the DSLRs' for my next venture, just purely because I've found myself in situations where I couldn't get a decent shot because my fixed lens wasn't up to the job. For example, I was trying to photograph Tornado Fighter jets doing aerial manouevres, but I couldn't achieve a fast enough shutter speed/focus to capture them sharp. Also birdlife when trying to capture them in mid flight.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 05:52:12 PM by highlandscenics »
Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline eysha

• CC Regular visitor
    • TheKavanaghCollection
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »
Thanks Highlandscenic, i appreciate your time on this and i have the same problem in a slow camera trying to capture fast moving wildlife etc so i understand why you want a DSLR. I am sure you understand whey i do too now, lol. If you find anything goo please let me know - thanks. E.
Please visit my site at

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 309/13 Hinfrance Last post Today at 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 113/5 Hinfrance Last post Today at 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 18/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 44/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
xx Poll - Stuck at Home International Weekly Comp Entries 184/3 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:16:30 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 590469/3915 Jediboy Last post March 28, 2020, 02:04:26 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 569646/3891 Oldboy Last post March 27, 2020, 03:45:19 PM
xx Joke of the day General Discussion 95036/351 Jediboy Last post March 24, 2020, 04:14:01 PM