POLL - Home and GardenHOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly ...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5...POLL - Something good, We...FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES ...What annoyed you today?What made you feel good t...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...SOMETHING GOOD - Weekly C...Poll - Stuck at HomeJoke of the day ENTRIES Stuck at Home 17...CHAT -Stuck at Home 17-22...LIQUID- POLLLIQUID - Chat thread week...

Author Topic: Chat Thread for weekly competition 09-16 Jan: Exercise  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Reinardina

• Still trying to master photography.
Chat Thread for weekly competition 09-16 Jan: Exercise
« on: January 08, 2012, 11:00:26 AM »
Exercise.

During the festive season, due to the unhealthy intake of cholesterol and booze, a lot of people decide, to finally take up some form of exercise in the new year.
I didn't of course, as I know my limitations, and I have the impression that most of you didn't go down that road either. I'd much prefer more cake and champagne too!
But, to stay on other people's resolution theme, I'd like to see photos of people exercising.
Gym, jogging, golf, tai chi, yoga, team sports, whatever takes your fancy. Everything is welcome. 

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 09th Jan 2012 to 23:59 Sunday  15th Jan 2012 .
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 16th January 2012.
Poll will hopefully be up Tuesday 17th January 2012.
Winner to be announced Saturday 21st Jan 2012.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Offline Reinardina

Re: Chat Thread for weekly competition 09-16 Jan: Exercise
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:11:21 AM »
Going to be the first to comment on my own new theme.

I find it terribly difficult to photograph moving targets, partly because of my eye problems. I want to have a go at a jogger (not literally of course), and I want to make it a panning shot.

In the past I have accidentally made one good panning shot; after that I never managed it again. So any advice is welcome.
(Probably not the right thread, but I'll see what I can glean here, and move to another thread if the harvest is poor.)

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 05:18:19 PM »
You mean like this?  ;D

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:44:21 PM »
Do you mean for me, or the competition? It is a sport shot, so it should be okay for the comp, but personally I want to go for solo or duo acts.

I'd rather have one or two joggers, that's a bit easier on the eye. And for my shot, I want it 'panned,' as that is something I can't do. I want to use this comp to learn that aspect of photography.

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:33:02 PM »
Do you mean for me, or the competition? It is a sport shot, so it should be okay for the comp, but personally I want to go for solo or duo acts.

I'd rather have one or two joggers, that's a bit easier on the eye. And for my shot, I want it 'panned,' as that is something I can't do. I want to use this comp to learn that aspect of photography.

Err, it was panned but at 1000's. What you are talking about is blur to show movement. It wouldn't be OK for the competition, as it was shot on Saturday.  :D

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »
Yeah, that's the one. The 'movement' blur. After my, beginners luck, first panning shot that came out well, I've never managed it again.

Offline jinky

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 06:44:02 AM »
Depending on the subject my successful panning shots have generally been in the 1/40th to 1/125th of a second and with some subjects be prepared for high numbers of failures.Panning at 1/1000 th would not give much of what Reinardina is looking for - can it be called panning at that shutter speed in effect oldboy?

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 07:49:06 AM »
Thanks Jinky. Here's hoping the weather is good enough, when I can go out. And that that coincides with the joggers!

Offline Oldboy

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »
Depending on the subject my successful panning shots have generally been in the 1/40th to 1/125th of a second and with some subjects be prepared for high numbers of failures.Panning at 1/1000 th would not give much of what Reinardina is looking for - can it be called panning at that shutter speed in effect oldboy?

It doesn't matter what speed you shoot at, panning is following an object as it moves across your field of vision.  :tup:

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 09:30:39 AM »

I second this, with the caveat that the lower end of the range is suitable for joggers and slow bicycles, the higher end for something like traffic in a built up area. You might need to turn off your image stabilisation to get good results.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 06:52:40 PM »
Weather permitting I'll have a go at the joggers tomorrow. Thanks for the tip about the stabilisation.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 01:41:12 PM »
This one is not looking too promising for me.

I'm personally not given to exercise, and as Andy will tell you the current laws on photography here make street shots a tad problematic at times.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 03:46:21 PM »
This one is not looking too promising for me.

I'm personally not given to exercise, and as Andy will tell you the current laws on photography here make street shots a tad problematic at times.

H! You disappoint me! You have 'used and abused' your wife for all sorts of photographs; can't she do a little run in the garden? Or one of those exercises,  we're all supposed to do after the calorific festive season? Or skip? Jog on the spot? Hold a ball up in the air? Strike a ballet pose? I bet you can think of loads more, and as long as they're decent, they'll count.

Offline Reinardina

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »
I had hoped to kill two birds with one stone (that's a sport too, surely?) and practise panning, while trying to catch someone exercising. Concentrated on joggers and cyclists, and this one is the best of the lot. Found it darn hard to get it right, but made some progress. Still a long way to go though.

Offline Hinfrance

• Global Moderator
  • Cake is good
    • Hinfrance
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 01:15:05 PM »
Managed to get away from the weekend melée for a few minutes to sneak and entry in. All done in a bit of a rush.

No panning involved. No aging men were injured in the creation of this image, although the proximity to exercise equipment was very stressful:

Pumping Lard:

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

latest Posts

Subject Board Views/Replies Member Date & Time
xx POLL - Home and Garden International Weekly Comp Entries 88/0 Jediboy Last post April 07, 2020, 11:06:27 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp CHAT THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 184/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:46:19 AM
xx HOME AND GARDEN - Weekly Comp ENTRY THREAD International Weekly Comp Entries 173/4 anglefire Last post April 07, 2020, 07:45:17 AM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY CHAT - 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 110/4 Jediboy Last post April 06, 2020, 04:14:53 PM
xx POLL - Something good, Weekly Competition International Weekly Comp Entries 232/5 Jediboy Last post April 05, 2020, 11:46:39 PM
xx FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY ENTRIES 5th-12th April 2020 International Weekly Comp Entries 69/0 jinky Last post April 05, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
xx What annoyed you today? General Discussion 594817/3924 Oldboy Last post April 02, 2020, 06:25:36 PM
xx What made you feel good today General Discussion 571987/3895 Oldboy Last post April 01, 2020, 10:38:32 AM