POLL for STREETSTREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: David Suchet - James Jarche  (Read 3267 times)

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
David Suchet - James Jarche
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:05:34 PM »
Watched an interesting programme on ITV yesterday night where M.Suchet retraced the footsteps of his photojournalist grandfather James Jarche.

Whilst M. Jarche was a prolific photojournalist with many front page pictures to his name, both pre-war, during the war and post war, he doesn't appear to have the reputation that perhaps he deserved, although two of his pictures struck a bell for me.

Suchet took his grandfather's Leica to the locations visited by grandad to recreate the pictures taken by him, with some success I think.

It all looked so easy though, but with back up of a formidable research department and the ease of entry to various locations it made good watching and listening.

The programme was part of a series called Perspectives and was called People I have Shot by David Suchet.

I don't know if it is to be repeated in the near future but it is available on ITV iPlayer.

Offline irv_b

Re: David Suchet - James Jarche
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:15:54 PM »
Alan I watched that last night and was going to raise it here also.
Both me and the Good Lady Wife  agreed during the show about the comment you made ref. the researchers also how quickly he was able to use the old manual Leica and get perfect exposures (mostly). In all it was a enjoyable show and made me think about looking into the grandfather portfolio.
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline ABERS

• Black and White Images by Alan Abercrombie
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
Hi Irv,

The other thing that amused me was the four 'experts' in the gallery who agreed that grandad was a great photographer. I would have thought such people at the height of their profession would have heard of him. :doh:

I don't know if either of my grandads had a camera, if they did it's very unlikely it would have been a Leica. :-\

Offline Graham

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:17:09 PM »
  Thanks for the reminder, I knew it was on, but forgot all about it.
              Graham. :tup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Offline irv_b

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:51:57 PM »
Hi Irv,

The other thing that amused me was the four 'experts' in the gallery who agreed that grandad was a great photographer. I would have thought such people at the height of their profession would have heard of him. :doh:

I don't know if either of my grandads had a camera, if they did it's very unlikely it would have been a Leica. :-\

I seem to remember there was a shot James posing with a rangefinder but I don't think it was a Leica.
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline SimonW

• Dunning Parish Historical Society
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:51:33 AM »
I enjoyed that show, and I also wondered if the PM and the Queen would let me into their homes and pose for me. Sometimes it's useful to be so well known. But David does do an excellent job of this type of documentary. Well worth watching him even if photography isn't your thing.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Offline jinky

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »
Just watched in on ITV player. Lovely programme with some beautiful work in there. Don`t you just wish you could get the opportunity to shoot some of those subjects. I would have loved to have been into photography  as a teenager when all my family bar my dad ( 4 uncles, 2 grandads) were down the mines in the north east. All gone now - as did my uncles with an array of chest / heart complaints caused by going underground before they were 60 :(
I though the worst shots Suchet did were one of Cameron and the Queen. Wish I could get the chance to shoot Cameron - would even take my camera to capture the event  ;)

Offline John Doyle2

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 11:12:58 AM »
Yes, an enjoyable show and a change from what is normally aired. David Suchet, is an experienced Nikon Photographer! Plenty of opportunities for him on sets.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 47/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 124/3 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:59:38 PM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 175/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 225/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 64/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 22/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 271/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 268/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM