FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...

Author Topic: Buying on Amazon  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Tripod

Buying on Amazon
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:10:18 PM »
Last month I ordered a memory card using my account on AMAZON.......Then this week I ordered Microsoft Office home version.

The first order I used a computer at work and the same with the second order. Both times I was in a bit of a hurry. On looking into my account the next day after placing the order for the software I found that two further items where there of which I did not order.

Just by chance I was chatting about it in the office and mentioned the items by name when a colleague piped up and said he was looking at those items and had put it in the basket but did not go to checkout. He also didn't realise he was not in his own account but in mine.

It now has become clear that when using your account you must not only log in but you must log out as well. Especially when using a shared computer. Even if you switch the computer off, when you next go to AMAZON your account will still be open.

This to my mind and thoughts is a very severe breach in security by AMAZON.

My bank account is always closed down no matter how I end the transaction, switch off, change site or program, it will always automatically log out.

All I hope now is that after informing AMAZON of my concerns and unwanted order they will put the matter to rights.(Take care out there) or else I'll have the inconvenience of sending unwanted items back and wait for a refund and checking my bank account to make sure it is reimbursed

John
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:16:00 PM by Tripod »

Offline jimthetrain

Re: Buying on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 03:39:54 PM »
The placing of items in your basket doesn't require any other input by you but actually buying them involves you typing in your password again, so I don't think any one else can actually buy things on your account unless they know your logging in password. I find this a little annoying when on your own computer as remembering passwords when you've not used their services for some time can be hard work if you are as unorganised as I am but does stop others abusing your account. Hope this brings a little peace of mind to yourself.
  Jim.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

Offline Tripod

Re: Buying on Amazon
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 07:28:58 PM »
The paragraph below is the main point of the problem I had.

It now has become clear that when using your account you must not only log in but you must log out as well. Especially when using a shared computer. Even if you switch the computer off, when you next go to AMAZON your account will still be open.

Because I didn't know you had to log out from Amazon, site allowed a colleague when using the same computer to place two items in my basket. He thinking, he was just browsing the Amazon site. Then deciding not to go to checkout at that time.

So the Amazon site allows others to get not only into my account if I forget to log out but also gives access to my credit card. Also Amazon allow you to deliver to an address other than the billing address. Therefore as said Amazon is not as they state a secure site.  I Bank on-line and the site will log off automatically even if I changed over to another site, come out of connection to the internet or switched off the computer.

Amazon does not do this. Your account is still left open with no need to log back in. So anyone using a shared computer can access your account if you do not log out. You also have to go to another page to log out from Amazon. Why can't they put a log out button handy to and on the ordering page.

I agree with what you say as regards having to log in when actually going to checkout. I did just that but did not see the extra two items added to my basket as I was in a hurry at the time and the items were off page below the order I had placed at that time. So if Amazon can get their act together we would all be safer in our dealings with them. After all they do claim they are a secure site.........
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:56:26 PM by Tripod »

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 21/0 jinky Last post Today at 10:28:18 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 22/0 jinky Last post Today at 10:26:56 AM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 139/1 jinky Last post Today at 10:16:00 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 592872/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571051/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 391/13 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 177/5 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 41/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM