Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...Drone

Author Topic: Crucial SSD Drives  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
Crucial SSD Drives
« on: May 15, 2012, 09:39:32 AM »
Anyone used one (or more) of these SSD (solid-state drive) http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Crucial/SSD-Drives

Seems like the technology is moving on pretty fast now, and with no moving parts I can see these catching on.  I'm yet to see a laptop or PC with one fitted as standard, but from a laptop point of view, it should survive being dropped. (well at least your data should).  ;) 

Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Oldboy

Re: Crucial SSD Drives
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:05:28 AM »
I've tried an OCZ Agility - these are available a little cheaper than Crucial.  (As far as I can work out it's like processors - the best ones get a Vertex label and the Agility are second division - some excellent, some not so)

Boot times were very good and so was program launch - probably halved.  I used it as scratch drive for PS and it was barely noticeable (presumably because my computer has plenty of memory so doesn't swap so often).  I tested as a library drive for Lightroom and it was about 10% quicker than a spinning metal drive.  Not enough to put up with the hassle of the small size.

Then Drive Genius started beeping and I sent it back to eBuyer.  They refunded because it was faulty.

Replaced it with a Seagate Hybrid drive - well worth checking out.  It guesses what you will need next and copies it from spinning metal to an SSD cache.  Boot times are up there with SSD after the first few boots.

If I was speccing a laptop right now I'd have either an SSD or hybrid in it for sure.  In a year or so I doubt you'll see laptops without them.
It's Guest's round

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »
I've tried an OCZ Agility - these are available a little cheaper than Crucial.  (As far as I can work out it's like processors - the best ones get a Vertex label and the Agility are second division - some excellent, some not so)

Boot times were very good and so was program launch - probably halved.  I used it as scratch drive for PS and it was barely noticeable (presumably because my computer has plenty of memory so doesn't swap so often).  I tested as a library drive for Lightroom and it was about 10% quicker than a spinning metal drive.  Not enough to put up with the hassle of the small size.

Then Drive Genius started beeping and I sent it back to eBuyer.  They refunded because it was faulty.

Replaced it with a Seagate Hybrid drive - well worth checking out.  It guesses what you will need next and copies it from spinning metal to an SSD cache.  Boot times are up there with SSD after the first few boots.

If I was speccing a laptop right now I'd have either an SSD or hybrid in it for sure.  In a year or so I doubt you'll see laptops without them.

Thanks for the info Jonathan, not seen those hybrid drives before you mentioned them. http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/momentus-xt-hybrid/   

So what are they, SSD, or conventional magnetic, or a combination of both?  I'll have a better read up later.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »
So what are they, SSD, or conventional magnetic, or a combination of both?

A combination.  Or if you prefer "hybrid" :D

MacPro's boot drive is now a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT.  Very fast and stable.  Drive Genius is keeping an eye on it and it's been great for a month.  Not sure I could easily live with a 128 / 256 GB drive as boot.
It's Guest's round

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 02:51:19 PM »
Like most things it depends on price per Mb. As more and more are rolled out the price will fall. I remember been quoted £300 plus for a 30mb, yes 30mb, hard drive in 1990.  :o

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 10:12:09 AM »
It's Guest's round

Offline Oldboy

Offline Colin

• My Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »
If you are a regular user of your PC and you are using it as your boot drive don't expect it to last more than about a year. There have been several threads on techie boards about this problem. Like a USB pendrive and a camera memory card they have a finite number of write cycles and by having your o/s on one this can be quickly reached. If you don't have your o/s on one why would you need one? ;)

Offline spinner

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 06:26:13 PM »
If you are a regular user of your PC and you are using it as your boot drive don't expect it to last more than about a year. There have been several threads on techie boards about this problem. Like a USB pendrive and a camera memory card they have a finite number of write cycles and by having your o/s on one this can be quickly reached. If you don't have your o/s on one why would you need one? ;)

Wonder what the Gamers think of this? That's what they seem to be pushing in those circles. Talk about reduced life cycles. I hope it's wrong though, I finally got a Hackintosh running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 off one of these drives, none of my Sata's seemed satisfactory to the system.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline Paul Montgomery

• My photography website
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 05:51:20 PM »
I'm afraid its not wrong...
The solid state logic gates only have a finite number of write cycles and so capacity will be reduced with use. Thinking about it a bit more, the OS might be O.K. if any swap files are on a different disk - I guess if they are moved, the system disk won't be written to very often.

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »
OK.

Just shoehorned a Crucial M4 into the Macbook Pro.  I was going to get an OCZ but the Vertex is about 40 quid more than the Crucial and the Agility isn't as fast.  I went for the 256 GB - I'll live with that until 512 come down in price a lot which should save a little money and get me a fresh drive when this one wears out :)

First impressions:

1. Apple are idiots.  Swapping a hard drive for a SMALLER hard drive isn't that easy because Time Machine keeps some secret files on your Lion machine.  You can't see them and you can't delete them.  It took some terminal commands to sort it...

2. Yeah, it's pretty fast :D  From a cold booted machine, Photoshop CS5 takes about 4 seconds to launch.  Second launch is about 2 seconds.  Which is kind of OK.  Beachball pretty much never appears.

I took the advantage of having the machine in bits to whack in some extra memory too as it's dirt cheap ATM.  I'm now maxed out at 8GB which is kind of on the low side :(

Oh and the machine is now silent.  Fans never seem to come on at all.
It's Guest's round

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 04:54:01 PM »
1. Apple are idiots. 

Surely not!  :2funny: :2funny:

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 08:52:54 AM »
1. Apple are idiots. 

Surely not!  :2funny: :2funny:

Well, yes and no.

What they have done is incredibly clever.  If your computer can't contact the Time Machine drive it makes secret TM backups in a  locked off area of the disk.  When it sees the drive it copies them on there.  If you need a backup that's local it serves them up from the secret area seamlessly.  It also manages the disk really well, deleting backups when you need more space so you never have les than you expect.

Basically it's a very clever invisible add on to Time Machine.  Worst case you only have the backups you would have had anyway but likely you have extra data robustness.

Since it's on a secret area of the drive, most tools can't see it.  I had the finder, disk utility and What Size all telling me I had 50 gig on the drive.  In fact the only time you'd ever know about it is if you try to swap the hard drive for a smaller one.  And as we know, in all of history nobody has ever done this.  Until people started swapping their drives for SSDs...

Wonder what the Gamers think of this? That's what they seem to be pushing in those circles. Talk about reduced life cycles. I hope it's wrong though, I finally got a Hackintosh running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 off one of these drives, none of my Sata's seemed satisfactory to the system.

I'm going to guess they aren't too worried.  Lots of hard core gamers upgrade graphics cards very frequently.  An extra £150 every 12 months when your SSD wears out doesn't seem too bad in context.
It's Guest's round

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 23/2 Hinfrance Last post Today at 08:05:53 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 198/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635063/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 38/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 25/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 175/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 213/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM
xx TIME OUT. Entry thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 170/3 Oldboy Last post July 27, 2020, 10:17:12 PM