• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 93
  • Total: 93
  • Bingbot
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Keeping the camera square..

Started by Geoff I, January 11, 2012, 10:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff I

Every time I use my camera I always find that I am taking pictures lob sided and I have to put them right in the editing software, do any of you have a trick you use to keep the pictures square when shooting.

Hinfrance

Quote from: Geoff I on January 11, 2012, 10:14:09 AM
Every time I use my camera I always find that I am taking pictures lob sided and I have to put them right in the editing software, do any of you have a trick you use to keep the pictures square when shooting.

I try to avoid being too drunk  :D

Lots of cameras have level displays, or you can get a level that fits on the hot shoe, or look for horizontal or vertical lines in the frame and align them. Or stop worrying about it, concentrate on the subject and just continue to do a bit of pp straightening.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

The HS20 has a built in Level like a pilot's line across the screen - perhaps only other recent cameras have this ?  :tup: :beer:

If you plumb for a vertical line one side of the view any lens distortion is often more noticable on the opposing side of the shot.

I often take shots that lean down on the right hand side when pressing too firmly on the shutter button  ;)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Just Dave

My 7D has a level indicator or have the grid showing , when use my 400D I use the AF spots as a guide to level my shots  :tup:
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Hinfrance

Quote from: Just Dave on January 11, 2012, 02:52:05 PM
My 7D has a level indicator or have the grid showing , when use my 400D I use the AF spots as a guide to level my shots  :tup:

. . . and there are framing markers on the focusing screen on the K20D.

I still reckon not worrying about it is probably the path to joy  :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Cathus

I have this all the time with sports photography, when you're flinging the camera all over the place it's unavoidable sometimes, I just get used to using the straighten tool in my workflow, on static shots, my tripod has a spirit level built in for when it's more important but I tend not to bother

michaelb104

Try using the focus points in your view finder to keep things level, this is especially useful if you have an horizon or something similar to check against.
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.