What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...POLL - Something good, We...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...LIQUID - Entry thread - w...Tool Time PollPhoto show at the Nec - p...

Author Topic: New computer time  (Read 3187 times)

Offline irv_b

New computer time
« on: January 19, 2012, 07:22:56 PM »
Our main computer is on it's last legs (9ish years old Dell dimension 2400)so much that it's a pain to use it, so I have been looking around for something new. We have a 4 year old Mesh comp which has been reliable so far and they sent a newsletter with these  sale items and was wondering what you wiser tech heads thought:
http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODCATEGORYVIEWPAGE&USG=APPLICATION&ENT=APPLICATION&KEY=136463&x=1
So  I was fancying this one
http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTCONFIGPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=1005691
At a push depending on how much of a discount they give for students ( 1 kid at uni and 1 doing graphic art &design at 6th form next year) I could be seduced by Apple but will have to change all the editing software and wouldn't want to get into being Apple dependent, so has anyone knows/heard of better deals around!
TIA Irv

My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Offline bones615

Re: New computer time
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 07:32:57 PM »
Have a look in dixons/currys/pc world refurb section, you may get more for your money.  i have had 2 laptops and a desktop and have no complaints. Had problems with the latest desktop but they sorted it with no problems.

Simon

Offline irv_b

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:01:23 PM »
Thanks Simon but my foster son had a refurb lappy from PCworld and had the opposite experience to you! He had nothing but grief with it :(
My Gallery

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:06:48 PM »
The Mesh PC looks ok, but for that price only 4gb memory and 1tb hard drive isn't very good. Have a look at this one: http://www.dabs.com/products/hp-pavilion-h9-1040uk-core-i7-2600-8gb-ram-120gb-ssd-gtx-550-ti-w7hp-7PZ0.html?src=3 OK, it's a bit pricey and doesn't include a monitor. Set up correctly this will fly through anything you throw at it, and if Windows is set-up on the SSD, start-up will be two seconds, with all the applications you need ready started.  ;D

picsfor

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 03:37:26 PM »
Nice machine, but he's only £100 shy of a nice 27 iMac with Thunderbolt...

I mean, what's not to like about a shiny 27" iMac, and thunderbolt technology?

As for his kids - Dad would become so cool  8) getting an iMac, especially with their educational stuff  :tup:

Offline anglefire

• Canon Biggamist. Four bodies and some lenses. :)
  • Canon Owner and Proud of it :)
    • Mark Colston Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »
I have a 80Gb SSD in my latest home built PC - boot up is quick, but not 2seconds quick - about 30 from cold. I didn't g o for the fastest SSD available at the time, but an Intel one which has better reliability.

Programs do start very quickly though - they are a couple of seconds -even CS5 only takes a few seconds :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Offline spinner

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 11:20:21 PM »
Nice machine, but he's only £100 shy of a nice 27 iMac with Thunderbolt...

As for his kids - Dad would become so cool  8) getting an iMac, especially with their educational stuff  :tup:

Lion. A lot of software that worked with Snow Leopard don't work with Lion. That's why I haven't upgraded.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Offline Markulous

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 08:58:30 AM »
I'd be slightly wary of Mesh as they've not had resounding feedback on delivery times - and they did go bust not that long ago (but were picked up and carried on by their current parent company)

If you're going for 64bit it's pretty pointless not going for at least 8GB - but be prepared for some of your older peripherals having probs connecting through lack of 64bit drivers. SSD drives are OK but they don't actually prove to be much faster in the real world (set up 'doze on a 10k rpm drive with nothing else loading and you'd see - as you load additional startup apps and drivers it all slows down)
Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 09:32:16 AM »

Let's start with 'shiny'. Followed by 'white'. It could only be worse if it was pink.  :D
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline spinner

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 01:04:44 PM »

If you're going for 64bit it's pretty pointless not going for at least 8GB - but be prepared for some of your older peripherals having probs connecting through lack of 64bit drivers. SSD drives are OK but they don't actually prove to be much faster in the real world (set up 'doze on a 10k rpm drive with nothing else loading and you'd see - as you load additional startup apps and drivers it all slows down)

Yes, I'd forgotten about that, neither of my perfectly functioning HP items (scanner and printer) had 64 bit drivers so when I went Mac, I was forced to replace them.  :'(
Ol' blue eyes

Offline spinner

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »

Let's start with 'shiny'. Followed by 'white'. It could only be worse if it was pink.  :D

It's the 'shiny' bit that drew me to mine. But the 'white is at the back, the screen has a nice 'black' border and the bottom trim is brushed aluminium. But, like with Lion, 'thunderbolt' is a) too new and b) too proprietary, making it c) too expensive.
Ol' blue eyes

Offline irv_b

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, I thought this would happen and I'm now more indecisive :-[
OB I couldn't stretch to that much and to be honest I'm not a shiny kind of guy Andrew you've seen me and I how I dress  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
The hunt will go on! :legit:
My Gallery

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »
This probably won't help, but what I do is wait for whatever is my current PC to go belly up, and then hunt out the highest spec just obsolescent PC from the supermarket (we don't really have Currys type shops here, the supermarket sells Apples too). I don't worry too much about the hard drive size as all my data are on external drives anyway.

The last one was a bargain - a Packard Bell 32bit (3 years old now) that even with only 3gb RAM runs faster than our brand new 64bit lap top. Don't know why, it just does. I think it must have eaten some apples, because it's got 4 cores apparently ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 05:41:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, I thought this would happen and I'm now more indecisive :-[
OB I couldn't stretch to that much and to be honest I'm not a shiny kind of guy Andrew you've seen me and I how I dress  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

You are a plumber in London! Money is no problem.  8)

Offline irv_b

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 08:31:50 PM »

You are a plumber in London! Money is no problem.  8)

Ha ha if only ;D
My Gallery

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 591646/3921 Jediboy Last post Today at 08:47:42 AM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 570442/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 82/0 Jediboy Last post March 31, 2020, 01:52:43 PM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp CHAT thread International Weekly Comp Entries 363/13 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:12:04 AM
xx SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly Comp ENTRY thread International Weekly Comp Entries 151/5 Hinfrance Last post March 30, 2020, 09:08:37 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 25/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 65/0 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:21:27 PM
xx Poll - Stuck at Home International Weekly Comp Entries 206/3 Jediboy Last post March 29, 2020, 02:16:30 PM