What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...POLL - Something good, We...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...Tool Time PollPhoto show at the Nec - p...

Author Topic: Photographer stands his ground  (Read 2563 times)

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
Photographer stands his ground
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »
Just been reading this article and watching the video that was taken when two security guards tried to stop a photographer taking some pictures of a factory in Scunthorpe whilst on a public path:

http://www.visitscunthorpe.com/ScunthorpeNews/headline/Golden-Wonder-Security

:-\

Offline Geoff I

• CC Regular visitor
Re: Photographer stands his ground
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:21:11 PM »
That was superb good on the photographer for standing his ground, just goes to show that a pair of jobsworths just do not know the law, I think we should get a fist full of togs to go to Scunthorpe Golden Wonder Factory and see if we can get them to come out again.

Brilliant Video.

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 12:27:06 PM »
I can't help noticing that he was the first one to start shouting.....
It's Guest's round

Offline Just Dave

• Holidays-Revealed
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 12:34:52 PM »
The Photographer was clearly baiting them, but still the guards are in the wrong
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Offline Cathus

• http://blog.glnphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 02:39:36 PM »
I wouldn't describe the photographer as shouting at all to be fair, neither would I describe him as baiting them. He was merely standing his ground, it was the female security officer who lost her temper, swore and took it out on the barrier on the way back into the office. She's the one who lost all credibility there.

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:11:11 PM »
I think the photographer could come across as baiting and being arrogant, but he only sounds that way IMO because the security guards don't know what they are talking about and end up making things up.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:12:53 PM by stevebedder »

Offline greypoint

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »
I think it's hard for someone with a voice like his to appear arrogant! A more intelligent security guard would surely have wandered over and had a brief friendly chat about why he might be taking pictures and the photographer would have no doubt explained it was for his pictures of Scunthorpe series and that would have been the end of it. The trick of course is to photograph everything with a phone - you'll probably be totally ignored  :D

picsfor

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 03:40:25 PM »
I'm calling 50/50 on this.

The photographer should have explained what he was taking pictures of and why - which should have placated the security bod.
That said, the security bods failed to ask what he was doing or even ask if he had official permission to take the pictures, and then proceeded to make fools of themselves all over youtube.

When are these people going to learn?

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 03:50:38 PM »
Here's another one I found today about London Underground putting a ban on DSLR users at Aldwych underground station because they would cause a health & safety hazard:

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2136431/london-underground-apologises-dslr-ban-blunder

:doh:

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 03:52:23 PM »
50:50 sounds fair.

Security guard was clearly in the wrong.  He's also clearly an amateur at baiting :) (keep tip: remain absolutely reasonable but just keep repeating the same thing - it will drive them mad.  On the third time they mention the law take out your phone and call the police then hand it to them.).  He went in hard with the "but why - you have no rights" in a raised voice.  No way that was going to end well.

I've had a couple of run ins with security guards.  Sometimes I was in the right and sometimes they were.  But I was always nice to them and always got what I needed.  But I didn't get famous on YouTube.
It's Guest's round

Offline Jonathan

• PeopleByRyan
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »
Here's another one I found today about London Underground putting a ban on DSLR users at Aldwych underground station because they would cause a health & safety hazard:

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2136431/london-underground-apologises-dslr-ban-blunder

:doh:

It's alluded to in the article but not often realised.....Aldwych isn't just any tube station.  It's a closed tube station opened as a museum.

It's not a fashionable view but they do get the right to decide what goes on in their museum.
It's Guest's round

Offline stevebedder

• My Flickr Gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »
Agreed that they get the right to decide what goes on, but the reasons for some of their decisions are questionable.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 05:40:43 PM »
The Aldwych tube station has been on before, and when you look into it, the reason for the ban is fair.  :tup:

As to the security guards at the Golden Wonder factory it about par for the course. I'm surprised they didn't notice the camera was still rolling.  :uglystupid2:

Offline jinky

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 06:46:47 PM »
Yes the tube station has been aired before and has some sort of justification. Re: the security guards it is what I have come to expect of such guards. Always them and never the Police in my experience who have issues. In this case the photographer seems to have set himself the task of taking on daft attitudes though and none too brightly either. He is right of course but did he have to stand for so long baiting the people further? Was there really a must have shot worth having a stupid repetitive argument? When I have had mine they have been in genuine situations where I have felt it benefical to shoot and offering promotion to events and been prepared to argue but not forever. There comes a point where you just say I am breaking no laws but I have what I want and am going now thank you very much.

Offline spinner

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 11:15:10 PM »
I realize this stuff gets great play here, because it's a photo site, but I am baffled why it's still happening. Do these people not read the news? Worse do their employers not keep themselves and their employees appraised of issues like this? It certainly seems to be happening a lot.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 591639/3921 Jediboy Last post Today at 08:47:42 AM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 570433/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 81/0 Jediboy Last post March 31, 2020, 01:52:43 PM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 361/13 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 151/5 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 25/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
xx Poll - Stuck at Home International Weekly Comp Entries 204/3 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:16:30 PM