STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for STREETSTREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...Horizons PollREFLECTIONS - Chat Threa...REFLECTIONS - Entry threa...Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......

Author Topic: FREEVIEW. Future proof your TV, (NOT)  (Read 15901 times)

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
  • I really, really hate lawn mowers.
    • Camera Craniums
FREEVIEW. Future proof your TV, (NOT)
« on: November 15, 2008, 03:07:28 PM »
Just noticed one of our freeview set top boxes is playing up, and is putting the channels in a strange order.   BBC1 is now on a channel number up in the 800's for example, and there's no way to change it.

After doing a bit of digging on the web, it seems I'm not alone as there's roughly 250.000 other people having the same problems.   Apparently there's also loads that have rendered their set top boxes dead after doing a simple channel scan.  Loads of these boxes are doomed when the digital switchover happens.

I know these digi boxes are cheap as chips at the moment, but it really bugs me that we have been ripped off yet again.  ::)

Anyway, there's some more info in the following links.

Freeview owners making their one-off purchase, twice

Freeview gone blank recently?

Transmission changes affecting some Freeview digital boxes  This list will no doubt grow, as a lot of boxes are using the same components but re-branded.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:49:39 AM by admin »

Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.0.13 / Tinyportal 1.2R

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
Re: FREEVIEW. Future proof your TV, (NOT)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 09:36:17 PM »
mick, i am a satellite/aerial installer by trade and i've met alot of unhappy people over this, it was hailed as a 1 off payment...that is unless you have a box that can't handle the new channels.
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Offline Mick

• I've got the latest Canon - 4 rings, double oven and eye level grill! And HD video!
  • Administrator
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:06:55 AM »

mick, i am a satellite/aerial installer by trade

Alan, wish you were based around here mate, I had a new aerial installed about three years ago, and now it moves around like a weather vane.  ::)

I dare say when the actual switchover takes place here that my boxes won't support the 8kb signal, so they will have to be scrapped.  At the moment I'll live with the channels being all over the place as they are still working.  ;)

My Gallery

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 04:20:12 PM »
mick, like you say, if it's not broke leave it. Freesat seems to be making a moveas it seems much better than freeview, the channels stay on for longer and the signal is much stronger, and if you don't have a digital aerial aleady then it's no difference in price to get freesat over freeview

Offline Tripod

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 10:42:16 PM »
Artical in the press last week.

There is no such thing as a digital aerial and people are being ripped off by being told that their existing aerial won't be any use on digital switch over. Most existing aerials if in good condition will cope very well says the artical.

Another money spinner for some me thinks.

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • Camera Craniums
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:25:24 AM »
John, I guess that's true to a certain extent.   

I think it comes down to the fact that some types of aerial work better than others, especially in weak signal areas.   I believe I have a wide band aerial on my roof, and to be honest it looks like a conventional type, rather than one of those spikey so called digital ones.

Also I guess a brand new aerial probably will out perform one that been on your chimney for last twenty years.

Alan might be able to answer some of these queries.

My Gallery

Offline Tripod

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 07:42:55 PM »
Like said Mick.

Most existing aerials if in good condition will cope very well says the artical.

Offline alan1572

• I'll do it tomorrow
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 01:20:53 PM »
it's a thing i explain to every customer, i digital aerial is just a given aerial that will work in a given place. Where i live in Skelmersdale the reception goes from perfect (old skelmersdale) to very very bad (Ashurst),  an aerial to get digital in Old Skelmersdale will cost about £60 whilst in Ashurst you can pay £150 for a top of the range aerial on a 15 ft pole and possibly an amplifier yet they are only 1.5 mile apart, the difference is that Ashurst has a Beacon right in front of it in the direction of Winter Hill which is our transmiter.

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 158/5 Jediboy Last post Today at 11:55:14 AM
question POLL for STREET International Weekly Comp Entries 64/0 Hinfrance Last post August 11, 2020, 08:10:27 AM
xx STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 186/4 Jediboy Last post August 10, 2020, 06:57:54 PM
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 233/4 anglefire Last post August 09, 2020, 04:51:11 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Chat Thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 74/2 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
xx REFLECTIONS - Entry thread, Weekly Comp - 08/08/20 - 16/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 26/0 Jediboy Last post August 09, 2020, 03:20:15 PM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 289/6 anglefire Last post August 05, 2020, 07:48:42 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 271/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM