Horizons PollCanon EF L IS USM 500 f/4...Horizons ENTRIES 27/07...What annoyed you today?STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Com...STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1...POLL for TIME OUTTIME OUT. Chat thread wee...TIME OUT. Entry thread w...Horizons CHAT thread 2...POLL -NUMBERS and / or LE...NUMBERS and / or LETTERS ...POLL Happiness is.......Nice houseHappiness is.... Entry Th...Happiness is.... Chat Thr...

Author Topic: Keeping the camera square..  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Geoff I

• CC Regular visitor
Keeping the camera square..
« on: January 11, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »
Every time I use my camera I always find that I am taking pictures lob sided and I have to put them right in the editing software, do any of you have a trick you use to keep the pictures square when shooting.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
Re: Keeping the camera square..
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:42:51 AM »
Every time I use my camera I always find that I am taking pictures lob sided and I have to put them right in the editing software, do any of you have a trick you use to keep the pictures square when shooting.

I try to avoid being too drunk  :D

Lots of cameras have level displays, or you can get a level that fits on the hot shoe, or look for horizontal or vertical lines in the frame and align them. Or stop worrying about it, concentrate on the subject and just continue to do a bit of pp straightening.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Beaux Reflets

• Global Moderator
  • Commonsense answers a whole load of the unanswered
    • Beaux Reflets
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:25:50 PM »
The HS20 has a built in Level like a pilot's line across the screen - perhaps only other recent cameras have this ?  :tup: :beer:

If you plumb for a vertical line one side of the view any lens distortion is often more noticable on the opposing side of the shot.

I often take shots that lean down on the right hand side when pressing too firmly on the shutter button  ;)
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Offline Just Dave

• Holidays-Revealed
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 02:52:05 PM »
My 7D has a level indicator or have the grid showing , when use my 400D I use the AF spots as a guide to level my shots  :tup:
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 03:08:27 PM »
My 7D has a level indicator or have the grid showing , when use my 400D I use the AF spots as a guide to level my shots  :tup:

. . . and there are framing markers on the focusing screen on the K20D.

I still reckon not worrying about it is probably the path to joy  :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Cathus

• http://blog.glnphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »
I have this all the time with sports photography, when you're flinging the camera all over the place it's unavoidable sometimes, I just get used to using the straighten tool in my workflow, on static shots, my tripod has a spirit level built in for when it's more important but I tend not to bother

Offline michaelb104

• michaelb104
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 04:19:01 PM »
Try using the focus points in your view finder to keep things level, this is especially useful if you have an horizon or something similar to check against.
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx Horizons Poll International Weekly Comp Entries 18/0 jinky Last post Today at 10:13:43 AM
xx Canon EF L IS USM 500 f/4 for sale Lenses 58/2 Hinfrance Last post Today at 08:05:53 AM
xx Horizons ENTRIES 27/07 - 02/08/20 International Weekly Comp Entries 210/5 Oldboy Last post August 03, 2020, 10:25:12 PM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 635211/3972 Jediboy Last post August 03, 2020, 02:13:31 PM
question STREET-ENTRIES-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 42/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
smiley STREET-CHAT-Weekly Comp 1/8-9/8/2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 28/0 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 04:05:33 PM
xx POLL for TIME OUT International Weekly Comp Entries 180/3 Hinfrance Last post August 01, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
xx TIME OUT. Chat thread weekly comp. International Weekly Comp Entries 218/4 Jediboy Last post July 27, 2020, 11:31:15 PM